Bench Rest Primers

I knew a guy that used to work on the line making cci primers, asked him the same thing long ago. His exact comment i will never forget, "they have a B stamped on the cup and we make sure they are all anvil side up in the tray….." Pressing him a bit more, he said the only difference is you had to have a certain number of hours on the primer line before you could make BR primers….. same cup, same components, just a bit more experienced person running the machine….

For some period of time Federal GM215M (match) primers were impossible to find. You were lucky to even find regular Fed 215 primers. Several gunsmiths told me that they could not see the difference, on paper, when switching to the reg 215 primers.

For some period of time Federal GM215M (match) primers were impossible to find. You were lucky to even find regular Fed 215 primers. Several gunsmiths told me that they could not see the difference, on paper, when switching to the reg 215 primers.
I have found the 215M primer to be a cooler primer then the standard 215. In my big wildcats, top performance is the same, but with the 215M primer, generally need 1-2 grains more powder to reach same velocity. Only difference i have seen between those. In smaller chamberings, i am sure the difference would be very hard to see.

Have to mention something from the past. Bob Jensen at one time owned a gunshop here in Tucson called Jensen's. He was a high power shooter. When a new lot of primers showed up, he had one of his employees test them for consistency. He would use a carefully sized piece of brass in 17 cal. A bullet or maybe it was a BB was loaded into the case and primers were tested for velocity. Lots with low ES were set aside for his competition. Bill Hardy shared that story with me at least 25 yrs ago.

Have to mention something from the past. Bob Jensen at one time owned a gunshop here in Tucson called Jensen's. He was a high power shooter. When a new lot of primers showed up, he had one of his employees test them for consistency. He would use a carefully sized piece of brass in 17 cal. A bullet or maybe it was a BB was loaded into the case and primers were tested for velocity. Lots with low ES were set aside for his competition. Bill Hardy shared that story with me at least 25 yrs ago.
WOW! That brings back memories. I used to frequent Jensen's when I was stationed at DMAFB in 1992-96. I think I still have primers, ammo, and shot shells somewhere.

Like most, I heard the same thing, QC/QA is the difference. If more experience operator mean better QA/QC, so be it. I have a mixture of Ms, non-Ms, BRs, and non-BRs, with very good results. Cheers!

Ed

I remember, good old days. I remember the Jensen's bumper stickers too. It was a great shop.