Bear spray vs Bullets

For those who opt to carry a sidearm, I would recommend a double action revolver as they are slightly more reliable than an auto. Also, with an auto, you are going to have jack the slide or carry with one in the chamber which IMO is a little sketchy. With a double action you can leave one chamber empty and when you pull the trigger or cock the hammer it will load a loaded chamber for fire. You might say that only leaves you 5 shots (6 in some revolvers) In an attack situation, your chances of getting off more than 2 or 3 shots is very slim. I would choose about a 4-6" barrel. I would use hardcast wad cutters or semi wad cutters over a max load of powder.

Good luck :)
Carrying one "in the pipe" in a quality modern Semi Auto isn't risky at all especially if you have it in a holster that completely covers the trigger and trigger guard. Liability lawyers pretty well eliminated that problem many moons ago. If I had to worry about such things I wouldn't even own any Semi Autos.

You are absolutely correct though in that revolvers are extremely reliable BUT, only if you keep the weapon free of mud and debris. All it takes is a couple of pine needles or a little mud to jam the cylinder preventing you from being able to cock and fire it.

If you ever find yourself in a grapple with a bad guy who has a revolver all you have to do is grasp the weapon tightly around the frame and cylinder to render it useless if it's not already cocked or place the web of your hand between the hammer and frame if it is.

In either condition it cannot be fired. It may hurt like hell if he tries to fire it but that's a small price to pay compared to being shot.

If you ever find yourself in a grapple with a bad guy who has a revolver all you have to do is grasp the weapon tightly around the frame and cylinder to render it useless if it's not already cocked or place the web of your hand between the hammer and frame if it is.

Thank God bears don't have hands, in addition to their claws and teeth.

Thank God bears don't have hands, in addition to their claws and teeth.
Unfortunately they aren't the only bad thing in the woods. Those of us in the lower 48 are more likely to have a "people problem" than a "bear problem".

I figure shoot first and feed them to the bears! :D

I've been teaching personal defense and defensive handgun use for 30 years so my mind always drifts over into that mode.

Unfortunately they aren't the only bad thing in the woods. Those of us in the lower 48 are more likely to have a "people problem" than a "bear problem".

I figure shoot first and feed them to the bears! :D

I've been teaching personal defense and defensive handgun use for 30 years so my mind always drifts over into that mode.

I can change your odds! Wanna go hunting?
How many people here, have had a crap your pants, jaw snapping, no doubt bear bluff?
Not one of these " oh my god a bear walked by and I was scared!" Which is in my opinion, scarier initially because it happens slower and you are dealing with it and your wheels are over reving as the action happens.

Great educational conversation for late season wolf hunting and up coming horn hunting season.

I can change your odds! Wanna go hunting?
How many people here, have had a crap your pants, jaw snapping, no doubt bear bluff?
Not one of these " oh my god a bear walked by and I was scared!" Which is in my opinion, scarier initially because it happens slower and you are dealing with it and your wheels are over reving as the action happens.

Great educational conversation for late season wolf hunting and up coming horn hunting season.
Careful, I have a tendency to take people up on such invitations :D

I had a few very close bear encounters many moons ago in NM and CO but the only close encounter with a Grizzly was at a couple of zoos.

We even had a large black bear crawl into a tent with us near Cloud Croft NM back around 77. That was about as exciting a close encounter as I'd ever want to have with one.

Have had so many bear encounters overall I can't remember how many. Several of those were surprise close encounters for both parties--a couple at night, one of those times with me solo. Most run off scared, but their heart and mine is maxed on on adrenaline for a bit, I'm sure. :D No charging, but have had a couple other encounters where the bear needed to move and just wasn't too inclined to. Have woken up in the morning more than once to have large wolf tracks around the tent where it, or they, circled several times or a huge pile of steaming wolf poo next to the tent. Had no idea they were there. Spend enough time out in truly wild places and it's only a matter of time.

I bump into black bears at very close range every year, typically during archery season. One bear walked within less than 10 feet from me before the sun came up in pitch darkness, so I just told it to move along and it changed course.

Bears have sniffed my tent with me in it. They'be been at my camp/tent sniffing around when I've come back at the end of the day.

I stalked up to two different bears this past year, on accident, within about 15 yards. First one was already moving slowly and just kept moving slowly. The second one, we both just kind of stood there for the first couple of seconds looking at each other. Then it calmly went on it's own way.

Others have crashed away once they've seen me, but I've never, ever felt like any bear was being aggressive.

I've even stalked right up to a mamma and her cubs (again, on accident), and one of the cubs was doing that cute little awkward jiggly walk right towards me like it wanted me to scratch it's ears. Mamma bear never showed the slightest bit of aggression (I didn't scratch it's ears).

I can honestly say that with any single one of those encounters, had the bear acted with any kind of aggression I would have given it a headache full of lead without hesitation. But they never have ... I'm guessing that's just more the nature of black bears.

But ... if I had one of those aggresive bear encounters within 10-20 yards and filled it with lead without hesitation, would that get me into trouble with the department of wildlife? How would you ever prove that the bear was being aggressive or that shooting it was justified?

But ... if I had one of those aggresive bear encounters within 10-20 yards and filled it with lead without hesitation, would that get me into trouble with the department of wildlife? How would you ever prove that the bear was being aggressive or that shooting it was justified?

I think I would apply the 3 S's. Shoot Shovel and shut up.

I've had several bear encounters. I've never had to shoot one or spray one in defense. The most scared I've bee is when a bear was walking around in my camp and rudder against my tent while the moon light was shinning on him. I didn't get too scared until I couldn't see it any more. Had a black bear get into a cooler in the back of my pickup while I was sleeping in the back of my pickup, in 1984. Seen grizzlys up close. Had them pop their teeth and complain but none have charged towards me. I generally talk to them, don't ask me why I don't know, I do the same with the deer in my yard.

I've actually been more frightened by a lion encounter than anything else, when a lion thought he was stalking an elk and didn't want to back off when he figured out it was me.

Timber 338,This is how it plays out around here.Guys have said self defense and bear shot broadside.When guy shots them in head and frontal at close range then it is justafiable.I spend lot time out here had many encounters.Ive stalked blackys and had them woof and pop teeth many times as they are concerned there is a grizz in area. I had one standing on snow slide bouncing up and down swatting snow.Ive spooked and treed many black bears,try it on purpose in archery.Ive seen 13 grizz in one day, been bluff charged a few times and also surprise sow grizz close 30 yrd and had her stand up while 2 cubs run off,had black bear sow act more agressive.There are far more black bear maulings because of numbers of bears. I shot a 7 ' black bear and would not want any part off it.Ive had close friends throw thier bow like a hatchet at charging grizz. I pack a 44 four inch tie down on a low ride ring with 300 gr.some friends that hunt also have spray.We have called in many bearand cats while archery,I also call for bears.I solo hunt hike in at 4 am had big grizz, by sign in trail move off and let me go by, kinda gets you jumpy,had them warn me many times with woof,cats no they just appear.I just hope my luck holds,when I see or smell them I am at full alert.Run right into them on horse back also,there just tried remain in saddle

Attachments

• pistols.jpg
    pistols.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 85
So... What I'm seeing, based on knowledgeable sources here, is this: 1) As with any defensive situation, the #1 thing is situational awareness, to avoid the situation to begin with, 2) If you find yourself with no way out, Bear Spray is better than a stick. 3) Better yet is the largest caliber revolver you can manage, properly loaded for bear. No less than .44 Rem. mag. That way, at the very least, they will know which bear ate you. 4) best option: a 12ga. with full house slug or 000 buck loads. That's a lot of extra carry, but the best insurance is expensive. 5) And if at all possible, shovel up and shut up. While individual wildlife personnel are some of the finest people and law enforcers you will ever find, collectively they are under the influence of a bureaucracy. JMHO

I a recent trip to Alaska for a fishing trip TSA without comment or request removed bear spray from my packed luggage. Bear spray may work but only if you have it.

Roy

I will quote an Alaska State Trooper Wildlife officer after I told him I was going to be carrying a 44mag.

"Be sure to file off the front site of that thing"

Why?

"So it won't hurt as much when that bear decides to shove it up your ***"

Good luck actually hitting a charging bear.

In the NWT we had a sow grizzly with cubs, unhappy with our camp location. In that setting, handguns are illegal. Every thing is fly in, so weight decisions have to be made. A handgun or spray is weight that could be used better.

Walked into a black bear bait in an area that wasn't supposed to have grizzlies. I had a Model 29, and all the sign we had seen so far was from a dink black bear. I was thinking I'd slip in and handgun one for a change. Tracks and scat indicated a big grizzly had just left. Tight cover, and I've always believed that bear was still close. Close enough I started talking and making noise.

I had a minor rodeo with a horse catching a nose full of bear. A good horse can be more dangerous than a bad bear.

The ones that step off the trail into the brush you can no longer see them in raise the heart rate a bit more than the ones you can still see. A lot of trials are such it's single lane traffic, and surviving a bad bear is likely academic at best.

I've trailed wounded bear into the bush, and I'm always more conscious about whose on my six with a loaded rifle. I've made a fellow unload his rifle and leave it behind. Given a choice between surviving a mauling, and surviving a hit from a magnum rifle, I'll take my chances with the bear.

Recently read of tracking devices (Montana ? ) placed on hunters, with collared bears in the area, and observing the bear following them. The intent was to see if bear really are coming to gunshots, turned out this bear was in the game, and unobserved on the ground, absent any shooting. Interesting but inconclusive with just one event to go by. Predator tracks inside your tracks may soon be confirmed scientifically. In any case looking back is a good habit to cultivate.