Bedding Compound - yes I've searched

Nice kit Hired Gun ! Lol. When I get really old and child like maybe the nurses will get me one just like it . :) . Complete with JB Weld and a toy rifle to bed !

The ProBed 2000 looks very interesting, and in fact I have some but have not yet tried it.

ProBed 2000 is specifically designed to bed rifles. The builder that turned me on to it was telling me of its chemistry, sort of a parallel to synthetic motor oil, where all of the particles are equal in size. I love it and always request Dave Bruno to use it or marine tex gray as 2nd choice. Moisture has no affect on ProBed 2000 where some of the Devcons it can. I don't like the thought of risking even a slight distortion in bedding after I've hunted in the rain or had moisture on the rifle.

Some people, when they try ProBed the first time or two say they don't like it as well, but naturally, that's because they are used to Devcon, Accraglass, marine tex gray, etc.

Start using that ProBed in a few rifles and my best guess is you will prefer it. Half of my custom rifles have ProBed compound and all are shooters, much much better than I can do anyway.

I liked this one cause it had the barrel vice and action wrench. Now if I can find a lathe and mill without sharp edges or small parts I can swallow.

I liked this one cause it had the barrel vice and action wrench. Now if I can find a lathe and mill without sharp edges or small parts I can swallow.

If you find one let me know so I can let the family know before my mind goes and they pack me off to nursing home.

I have used Brownells SteelBed on 8-10 rifles over the years and find it easy to use - for the same reasons as stated above, and the convience of everthing in one box means no searching for other components (Mixing cups, mixing sticks, measuring spoon, release agent, release agent applicator). The small kit costs $50.00 but you could definetly bed 4 rifles and probably 5 with it. SteelBed has an indefinite shelf life.

I have used Devcon, and JB, but after using SteelBed there is no going back.

Rob

Devcon, period.

I've been using it for over 25 years with great success. I pillar bedded my Model 70 270 Winchester with Devcon over 20 years ago. I use this rifle hard. The bedding is still flawless. No movement, chemical reactions, chipping, etc. I get groups of less than .5 MOA every time I shoot this rifle at the range. And you can believe me because I never lie and I'm always right!

I use 4 to 1 epoxy with glass fibers mixed in to glue in the pillars (need tensile strength here), then I bed the rest with Devcon.

Anyone ever use Hornady One Shot Case Lube as a release agent?
I use to use Johnson's Paste Wax as my release agent until someone turned me on to the One Shot. Clean up is way easier.

I use the One Shot on top of the kiwi neutral polish. I haven't been brave enough to go with just One Shot yet. I have started to polish the kiwi pretty hard though.

The problem with One Shot or any other spray that isn't wiped dry is it causes hydraulic looking pits and it can blend with the bedding causing it to be weak. Kiwi polishes off real nice and sticking is not a problem. This gives a real solid impression of the action that just can't be had by having a product on the metal that leaves a build up.

Devcon steel. Ive done 2 of my rifles using the plain old devcon steel putty (1lb), (24 hr cure) perfect consistency like peanut butter, no shrinkage, impervious to solvents & rock solid. I also used kiwi shoe polish (neutral color) and it turned out perfect. Its all I'll ever use going forward.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.