Bear spray vs Bullets

I was bluff-charged by a sow black bear with two cubs. The wind was upslope from my side at 20mph with higher gusts. As I drew my sidearm I was thinking how glad I was that this wasn't bear spray. I was about to pull the trigger when she stopped at a distance I later measured at 5 yards. I was able to slowly back away while keeping the gun leveled on her and she finally led her cubs up the mountain, stopping every once in awhile to snap her jaws in my direction to tell me to keep moving. Not that that was necessary!

I'd prefer to test fire a can of bear spray before I depend on it in the field. But I wonder if the test discharge is more apt to plug up the discharge nozzle - like what happens with spray paints. I just read the FAQs on the Counter Assault web site and they don't say anything about shelf life should one decide to test fire their product.

12. What is the shelf life of bear pepper spray?

Counter Assault products have a four-year recommended replacement date because ALL aerosols lose propellant over time. This four-year replacement date means that it will shoot to maximum distance the first four years, and will still spray a considerable distance after that date. For example, Counter Assault Bear Deterrent, when new, sprays 30 to 32 feet whereas many other bear deterrents only spray from 15 feet to 20 feet when freshly manufactured. Though the potency of the pepper does not diminish, all aerosol canister seals will weaken over time, allowing the propellant to escape.

13. Will Counter Assault work in freezing temperatures?

"Yes, although it will not spray as far at freezing temperatures, because a decrease in temperature causes a decrease in pressure, American and Canadian park rangers carry their Counter Assault under their jackets to keep it warm for emergency use. It has been used effectively in Cape Churchill, Manitoba against polar bears using this method and also in the Arctic at extremely low temperatures of 12°F/-12°C to -6°F/-22°C.

Air taxi pilots flying you out into the bush in small planes have the valid concern that if bear spray discharges inside the plane, they will be rendered incapable of flying the plane, or landing the plane safely. I don't specifically know the law for flights on small commuter air taxi planes. I know the bush pilots can refuse to fly anyone or anything they consider unsafe. Their choice. They may, or may not, allow you to fly with bear pepper spray. If the spray discharges in flight, you're in for bad times.

11. Can I carry Counter Assault onto an airplane?

FAA regulations do not allow transportation of more than 4 ounces of pepper spray packed in your luggage. You may call us for local dealers in the area you are going or we can drop-ship to your destination.

The universally recommended slug ammunition for bear protection in Alaska for those carrying shotguns for bear protection is the Brenneke ammo. Brenneke slugs are hard cast lead slugs. No expansion, but they'll cut a 3/4" diameter hole in the bear. Ever since an oilfield worker was killed during winter seismograph work locally on the Kenai Peninsula, oil companies and their contractors have been required to provide the protection of an armed bear guard with every field team. A large brown bear rushed out of its den in the middle of winter, as the worker walked past. Quickly bit and crushed the man's skull, and then promptly escaped into the forest. Gone. Was never found by State officials. Poor tracking snow conditions. It was reported to be a big boar. It takes a big bear with a wide jaw spread to be able to open wide enough to grasp and crush a human skull. Most efforts by smaller bears result in a scalping.

Armed means firearm, not bear spray. They predominantly carry shotguns loaded with Brenneke slugs. These bear guards are commonly licensed big game hunting guides that pick up some extra employment in their off-season. Never, ever, heard of a bear guard solely carrying bear spray to fulfill his job duties as bear guard. It's a firearm or unemployment.

I would never use expanding slugs for large bear protection, given the choice of a Brenneke. Brenneke slugs are deadly on bear, small or big. Products Most any slug would do the job on a "Winnie the Pooh" bear. You want penetration from a 12 gauge slug on the big boys.

BTW, one of these bear guards was mauled down by Homer, AK, a few years back. Even bear protection guards and big game guides aren't bear proof, when the bear gets the surprise advantage. I don't have the fine details of that event. Bear guard wasn't killed, and it wasn't even a terrible mauling. A "common" mauling, so to speak...

Last edited:
Don't know about pepper spray, but with fire extinguishers test firing is not good. The valve in the handle must be absolutely clean to hold its seal. I suspect the valve internals on the big "Bear Size" pepper sprays are similar enough to leak propellent and leave you with a dead can. Maybe hunting big bears is like sniping and best done in 2 man teams? Cumbersome at times, but honestly I'd rather go out quick from a slug in the torso, than end up being one of the chew toys you see in the "I Survived" videos. Guess that makes me strange.

In the NWT we had a sow grizzly with cubs, unhappy with our camp location. In that setting, handguns are illegal. Every thing is fly in, so weight decisions have to be made. A handgun or spray is weight that could be used better.

