Bedding base and Lapping Rings

Just out of curiosity why would you not lap the rings?

Rob

With quality rings Lapping is not required. I only recommend lapping as a last resort because sometimes lapping can cause other problems.

I have replaced many rings that were lapped and would not hold the scope in place because they were not of good quality and were reamed enough to clean them up and consequently they would no longer hold the scope in place during firing.

I have a scope ring reamer and have never had to use it. If the rings don't fit my scope mandrels
I simply replace them.

J E CUSTOM

I bed my scope bases and lap the rings. Bases and rings are subject to human error, however slight, during the machining process. I recommend lapping the rings to make certain all is straight and true. IMHO, not ruining the scope/scope finish on an expensive optic is incentive enough to make lapping the rings worthwhile. The process is not rocket science and requires a minimal equipment investment. If lapping is not your cup of tea, I would recommend Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts. These will protect your scopes' finish and offers misalignment/MOA corrections by using offset inserts. Not saying my way is right or the only way, it is my way.

I will agree that if rings are not in alignment that they can and will damage the scope finish.

Alignment Is the key in preventing scope damage and I find so many scope rings that are not installed correctly as the #1 cause of scope damage. Next is cheep/poor quality bases and rings
that aren't even close to perfect. Why people will buy a $1200.00+ scope and install a set of $50.00
rings and bases is beyond me.

Over the years I have ruled out many brands of scope rings and bases because of there quality
and precision. If I have to modify any part of the rings or bases I return them and replace them with a better quality product.

With that said, Installation is still very important even with a $200.00+ set of rings and bases.

I use a 1" or 30mm mandrel to align my rings before I set the scope in them. This verifies they are in alignment both axial and level so that there is no difference in ring height and alignment. with the rings almost made up the mandrels will slide easily back and forth if the rings are perfectly aligned.

I have loosened scope rings and seen the scope move because of poor installation and normally the scope is marked or scratched.

IMO cheep rings and bases and/or poor installation lead to damaged scopes. Quality rings and bases and proper installation generally lead to a damage free installation.

It is harder and sometimes takes more time to properly align scope bases and rings than just bolt them down and let the reamer do the alignment.

I am definitely telling any not to ream there rings just trying to emphasize the importance of proper
installation.

Just my opinion and method.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.