Beating a dead horse

No idea. I'm stuck with the budget for those cruddy vortex scopes. Fully acknowledge what they are…very good value but the light transmission SUCKS at dusk (which is when most hunting shots happen)

As to your title, I've heard it said that the only thing worse than beating a dead horse is betting on one….
I agree that they suck at dusk.

I didn't see anything about the caliber you plan shooting but if any of the large magnums that have heavy recoil, I would recommend Nightforce hands-down. Yes, they weigh a few ounces more than others and are expensive but there is a reason for that. They won't fall apart after a hundred rounds or more and their glass is excellent. Most all the major scope manufacturers have a good warranty but who likes to ship their scope off and wait 6+ weeks for it to be repaired? I just don't have the time or patience.

As another forum member stated……you probably need to prioritize what is most important to you in features since it is highly unlikely everything will be found in one scope. Best wishes on your search.

I have NF (ATACR, NXS, and SHV), a March 2-25X, a Horus xmas tree reticle (mils), Leupold, Swarovski, and Bushnells. NF ATACR and NXS are my favorites; the SHV is noticeably dimmer in low light, as is the March. The problem with older Leupolds is the crappy set screws in the target turrets - they come loose when you least expect it. For rifles that I am not going to dial up, Bushnell Elites work great - I even put one (2x7) on a .416 Rem - just before I left for an African hunt my 1.5-5X suddenly became unreliable. Shot a Cape buffalo at 308 yards with it after spending all day trying to get closer on a flood plain in Kigosi. My partner brought a .375 and a double barrel and used my .416 to shoot one at 350 yards, even holding about six inches for the wind (I told him exactly where to hold having shot that rifle out to 350 yards).

NF are great, but they are heavy. My March is one of the first brought into the US, so maybe newer ones are brighter. I did bend the bell on mine and it cost $700 to replace the tube (had to send it to Japan).

My Leupold VX-3LR/T and MK4 LR/T scopes track on the money, the 3LR was toast when I traded into it super cheap but I sent it in and had it fixed. I have two of the MK4 LR and zero issues. Great light gathering too. Even better light gathering is my Tract but it is something like 36 ounces.

I didn't spend as much as your options.pdf lists, but I'm pleased with a Riton, Locking, laminated, FFP and so far the tracking has been good. Their 7 Conquer 3-18x might be worth a look.

I quite like my new Meopta Optika 6 scope, very reasonably priced. High quality design and terrific detent turrets, supposedly 'the best dusk and low light' glass out there (at least they work well for my need)…light and rugged. My old reliables are the Leupold HD6s excellent glass for low light crisp and sharper than most and excellent value, turrets are excellent. Last but not least I love my SIGS Whiskey5 and Tango6 hardened Mil Spec and light - Tango glass right up there with the best. I quite love the glass on the Kahles bought their top end FFP but too busy for me sent it back. I'm an old fashioned SFP and MOA true blue ody. Just what your long term familiar with can be sorely missed trying a new scope.

I quite like my new Meopta Optika 6 scope, very reasonably priced. High quality design and terrific detent turrets, supposedly 'the best dusk and low light' glass out there (at least they work well for my need)…light and rugged. My old reliables are the Leupold HD6s excellent glass for low light crisp and sharper than most and excellent value, turrets are excellent. Last but not least I love my SIGS Whiskey5 and Tango6 hardened Mil Spec and light - Tango glass right up there with the best. I quite love the glass on the Kahles bought their top end FFP but too busy for me sent it back. I'm an old fashioned SFP and MOA true blue ody. Just what your long term familiar with can be sorely missed trying a new scope.
Have not tried Meopta scopes but I do own one of their spotting scopes. I was all set on either a Leica or a Swarovski but the optics manager at Cabelas took all three outside and had me look. I chose Meopta.

Hello all!
I'm putting new glass on my rifle and considering all my options right now. I'm a long time shooter but the brands are so unpredictable nowadays I feel as if you don't immediately know you're getting a good product from brands like Leupold, Zeiss, Leica…anymore. Granted they all have budget models and I would expect them to perform as such. But I'm seeing a surge of people thoroughly dissatisfied with $1500 optics. That's a large chunk of money!
For reference, I've been eyeing up the VX6HD, Zeiss V4, Nightforce SHV, Vortex Razor LHT…etc. Basically the majority of big names in optics. And not a one of them embodies what I desire for an optic.
Leupold- unanimously read people saying they don't track worth a darn…and the handful that love them admit to not playing with the CDS
Zeiss- no locking turrets and the capped windage turrets are plastic and known to cross thread and strip.
Nightforce-heavy, but the 2-10 could fit the bill. Made in Japan, doesn't have a duplex/German #4 or similar reticle like I'm looking for.
Vortex- in my opinion has cruddy reticle options for this scope and also made in Japan.

My question is, Is there a scope out there for the hunter who wants accurate tracking, locking turrets, traditional reticle options, illuminated, and doesn't weigh more than the rifle itself? The Leupold fits the hills if they could get their tracking under control. I've been going over this in my head for a month now and cannot settle or find one that I'm happy with. Can anyone shed some light on an optic I'm unaware of? Thanks!
I been trying a Maven, been preforming well so far.Good clear Optics and is tracking well