One piece bench rest vs. 2 piece

kuduman

Asking opinions for a friend,,,,, he is in the market to buy a quality bench rest for load development and for determining drop charts. No Competition shooting.
Will be shooting 22's to 340wby's. Our question has to do with design, not brand names. Does one have an advantage over the other and if so, what would that be ??

A 2 piece will generally give tighter groups if used correctly. A one piece is better for velocity ladder as they generally grip the rifle and take away some of variations of our shoulders. This is just from my experience.

I have used both over the years, but now only use the one-piece by
www.targetshooting.com. I've done all my testing for the last 5 years and have been well pleased.

It is very solid on the bench. When adjustments are dialed in and tightened, it stays on target. Adjustments from target to target are very smooth and consise.

IMG_20201006_123427673_HDR.jpg

You can make a middle piece that helps with alignment of a two piece setup and then just remove before shooting, they do that for 1,000 yard light gun shooting where a one piece is not regulation

You can make a middle piece that helps with alignment of a two piece setup and then just remove before shooting, they do that for 1,000 yard light gun shooting where a one piece is not regulation

Can you elaborate on this? Having a hard time picturing it.

Can you elaborate on this? Having a hard time picturing it.
Usually your front rest is mounted on an aluminum plate, and you use a rear bag, some guys take plywood and make a bracket that is shaped to match aluminum plate in front and rear bag in back and it aligns rest to keep the gun tracking inline also the front to back distance that matches their gun, then they simple remove it, speeds up the alignment of a two pc system when you have limited set up time.

2 cents: As long as you're not trapping the butt, preventing the gun from recoiling, I don't think you'll see much difference for the results of your stated use. I suspect a couple of good bags would suffice.

Sorry, not looking toward buying a shooting bench, looking for the pros and cons of the one and two piece rests

Asking opinions for a friend,,,,, he is in the market to buy a quality bench rest for load development and for determining drop charts. No Competition shooting.
Will be shooting 22's to 340wby's. Our question has to do with design, not brand names. Does one have an advantage over the other and if so, what would that be ??
Two piece! Most ones have a cradle that cups the stock....recoil can be damaging to the gun and scope! Just me!