Bedding Compound Removal ????

elkaholic

Well, after years of bedding rifles, I got in a little too much of a hurry and managed to stick some bedding compound to my action. What is the best way to remove this without scratching my action or worse?.....Rich

Well, after years of bedding rifles, I got in a little too much of a hurry and managed to stick some bedding compound to my action. What is the best way to remove this without scratching my action or worse?.....Rich

It happens to everyone. Try a wood tung depressor, I use them to mix the bedding compound
and if I get some on the action I use the tung depressor to scrape it off. the wood is tough but
wont scratch the action.

To help prevent this I normally coat the entire action with wax before bedding. I use the wax as
a release agent.

J E CUSTOM

It happens to everyone. Try a wood tung depressor, I use them to mix the bedding compound
and if I get some on the action I use the tung depressor to scrape it off. the wood is tough but
wont scratch the action.

To help prevent this I normally coat the entire action with wax before bedding. I use the wax as
a release agent.

J E CUSTOM

Hi Jerry......Nope, it's worse than that! The compound is set up.....Rich

I use a wood dowel and tap it with a hammer to chip it of. A soft wire wheel in a dremel works very well also and leaves the finish alone.

The last bolt action rifle I glass bedded was a Mauser brand rifle back in 1976. It had a nice wooden stock in caliber .222 Remington. Mostly used it to hunt red fox back in Michigan. The fore end of the stock never did release from the barrel. The butt and pistol grip separated from the barreled action thru the magazine box cutout, as I recall. Last I ever used that rifle. Took it to a gunsmith to get it restocked and his gun shop burnt down while my rifle was there. I concluded that this particular rifle and I were meant to part ways... :)

Last edited:
The last bolt action rifle I glass bedded was a Mauser brand rifle back in 1976. It has a nice wooden stock in caliber .222 Remington. Mostly used it to hunt red fox back in Michigan. The fore end of the stock never did release from the barrel. The butt and pistol grip separated from the barreled action thru the magazine box cutout, as I recall. Last I ever used that rifle. Took it to a gunsmith to get it restocked and his gun shop burnt down while my rifle was there. I concluded that this particular rifle and I were meant to part ways... :)

That sounds like a "YOOPER" rifle Paul!:D

Shave of as much of the compound as possible without touching the metal work . Then experiment with different solvents to see what softens it .
Then using that solvent soak and scrape gently with a hard wood scraper .
If you used anything with epoxy in it it may be hard going and you could try Dynasolve CU-6 to soften epoxy .
Heat can also soften epoxy .

Try Freezing it overnight. This is the best way to remove a stock that has been bedded to a barrel.

The coefficient of expansion of the bedding is different that the metal parts and sometimes it releases its self in the freezer.

After freezing use the tong depressor to scrape it off.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

Maybe somebody can confirm this. I used to live on a boat and did ALOT of fiberglass work. A heat gun was my best friend when working with stubborn epoxies and resins. Again, seek confirmation first. I would contact the manufacturer.

I think I caused a little confusion on what the problem was? The stock was removed, but it had chunks of bedding stuck on the action. I used a soft wire wheel on a dremel and being careful to not apply much pressure, it came off without removing the bluing on the action.......Rich

Glad you got it off.

Certain epoxies can be softened quite nicely when in contact with Methanol alcohol and sometimes gasoline.

Learned this the hard way when running methanol in two stroke Banshees with epoxied ports.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts