Bear Rifle Optic Suggestions

As a guy that hunts and lives in Alaska, and kills a ton of bears yearly…I would say that you need something with the best glass you can find, that transmits a maximum percentage of light. I've used the Nightforce, and though they are rugged, the eyebox on every one has been a nightmare, especially when trying to get a shot off in an awkward position. I can recall probably 3 different black bears that I found at last light that I couldn't get a shot on them because I couldn't make out the bear in a shadow using the Nightforce for that one year. Ever since then I have been using Schmidt and Bender scopes exclusively and haven't had that same problem since. I have a couple of Klassik 2.5-10x56mm that I really like in low light, and a few Polar's as well, but that is probably out of your price range. The Klassik is well under your range and in my opinion is a steal at the price you get them at. Another option is the Swaro Z6 2.5-15x56mm…another good piece of glass that allows you make a shot at last light. Both the Klassik and Z6 are within the price range you stated. Good luck!

Jeremy

I appreciate everyone's advice and perspectives. I guess my dilemma is I will be using the rifle for other game species and scenarios other than just the baited black bears, so I'd like something with a broad range of high/low magnification. Almost seems I should have a designated dangerous game rifle and another for long range.
I don't know if that's silly or not. But was hoping for a do-all with this .300
I have 5 300WM rifles ranging from a Kimber 8400 Select, Remington Sendero II switch barrel, Remington LR, another Kimber 8400 and a Win Model 70 EW. The Kimber Select wears the Leupold Vari XIII, which is my most used stalking rifle, the other Kimber has a Bushnell Elite 5-15x40 on it and all the other have 4.5-27x50 scopes in FFP or SFP, I really have no preference except in F-class where I prefer the FFP scope and MIL dots for windage.

Cheers.

I ran a swaro z6 2-12 for a couple years and thought it was pretty stellar for an all around option. However, I'm in the middle of making a "****ed off bear" rifle in 375/08, and that's getting my vx3 1.75-6. Lighter, quicker to move, fast target acquisition, generous eye box.

A couple years ago my brother called me on a Sunday and said he had wounded a bear that dove into a thicket in a ravine, and he wanted backup going in after it. I drug along my .300 win with a 3-15, and very quickly realized that was not the rifle for packing into a ****ed off bear situation. I quickly became a fan of lower power, faster optics in the tight woods we have here.

I'm def accustomed to a SFP, I've only had 1 FFP and didn't have much seat time behind it before selling entire rig…Hunting will likely be over bait from a blind or stand. I'm planning a trip with a to be determined outfitter in NC hopefully for next year. I'd imagine there will be a mix of deep woods and possible longer range shooting, so the mag range on the 2.5-20 NX8 is appealing.
Oh…You need a good LPVO. Nightforce, Vortex Razor come to mind for me.

I'm looking for recommendations on scopes for bear hunting.
Rifle is a Remington 700 .300 Win Mag.
Would like an Illuminated reticle, good eye box and eye relief. Reliable dialing.
I have a VX5HD 3-15 Firedot on my 280AI that I like a lot, but would like something higher end. Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles are brands I'm interested in but open to others.
I'm not sure what Magnification range, or objective diameter to go with. Low light performance is a concern for deep woods. As well as low end magnification for closer shooting. I don't plan to be shooting more than 500yds ever.
What are you guys using?

Trijjicon 3-9 Credo with Lit reticle and mil dots is one way to look. I have one and so far am a fan of it.

I also have a 3.5-10 NF their SHV version and like it as well. This with a Lit reticle would be the cats on a bruin. One would be amazed at how many reticles blend into the dark side of a bruin especiallty at low light.

Now shooting at bears @ 500 yds is another conversation.......

I'm def accustomed to a SFP, I've only had 1 FFP and didn't have much seat time behind it before selling entire rig…Hunting will likely be over bait from a blind or stand. I'm planning a trip with a to be determined outfitter in NC hopefully for next year. I'd imagine there will be a mix of deep woods and possible longer range shooting, so the mag range on the 2.5-20 NX8 is appealing.
Good point about having a low power option when hunting over bait, the two guns I use on bears over bait both sport 1.5-6x42 scopes and I don't know if I have ever taken them off of 1.5 except when sighting in. Remember to turn the power down to its minimum after sighting in. Too many folks try to find the right spot of black to shoot on the entirely black animal, because they cranked their scope up to max magnification when sighting in and not turning the power down to a minimum.

Even the gun I use for stalk and hunt is a 2-10 power and it stays on 2 until I need to shoot in the open. It is nice to have the fast pointing 2 power on the gun should I ever have to go after a wounded bear in the brush.

Recent Posts