Berger 140 Elite hunters vs Hornady 143 ELD-X

Haven't tried the 140 EOL but use the VLD, this years Antelope 849 punch both lungs fell in his tracks. The MD in my avatar 1135 through and through Took 1 step fell over and bled out. I haven't needed to look for blood trail with the Berger yet. That being said i am gonna try the 147 eld M I'm kinda curious my self how good they are go a work.

Eldx up to and including deer. Over deer use eldm. Eldx has a very thin jacket.

Thin at the front, quite substantial along the shank. I have killed a few things with the ELD-X and a LOT of things with the VLD Bergers. Last year I killed my 6x6 bull elk with a 143 ELD-X out of my 6.5-284. DRT and the bullet expanded AND exited. This was about about 215 yards I think.

The Bergers are probably easier to get to shoot but they aren't as good at the extreme ends of the velocity as the tipped bullet. My group killed 3 bucks this week with Bergers, performance was great but if you hit the wrong spot, you're going to loose some meat.

6.5x284
143 ELD-X BEFORE AND AFTER.jpg
143  ELD-X SHOT.jpg

Hornady 6.5 143 EXD-X
2735 FPS @ muzzle
185 yards, mature mule deer quartering away.
Entered and broke second to last rib, exited body cavity and lodged in muscle of off shoulder.
Before weight 143 gr.........after weight 56 gr.

I liked the BC and accuracy of this load but was hoping it would hold together a little better.
It only hit one bone, (rib), and this is what is left. I worry about taking a high shoulder shot, or heaven forbid I make a "bad" shot, definitely will not use it on elk.
Will go back to the drawing board and try a Barnes LRX
or become a better shot

Tagging in. I have my first 6.5 Creed on the way and I'm going to start out with the Precision Hunter 143 ELDx.....should be able to shoot a couple deer this year. I've used both the Berger and ELDx out of my .30 cals and always been happy with both.

We shot a whitetail last night with a 143 ELD-X. Broke two bones and exited. Deer went on his nose. 2975 muzzle velocity, buck was shot at 88 yards.

With the Bergers, it is a good idea to use a small safety pin of very small drill bit and verify that the hollow point is not filled in or closed up. I find that about a third of them usually are. Some of them I can clean and open up. Others I cannot. I use the cannots for target. Theory is the ones filled up with polishing compound don't consistently expand and tend to pincel thru game. Lots of folks do this.
This is what makes me nervous about Bergers. They have certainly shot well for me though.

Interesting how views on bullets differ. They'll all kill if put in the right place. The Berger HVLD and Hornady ELDM's are hands down my favorite varmint bullets. I've shot a few elk with them but they're basically improved versions of the old school cup and core bullets and ruin too much meat for my liking. If they made a bonded version they would be a vastly improved big game bullet, in my opinion anyway. The Nosler Accubond bullet has been my go-to bullet since they came out. I really like the performance of Barnes bullets as well at the close or medium ranges most big game is taken at. I was really happy with the Berger 180 grain HVLD in a 7 mag on an elk taken at 1098 yards. I'm now developing a load for a .300 WSM intended for shooting across a canyon I regularly hunt. I've got 1K Berger 215 grain hybrids and expect they'll be just the thing for the 600-1200 yard shots.

I've had very good luck with Berger I run the 140 and 156 in my saum Last year I ran the 143 eldx due to the lack of availability on Berger in Canada. Both pass through shots on deer, 1@ 381 and 1@ 903 The shot closer in was no issues Clean kill and very little damage The longer shot was also a pass through but it shredded everything through the vitals, it was certainly fatal, but very messy

Berger all the way. Amazing accuracy and always DRT. I've shot 2 cow elk from 225 to 400 yds both DRT. Several deer and antelope from 75 yds out to 580, none took more the a step or two. And recently two axis deer with the 156 under 100yds, one went 20 yds and one went 40 yds. First 2 pics are an antelope shot twice at 530 yds with 156. He was bedded when I shot him and he rolled to his feet so I hit him again. Second pic is an axis buck shot with the 156.

Attachments

• 20211001_113303(0).jpg
    20211001_113303(0).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6474.jpg
    IMG_6474.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20211029_184404.jpg
    20211029_184404.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • 20211029_180834.jpg
    20211029_180834.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
I use the 143s out of my Creed for coyotes. Devastating to them. Haven't tried on deer since I've had a .300wm, but I'm currently building a 6.5-284 pack rifle for deer and I will be using the eldx out of it.
I use the ELD-X 143 also, devastating on everything, also have shot the Berger 140 and they are awesome also and fly almost the same as the 143's, but my 6.5 C Bergara loves the 143's, mils @ .25 at 100 and under .50 at 200yd, at 300 yd still drives them in a 1" hole. That Bergara just loves the 143's . Partner has the same 6.5 C and has dropped those Mexico small deer at 750 yds., Couse deer ?