Berger bullet performance

Only ? I have ever had MYSELF is why at 150 yards or so I didnt have an exit on that coyote.

I have quite a bit of experience with Bergers on lots of different game. To your question I would have to ask was this a lighter weight bullet with a pretty fast muzzle velocity? Tight twist or 3 grove rifling? I have talked to some guys that had experiences like this with the above criteria.

Jeff

I have quite a bit of experience with Bergers on lots of different game. To your question I would have to ask was this a lighter weight bullet with a pretty fast muzzle velocity? Tight twist or 3 grove rifling? I have talked to some guys that had experiences like this with the above criteria.

Jeff

Same load my sisters have used on the deer and almost had exits at 520 and did at 450.
Rem factory barrel
95gn VLD @ 3136 fps.

Its just odd to me is all. Most all other coyotes it leaves massive exits.

Skewed? Not from this guy. I trusted him with my life in the back country and trust his word 100%. Like i stated earlier they must have been 185's. I know he said 180 something. Yes they were hand loads.Trust me Bergers is all I shoot out of my rifles and all that I load in my buddies Creedmoor and brothers .260. So when I say im a HUGE Berger fan I mean it. Thats why im stumped on what happened with both the Elk and the Bear.
My .243 and 95gn VLD's have accounted for ALOT of coyotes and multiple Muley bucks, longest being 520yards through the heart and he didnt take but 3 steps and his offside shoulder was absolutely destroyed. Now I have had a couple weird things tho, I have shot coyotes at 100 yards quartered to me with no exit hole. 3136fps!!!!
My sister this yr shot a muley on the walk at 175 yards and it hunched up and continued to walk, before we could get in position for another shot it had traveled over 150 yards and into no hunting. NOT A DROP OF BLOOD. Gut shot maybe?? I dont know.
That same night she shot another buck at 180 yards and it dropped like a rock then tried to get up and her and my other sister both missed and next thing they knew it was up and running. 2 small quarter size spots of blood where it was on the ground. (My guess is just grazed the neck enough it stunned it and when it came to was off and gone) So I have had a couple weird happenings but it worked great also on my spring bear. 287 yards if I remember right and hit him at the back of vitals then 2nd shot quartered to dropped him like a sack of taters.

I see way too many shot (abandoned) animals and left to die stories in here, This makes me sick and this is what gives the LRH crowd a bad name.

You (or someone in your party) puts a ****** shot on a animal, YOU find it! ******** on the "no hunting" area, I dont care if the deer goes in to a shopping mall, Whoever fires on it owes it as clean and quick of kill as possible.

I gotta go, I feel sick. (my buddy says.....:rolleyes:)

Same load my sisters have used on the deer and almost had exits at 520 and did at 450.
Rem factory barrel
95gn VLD @ 3136 fps.

Its just odd to me is all. Most all other coyotes it leaves massive exits.

This reminds me of a coyote I shot many years ago with a 243 and factory ammo. It was a shoulder hit at probably 150 to 200 yards. I heard the impact and it was loud. The bullet didn't exit (not even sure what it was, probably a soft point of some sort) but man what a hole it made.

Jeff

I see way too many shot (abandoned) animals and left to die stories in here, This makes me sick and this is what gives the LRH crowd a bad name.

You (or someone in your party) puts a ****** shot on a animal, YOU find it! ******** on the "no hunting" area, I dont care if the deer goes in to a shopping mall, Whoever fires on it owes it as clean and quick of kill as possible.

I gotta go, I feel sick. (my buddy says.....:rolleyes:)

Ur a special kinda (fill in the blank) arent you??
Not a drop of blood was found in the 1hr we looked over the 150 yards we could look in. If we had found blood trust me I would have went in after it. BUT here you trespass regardless if you have blood or not YOU COULD GO TO JAIL BRING FOR CRIMINAL TRESPASS and knowing the land owner I wasnt going to take that risk when we had ZERO BLOOD.

Nobody abandoned any animal. Did you not read the whole Fing thread? 1.5 miles up a creek in the back country is far from abandoned. So is the we watch the buck get up and run off over a mile away with 2 quarter sized drops of blood. (But I guess I didnt post that part.)

Ur the type that makes himself out to be 100% perfect and never lost or missed an animal. (Yeah right) BE REAL! NOT THE INTERNET PERFECTIONIST YOU MAKE URSELF OUT TO BE.

Close range high speed impacts can be pretty explosive, put a little range on it and they settle down and performance can even up no mater the bullet. We use Berger varmint bullets in out 22-250's to shoot antelope and deer nearly every one exits and it just crushes them, even putting it through the shoulder it makes it to the far side and the chest cavity will be soup.
I had a 270 WSM that I would smoke 140's out of, did awesome until the throat got shot out and then I was stressing the jackets so hard they would explode on impact or tumble.

There are a things we can do or things that the rifle is doing that makes the bullet perform differently than what is typical, many stop at that and call it a bullet failure but it's worth finding the CAUSE of the perceived bullet failure.
I've had many copper bullets "fail" but for the most part it's just that I'm shooting them out of there operating range which really is not a bullet failure but me just pushing it.

This reminds me of a coyote I shot many years ago with a 243 and factory ammo. It was a shoulder hit at probably 150 to 200 yards. I heard the impact and it was loud. The bullet didn't exit (not even sure what it was, probably a soft point of some sort) but man what a hole it made.

Jeff

Jeff thanks for being level headed with me.
That coyote was shot in the point of the shoulder but only way I found the hole was the blood running out. But the cavity was mush!

