Bedding Compound Removal Help.

BigSky!

I bought a B&C stock for a barreled action I bought. I have the same make and model of barreled action as the previous owner. The stock had been previously bedded at the recoil lug. The seller swears his rifle was perfectly centered in the stock. My barreled action sits kitty corner in the stock (gap on left side of action and larger gap on right side of barrel with left side of barrel touching the stock). I figured before returning it I would try to remove some of the bedding compound to see if the stock is crooked or if my barreled action will fit centered in the stock. It seems to be standard advice to remove the bedding compound with a Dremel Tool with a "cutter". I have a Dremel and I have dozens and dozens of cutters of various configurations. Nobody ever identifies which is the best "cutter" to use. I did this once before and tried several different "cutters". What an arduous and excruciating task that was. Anyway, that's a long winded way to get to here. What is the best way to remove the bedding compound? If Dremel is the best way, can anybody specifically identify the best Dremel attachment to use? Thanks in advance.

With a Bridgeport mill it's easy as can be. I like using a 3" long 3/8" diameter end mill to clean out the mag box area. The rest of it a 1/2" round end mill works well. 30 minute project start to finish.

If Dremel is the best way, can anybody specifically identify the best Dremel attachment to use? Thanks in advance.

Hired Gun has the better (best) way. But if you're going to use a Dremel tool, buy some carbide burrs. I bought a pack of 10 carbide burrs off fleaBay or Amazon for maybe $15. They'll remove the bedding. The ones bought came in multitude of shapes, with head diameters of around 1/4" to 5/16". They'll even remove aluminum and steel. I've used the Dremel and these carbide burrs to accomplish all sorts of prep work on stocks I've glass bedded. It lack precision but you're filling in the voids with glass bedding compound. So you'll be the only one that knows how ugly it looked before the bedding compound covered it - making it all look nice and pretty. :)

Sky, very few of us have a Bridgeport mill. Many have removed someone's bedding job with a Dremel tool. Their carbide bits of various shapes work well, but slowly. The bits with points or squared edges are hard to control, stick with the ones with rounded tips. Bedding epoxy hides a multitude of things, I covered an inletting which looked like a crack-head did it with a 3# beater and a dull screwdriver. The Dremel got hot that day. Good luck

The best shape carbide cutter is the 'flame' shape, it easily cuts through epoxy, and, as you change the angle, it will cut differently.
I buy the best brands that are used for CNC mills/air grinders. The cheap ones just don't cut the mustard.

Cheers.
gun)

Sky, very few of us have a Bridgeport mill. Many have removed someone's bedding job with a Dremel tool. Their carbide bits of various shapes work well, but slowly. The bits with points or squared edges are hard to control, stick with the ones with rounded tips. Bedding epoxy hides a multitude of things,

I covered an inletting which looked like a crack-head did it with a 3# beater and a dull screwdriver. The Dremel got hot that day. Good luck

LOL. thats funny :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.