Beating a dead horse

Trade-offs stink! Finding a scope that is lightweight and offers everything you are looking for is tough. I moved my target weight to around 25 ounces for this very reason. I have also been a SFP guy forever. I just need to get out of my comfort zone and try FFP. Good luck in your search.

I have never had a problem with Leupold. Granted I have only been using them for around 40 years. I'm really wanting to change things up on my next purchase. Although I haven't tested one, the Leica Amplus 6 seems to be an amazing scope for the $$. It is SFP an offers illuminated reticles. Weight is reasonable at around 25 ounces. Personally I am leaning heavily toward the March F 3-24x52 for my next purchase. I don't want to spend that much coin on a scope, but it checks the boxes for me.
Same boat here for the 40+ years of using Leupold!
Rock On Reaction GIF

I've been shooting Mark 5HDs and they have been rock solid. Perfect tracking. I just dropped a vx5 HD on a rifle and expect the same. Picked up a NX8 recently as well, tracks great but the eyebox is tight. If you jump into the mid 20's I'd look at a Mark5 but I wouldn't be scared off on leupold with tracking issues.

I have never had a problem with Leupold. Granted I have only been using them for around 40 years. I'm really wanting to change things up on my next purchase. Although I haven't tested one, the Leica Amplus 6 seems to be an amazing scope for the $$. It is SFP an offers illuminated reticles. Weight is reasonable at around 25 ounces. Personally I am leaning heavily toward the March F 3-24x52 for my next purchase. I don't want to spend that much coin on a scope, but it checks the boxes for me.

Same boat here for the 40+ years of using Leupold!
Rock On Reaction GIF
I'm a little older just have not quite hit 50 years of use. First deer I ever killed was with a Winchester 218Bee using a original Alaskan. Funny that rifle still has that same old junk Leupold on it.

I'm a little older just have not quite hit 50 years of use. First deer I ever killed was with a Winchester 218Bee using a original Alaskan. Funny that rifle still has that same old junk Leupold on it.
I still have an original Alaskan but it is just laying in a box. It was on my first ever Win Pre 64 Model 70 that I acquired in 30-06. It may never be used again by me but I have never been able to let go of it.

Hello all!
I'm putting new glass on my rifle and considering all my options right now. I'm a long time shooter but the brands are so unpredictable nowadays I feel as if you don't immediately know you're getting a good product from brands like Leupold, Zeiss, Leica…anymore. Granted they all have budget models and I would expect them to perform as such. But I'm seeing a surge of people thoroughly dissatisfied with $1500 optics. That's a large chunk of money!
For reference, I've been eyeing up the VX6HD, Zeiss V4, Nightforce SHV, Vortex Razor LHT…etc. Basically the majority of big names in optics. And not a one of them embodies what I desire for an optic.
Leupold- unanimously read people saying they don't track worth a darn…and the handful that love them admit to not playing with the CDS
Zeiss- no locking turrets and the capped windage turrets are plastic and known to cross thread and strip.
Nightforce-heavy, but the 2-10 could fit the bill. Made in Japan, doesn't have a duplex/German #4 or similar reticle like I'm looking for.
Vortex- in my opinion has cruddy reticle options for this scope and also made in Japan.

My question is, Is there a scope out there for the hunter who wants accurate tracking, locking turrets, traditional reticle options, illuminated, and doesn't weigh more than the rifle itself? The Leupold fits the hills if they could get their tracking under control. I've been going over this in my head for a month now and cannot settle or find one that I'm happy with. Can anyone shed some light on an optic I'm unaware of? Thanks!
March Optics 1.5-15x42 or 2.5-25×52 I have both and have tried all of the other brands you posted and March fits the bill for me in every area.

You are going to have to decide what is most important and what you are willing to make some sacrifices on. It's obviously not feasible for scope manufacturers to offer every option that every end user might want. So make a list of your "needs" in order of importance and understand that any choice is going to come with potential sacrifice of some other needs. What is most important and what is not? Everyone can give you their opinion. No one has the exact same list of importance as you. Once you narrow your options, the choice should be somewhat easier. And that is my $.02.

I had the Vortex Razor LHT and it is a very good scope but in North Carolina in tall timber for the last 15 minutes was not good. I brought the Zeiss V6 for my 300PRC and 6.5PRC. Excellent glass especially in the tall timber at the last 15 minutes of shooting time. Color and clarity is excellent even after shooting time. All of my stands are 200+ yards from the feeders in the tall timber and I have no problem seeing all the way to the end of shooting time.

I have 4 NXSs, 3 March, Nikon, Burris, IOR Valdada, older Japanese Weavers, and 4 Vortex. This LHT is becoming a hunting optics favorite of mine: lightweight, love the simple reticle, capped windage knob, locking zero set turret. I have these on my 280A1 and 30-06. Street price is under 1K.

Screenshot_20220426-094505_Chrome.jpg

Recent Posts