Close range high speed impacts can be pretty explosive, put a little range on it and they settle down and performance can even up no mater the bullet. We use Berger varmint bullets in out 22-250's to shoot antelope and deer nearly every one exits and it just crushes them, even putting it through the shoulder it makes it to the far side and the chest cavity will be soup.
I had a 270 WSM that I would smoke 140's out of, did awesome until the throat got shot out and then I was stressing the jackets so hard they would explode on impact or tumble.

There are a things we can do or things that the rifle is doing that makes the bullet perform differently than what is typical, many stop at that and call it a bullet failure but it's worth finding the CAUSE of the perceived bullet failure.
I've had many copper bullets "fail" but for the most part it's just that I'm shooting them out of there operating range which really is not a bullet failure but me just pushing it.

Hey thanks for thinking out of the box. I also shoot 52 & 55g Bergers out of my 22-250 but only for coyotes. They definitely do a number on the inside.

Berger 95gn VLD 450 yards. Berger 95gn VLD 378 yards Berger 95gn VLD 520 yards. (Offside shoulder)

Like I have been saying im a HUGE Berger fan! Just a couple weird things to me that dont make sence.

First time using berger bullets this year. Im shooting 180 gr Hybrids out of my 7LRM with a MV of 3077. I connected on a bull elk at 235 yards slightly quartering to. Found the bullet on the offside hide.

It weighed in at 80 grains +/-. I was happy with the results. Hope to poke a few more holes in some critters in the next month.

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpg
    IMG_6837.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6838.jpg
    IMG_6838.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6839.jpg
    IMG_6839.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 60
First time using berger bullets this year. Im shooting 180 gr Hybrids out of my 7LRM with a MV of 3077. I connected on a bull elk at 235 yards slightly quartering to. Found the bullet on the offside hide.

It weighed in at 80 grains +/-. I was happy with the results. Hope to poke a few more holes in some critters in the next month.

Nice work Speeders!

Ur a special kinda (fill in the blank) arent you??
I've been called worse, I have a tendency to say what I feel without putting it through the sensitivity filter before I have my coffee especially.

Ur the type that makes himself out to be 100% perfect and never lost or missed an animal. (Yeah right) BE REAL! NOT THE INTERNET PERFECTIONIST YOU MAKE URSELF OUT TO BE.

Not even close.
It's kinda ignorant to know how I make myself out buy one internet post. I don't claim to be nor act like a super badass hunter, long range or otherwise but I have never lost as many animals as this one thread contains nor has anyone I have been hunting with but I do usually fill my tags. I did loose one bear many years ago and after three days of looking we could not find it, IT MADE ME SICK. I have passed up a few really good animals because they were beyond MY comfort zone or at poor angles. YMMV.

That bear did survive though as it was seen the next fall, I still feel bad for injuring him.

I have a right as you did to another earlier to call ******** on a post if I feel it's fitting. Even if I'm wrong and or don't know the whole situation, That is a downfall to the typed word and second or third or fourth or... hand information.

I don't know if this makes me look like less of a "Fill in the blank" or not but it is a effort.

That is one beautiful bear in the pic by the way.

I've been called worse, I have a tendency to say what I feel without putting it through the sensitivity filter before I have my coffee especially.

Not even close.
It's kinda ignorant to know how I make myself out buy one internet post. I don't claim to be nor act like a super badass hunter, long range or otherwise but I have never lost as many animals as this one thread contains nor has anyone I have been hunting with but I do usually fill my tags. I did loose one bear many years ago and after three days of looking we could not find it, IT MADE ME SICK. I have passed up a few really good animals because they were beyond MY comfort zone or at poor angles. YMMV.

Whos to say they didnt look sufficiently for the bear and it also didnt survive??(Nobody will ever know)
The 1 buck I think my sister gut shot, was (I think) the 1 downfall Berger bullets at a high speed might have. Close range not a lung or good vitals shot they grenade and dont do efficient damage fast enough (atleast in this case before it got into no hunting ground) and with no exit since it grenaded their was no blood.
The 2nd deer that dropped like a rock and eventually got up and took off they watched go over a mile and didnt act like it was hurt at all. Nor did they find anymore blood then the 2 small quarter sizes spots. A very minor flesh wound could have more blood then that. So im pretty confident that deer was fine also. (Again never really know) Was it a bad shot? ABSOLUTELY!!!! .

Everyone who hunt long enough and takes enough shot will eventually loose an animal. Its just part of hunting and we all hate to see that

I do appreciate the response! As I have said, I only posted to see if anyone had had anykind of similar issues cause I myself was floored when I was told.

Thank you, it has 2 white strips on its chest also.

Sounds like to me the guy had maybe a nice rifle, nice range find, and some reloading equipment. AND MORE THAN LIKLY NO CLUE WHAT TO DO WITH ANY OF IT BESIDES ACTING LIKE HE DID!!!!!!!! It doesn't take skill to spend money on nice gear.
Kind of like soon as you start talking a little about long range shooting how every one Knows a SNIPER are was one r is one r what ever. I love to set back and listen to people talk 90% if not more have no clue. Most REAL Snipers don't run around telling every one they where are bragging about it. Those that can do DO and those that can't talk about it. Not that your buddy isn't i'm just saying thats how it is now a days with more long range stuff out there. I couldn't tell you how many Hunters i have guided that where "Rangers, seals, snipers" that could not hit a wall in a barn with a 12GA

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.