Walked into a black bear bait in an area that wasn't supposed to have grizzlies. I had a Model 29, and all the sign we had seen so far was from a dink black bear. I was thinking I'd slip in and handgun one for a change. Tracks and scat indicated a big grizzly had just left. Tight cover, and I've always believed that bear was still close. Close enough I started talking and making noise.

I had a minor rodeo with a horse catching a nose full of bear. A good horse can be more dangerous than a bad bear.

The ones that step off the trail into the brush you can no longer see them in raise the heart rate a bit more than the ones you can still see. A lot of trials are such it's single lane traffic, and surviving a bad bear is likely academic at best.

I've trailed wounded bear into the bush, and I'm always more conscious about whose on my six with a loaded rifle. I've made a fellow unload his rifle and leave it behind. Given a choice between surviving a mauling, and surviving a hit from a magnum rifle, I'll take my chances with the bear.

Recently read of tracking devices (Montana ? ) placed on hunters, with collared bears in the area, and observing the bear following them. The intent was to see if bear really are coming to gunshots, turned out this bear was in the game, and unobserved on the ground, absent any shooting. Interesting but inconclusive with just one event to go by. Predator tracks inside your tracks may soon be confirmed scientifically. In any case looking back is a good habit to cultivate.
They have had collared bears for years in MT that move to Opening day Hot spots.They have know this for 20 years as related to me many years ago.Ive personally been looking for elk I shot at range,which in MT can be very hard access and had grizz beat me to my game, I saw same bear on another kill earlier in week..Was a distinctive dark legged bear or I would have thought different bear.

Phorwath,Yes you have big time big bears up there.The big blacks are the size of our common grizz say 7' type.Whole different beast than down here.My son shot heis first bull across this river on a natural lick. I had only been there one time ,but had a small window of time before our next day hunt.I saw a herd come out and waited to legal spot to shoot,my son shot 5x7 bull with his 243 twice in lung at 350.Bull was down at water line.This happen be border of Glacier Park so I want no conflict of person saying we where in park and dont know recover rules, so I call F&G.They direct me to park,this all takes time,finally about 11 dark thirty a park ranger shows up for recovery.We have to wade river and go about mile to elk kill,my boy only 12 and not to big.I have to pack him on my back to cross river waist deep.I get to river and tell my boy to sling my pistol 44 over shoulder and ranger says you cant take that in park. I say Im not going on a night elk recovery with out it, he says rules and a have this "12 gauge" with slugs, Im like ok:DWe hiked far enough that at one point he thought we didnt get elk,I said I saw both shots and how it piled up on top it rack kept it from being swept into river.stone dead.There it was just as I said,quite the pack for me next day with whole elk and to small raft:)

They have had collared bears for years in MT that move to Opening day Hot spots.They have know this for 20 years as related to me many years ago.

What they know, and what they speak, can unfortunately be very different. You can't be trailed by a grizzly in an area that "doesn't have any". :D

I guess it's a toss up, about the time they admit grizzlies are present, trails get closed, and seasons get shortened.lightbulb

I am by nature a conservationist and don't believe in killing anything I wont/cant eat or for the fun of it. Even if a poll is taken, it wont change my mind. There are lots of other game that can and will kill a human unless he is aware of his surroundings and prepared for the worst case.

I don't care if all the game wardens carry a can of spray, or a shotgun.

I also don't care if I have to explain why I had to shoot a bear, (My Call, not theirs).

If a bear goes after me, bluff or not, he will pay with his life because I cant talk bear so I don't know what his intensions are.

Guys with lots of experiences with bears may be able to read them, I Cant. the few encounters I have had were with blacks in Colorado Bow hunting and after the first couple I started carrying a very large hand gun.

So as far as I am concerned I will carry all the fire power I can because I don't plan on being bear scat.

I like the quote "Don't Tread On Me"

J E CUSTOM

I am by nature a conservationist and don't believe in killing anything I wont/cant eat or for the fun of it. Even if a poll is taken, it wont change my mind. There are lots of other game that can and will kill a human unless he is aware of his surroundings and prepared for the worst case.

I don't care if all the game wardens carry a can of spray, or a shotgun.

I also don't care if I have to explain why I had to shoot a bear, (My Call, not theirs).

If a bear goes after me, bluff or not, he will pay with his life because I cant talk bear so I don't know what his intensions are.

Guys with lots of experiences with bears may be able to read them, I Cant. the few encounters I have had were with blacks in Colorado Bow hunting and after the first couple I started carrying a very large hand gun.

So as far as I am concerned I will carry all the fire power I can because I don't plan on being bear scat.

I like the quote "Don't Tread On Me"

J E CUSTOM
Pretty much where I am. I simply cannot see myself betting my life on a spray can.