Beating a dead horse

Have not tried Meopta scopes but I do own one of their spotting scopes. I was all set on either a Leica or a Swarovski but the optics manager at Cabelas took all three outside and had me look. I chose Meopta.
I too had one of the Meopta Spotters. They are awesome! Same spotter as Nightforce. They make them. However the one I had was way too big for my needs backback hunting so I bought a Swaro 65mm. Just so much smaller and lighter. Meopta has really good glass and precision adjustments as far as the use I had.

I quite like my new Meopta Optika 6 scope, very reasonably priced. High quality design and terrific detent turrets, supposedly 'the best dusk and low light' glass out there (at least they work well for my need)…light and rugged. My old reliables are the Leupold HD6s excellent glass for low light crisp and sharper than most and excellent value, turrets are excellent. Last but not least I love my SIGS Whiskey5 and Tango6 hardened Mil Spec and light - Tango glass right up there with the best. I quite love the glass on the Kahles bought their top end FFP but too busy for me sent it back. I'm an old fashioned SFP and MOA true blue ody. Just what your long term familiar with can be sorely missed trying a new scope.
I just put one on my rifle yesterday and the glass is awesome. I have a Zeiss S5 on order that will be taking its place but I was very impressed with the optica 6. I will compare them side by side when I get the other one in. I wish meopta had a better turret and reticle selection. The MIL reticle and MOA turret combos are kind of silly on their part and who really uses a BDC reticle when you have an accurate turret to dial. Aside from that I can not fault the scope in any way. Compared to an NXS, a Sightron S3, a Viper PST2 (all scopes in the same relative price range) its a clear winner

Hello all!
I'm putting new glass on my rifle and considering all my options right now. I'm a long time shooter but the brands are so unpredictable nowadays I feel as if you don't immediately know you're getting a good product from brands like Leupold, Zeiss, Leica…anymore. Granted they all have budget models and I would expect them to perform as such. But I'm seeing a surge of people thoroughly dissatisfied with $1500 optics. That's a large chunk of money!
For reference, I've been eyeing up the VX6HD, Zeiss V4, Nightforce SHV, Vortex Razor LHT…etc. Basically the majority of big names in optics. And not a one of them embodies what I desire for an optic.
Leupold- unanimously read people saying they don't track worth a darn…and the handful that love them admit to not playing with the CDS
Zeiss- no locking turrets and the capped windage turrets are plastic and known to cross thread and strip.
Nightforce-heavy, but the 2-10 could fit the bill. Made in Japan, doesn't have a duplex/German #4 or similar reticle like I'm looking for.
Vortex- in my opinion has cruddy reticle options for this scope and also made in Japan.

My question is, Is there a scope out there for the hunter who wants accurate tracking, locking turrets, traditional reticle options, illuminated, and doesn't weigh more than the rifle itself? The Leupold fits the hills if they could get their tracking under control. I've been going over this in my head for a month now and cannot settle or find one that I'm happy with. Can anyone shed some light on an optic I'm unaware of? Thanks!
Trijicon creedo 4-16

I have owned quite a few different scopes over the years, probably too many to list. I often wonder about the obsession with light weight scopes. .5-1.5# is not that much! I put five pounds of weight on over the Holidays. As my demands and methods of shooting/hunting have changed, so have the scopes that enable me to get the job done. They not only cost more, but they weigh more. Whether it be various features, glass quality, turret performance, or long term durability, There seems to be a very direct correlation to both cost "and" weight! Yes, weight! Steel vs aluminum/brass, lens supports, tube thickness, glass type, etc etc….weigh more! For this reason I've changed my weight requirements. I'm certainly not saying one can't meet their particular needs, or be successful with the lower cost/light weight scopes on the market, but my scopes(ie.NF, S&B, ZCO) that cost and and weigh more, display a "material" difference in those attributes I'm looking for to meet the very different shooting/hunting requirements that I have today. IMO.

I have owned quite a few different scopes over the years, probably too many to list. I often wonder about the obsession with light weight scopes. .5-1.5# is not that much! I put five pounds of weight on over the Holidays. As my demands and methods of shooting/hunting have changed, so have the scopes that enable me to get the job done. They not only cost more, but they weigh more. Whether it be various features, glass quality, turret performance, or long term durability, There seems to be a very direct correlation to both cost "and" weight! Yes, weight! Steel vs aluminum/brass, lens supports, tube thickness, glass type, etc etc….weigh more! For this reason I've changed my weight requirements. I'm certainly not saying one can't meet their particular needs, or be successful with the lower cost/light weight scopes on the market, but my scopes(ie.NF, S&B, ZCO) that cost and and weigh more, display a "material" difference in those attributes I'm looking for to meet the very different shooting/hunting requirements that I have today. IMO.
Agreed…I like both the scope and the rifle to have a bit of heft! Not the least because I just naturally don't have the steadiest hands. Weight is my friend, dampens my jitters (ironically they get LESS shaky after drinking coffee…i have adult ADHD and apparently that's a quirk of our atypical nervous system, stimulants settle us down). My hunting rig altogether is 13 pounds, no problem dragging a deer through the snow with that slung on my back…I agree, I don't notice the scope or gun what with the deers weight and my own (5'11", 235lb - could stand to lose 20 pounds but am naturally just quite solid/broad, been told I'm no fun to collide with haha because just looking at me I don't look like I should way nearly that much, and in water I just sink to the bottom, must have decent bone density too).

Of course I'm 30, maybe in decades ahead I'll start to notice and care more.

Of course

Greyfox - you make a good point, however, there is point where weight becomes a handicap. I wouldn't notice a 30+ oz scope on a 10-12 lb rifle. I would notice it on a 6-7 lb rifle.
I guess I'm just wanting light weight and great glass and function. By light weight I mean 25 oz and below. Mark 5, March F, and Swarovski seem to be able to to meet this.

I looked at the Amplus 6 a little also. It does not a have a zero stop, in case you weren't aware of that. That an immediate ono for me.

I had 4 leupold VX5 & VX6 HD's and 3 Mark 5's. I never had an issue. But I do have a very close buddy that has had 2 VX5HD's and a Mark 5 fail on him. Also had 2 zeiss V4's. They were solid for me as well. Nx8 was also a good scope.
I own many Leupolds but not the one's the OP is looking at.
Several friends have VX5 and VX6 and never had a tracking problem but like Huntnful said,I have heard of a few with slow tracking and one that stopped at a certain adjustment but Leupold has a record repair/replace warranty with no questions asked.
I was super impressed with the latest Burris XTR scope and they too are American made and great warranty too.

THOUGHTS ON RIDING A DEAD HORSE*
Tribal wisdom derived from the Dakota Indians held that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, long-term planning suggests it is time to dismount. However, decades of study and contemplation regarding the situation has produced a much more modem, pluralistic and cost-based responsive set of guidelines for dealing with the "dead horse syndrome", including the following carefully developed strategies:

Buy a stronger whip. Change riders.

Threaten the horse with termination. Appoint a committee to study the horse...

Arrange to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses. Lower the standards so that dead horses can be included. Re-classify the dead horse as "living impaired."

Hire outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
Harness several dead horses together to increase their collective speed.
Provide additional funding and/or training to increase the dead horses performance.
Conduct a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse's performance.
Declare that the dead horse carries lower overhead and therefore contributes more to the bottom line than some other horses. Rewrite the expected performance requirements for all horses, including dead horses.

PROMOTE THE DEAD HORSE TO A MANAGEMENT POSITION WITH A DESK, COMPUTER, PRIVATE OFFICE AND ~ AN EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT!