Bedding scope base

KurtB

Is there a good tutorial video on scope base bedding? I just got this nightforce base for my 7mm and want to bed the base to try and minimize the risk of it shifting if dropped or otherwise abused.

The action is coated with Birdsong Black T so guessing it won't be hard to keep the bedding from sticking to the receive:) Any input appreciated. Thank you

I have not watched my smith install a rail but he has told me this is what he does. First start with a quality rail I use Near.

He jigs the rifle up in his mill all straight and square with the world then using a dial indicator makes the adjustment to the receiver so that the rail ends up aligned properly. He then mounts the rail with a bedding compound verifying that things are right using the dial indicator. Of course there is more to it but you get the idea. It's all about taking the stress out of the scope when it is mounted.

I'm putting together a 300 WM and will spend more time looking over his shoulder when he is open to it during the next rail mount. Will ask him if I can video the process.

With all due respect to your gunsmith, I don't think a vertical mill and dial indicators are necessary to align the base. I use a 16" steel ruler to check alignment of the base to the barrel with very good results.

There are YouTube videos showing the process. Contrary to some videos, I recommend keeping the screw torque low (< 3 in lbs) during epoxy cure. You do not want any stress in the base when you the bedding is complete. Torquing down the base prior to epoxy cure pre-stresses the base. I torque down the screws to ~5 in lbs to squeeze out excess epoxy, then back off ~1/4 turn and let it the epoxy cure overnight.

Is there a good tutorial video on scope base bedding? I just got this nightforce base for my 7mm and want to bed the base to try and minimize the risk of it shifting if dropped or otherwise abused.

The action is coated with Birdsong Black T so guessing it won't be hard to keep the bedding from sticking to the receive:) Any input appreciated. Thank you

I like this way, and it works great.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/bedding-scope-mount-136628/

If this link doesn't work you can find it at http://www.jecustom.com/index.php?pg=Home&cmd=Cell&cell=Links Under
links.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

That link worked. That is exactly what I was hoping to find. Will give it a run on that base.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.