Bear Rifle Optic Suggestions

I love my NF's (SHV and NX8) but would also suggest you look at Trijicon. I've got a Tenmile HX 3-18x44 in FFP and it's been rock solid. FFP can be a little hard to get used to if you're on the lower power, as the reticle becomes really small, but with the illumination I haven't had any issues. The center is the center no matter how big or small the reticle is. It's got exposed turrets, super reliable dialing, it's about as light as a reliable scope can be and seems to be tough as nails. I believe they make a version in SFP as well, but not too sure. I've never felt like 3x on the low end was too tight in this scope or any other, but if you got in a weird situation with dangerous game I get the point of the even lower power. I also don't really see black bears in the same light as a griz or African dangerous game.

All of this kind of depends on what kind of hunting you'll be doing....baits, hounds, from a stand, spot and stalk? About 99% of my hunting is spot and stalk, and just a little still hunting in between spotting so I've got a setup I can use for bear, deer, hogs and elk. I don't really have a dedicated rifle or scope for bear.
I'm def accustomed to a SFP, I've only had 1 FFP and didn't have much seat time behind it before selling entire rig…Hunting will likely be over bait from a blind or stand. I'm planning a trip with a to be determined outfitter in NC hopefully for next year. I'd imagine there will be a mix of deep woods and possible longer range shooting, so the mag range on the 2.5-20 NX8 is appealing.

Baited from a stand, 1.5x5 with illuminated Duplex reticle. Field of view close up and good light gathering counts for more than anything else, particularly if you are trying to get a second shot into a departing bear, Even a good Red Dot will work fine at 30 yards, we use those on driven boar a lot, range runs 20 yards to about 130 and the game is running.

I'm looking for recommendations on scopes for bear hunting.
Rifle is a Remington 700 .300 Win Mag.
Would like an Illuminated reticle, good eye box and eye relief. Reliable dialing.
I have a VX5HD 3-15 Firedot on my 280AI that I like a lot, but would like something higher end. Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles are brands I'm interested in but open to others.
I'm not sure what Magnification range, or objective diameter to go with. Low light performance is a concern for deep woods. As well as low end magnification for closer shooting. I don't plan to be shooting more than 500yds ever.
What are you guys using?
In my book, Swarovski Z8i 1-8 is the best scope out there. True one power for close-up, critical situations, 8 power at the top brings 500 yds in to about 60, plenty of magnification. High quality 93% Swarovski glass give max light transmission. With the illuminated circle-dot reticule, a very fast target aquisition is possible. At low power, the exit pupil is far larger than your pupil for any magnification, meaning there's more light available in the scope than your eye can take advantage of, for any objective lens diameter. At 8 power that Z8i will have an exit pupil of about 3mm, so a larger objective lens might be an advantage there. The larger objective lenses have a light-gathering advantage only at higher magnifications, which usually means longer distances. The exit pupil diameter (mm) is obtained by dividing the objective lens diameter (mm) by the magnification; your pupil will dilate to 7mm if you're young, 4 or 5 if past 40. If you plan to shoot with the scope at or above 8 power, a 44mm objective lens will give you all the light you can use. You don't need to worry about light-gathering on the low power end. Consult your guide. I do think that Swar Z8i 1-8 is the best for hunting that you can get, unless you are an extreme long range gunner or hunt in the dark.

If you are hunting over bait, you don't need anything higher than 7X. A scope with a 20X top end would be a liability IMO because you might have it set at 20X and forget to dial it down. I have shot five black bears over bait; none of my shots were over 50 yards.

swaro z8 1.7-13.3, can get the same dangerous game circle dot reticule option as the 1-8 and a bit more high end mag
Agree. But there is a real difference between 1.7 and 1.0 closeup. If not dangerous game, then the 1.7-13.3 is about perfect. I have both. Top notch scopes. I may be peculiar in not wanting anything over 8X.

I appreciate everyone's advice and perspectives. I guess my dilemma is I will be using the rifle for other game species and scenarios other than just the baited black bears, so I'd like something with a broad range of high/low magnification. Almost seems I should have a designated dangerous game rifle and another for long range.
I don't know if that's silly or not. But was hoping for a do-all with this .300

It's the quest for the perfect mpvo that plagues us all, wide fov and fast at close range but enough mag and a suitable reticle for shooting across a canyon..... with the sacrifice of eye box the 8x and 10x erector scopes are getting close.

I appreciate everyone's advice and perspectives. I guess my dilemma is I will be using the rifle for other game species and scenarios other than just the baited black bears, so I'd like something with a broad range of high/low magnification. Almost seems I should have a designated dangerous game rifle and another for long range.
I don't know if that's silly or not. But was hoping for a do-all with this .300
I run different scopes and optics on the same gun. Rifle is setup to use a Doctor Reflex site for driven game, a 1.5x5 illuminated for intermediate, a 3.5x14x75 Leica for night hunting, and an Infrared for where they are allowed. All are mounted in QD rings to fit the one base. This is where the European claw mounts, or Blaser style QD mounts excel as they return to bang on zero ever time.

Most European hunting rifles are setup this way due to the limitation on total number of guns you can own.

I run different scopes and optics on the same gun. Rifle is setup to use a Doctor Reflex site for driven game, a 1.5x5 illuminated for intermediate, a 3.5x14x75 Leica for night hunting, and an Infrared for where they are allowed. All are mounted in QD rings to fit the one base. This is where the European claw mounts, or Blaser style QD mounts excel as they return to bang on zero ever time.

Most European hunting rifles are setup this way due to the limitation on total number of guns you can own.
This approach is sensible, can be approximated here by using good quality QD rings. I'd have no trouble having just 8X. Some one wanting more magnification would be well served by the 1.7-13.3. I do think the Swaro illuminated circle-dot reticule is a wonder, offering a bright orange dot, a bright orange dot plus bright orange circle, or no dot no circle for finer work at longer range. I's sacrifice some of my druthers to have that reticule.

This approach is sensible, can be approximated here by using good quality QD rings. I'd have no trouble having just 8X. Some one wanting more magnification would be well served by the 1.7-13.3. I do think the Swaro illuminated circle-dot reticule is a wonder, offering a bright orange dot, a bright orange dot plus bright orange circle, or no dot no circle for finer work at longer range. I's sacrifice some of my druthers to have that reticule.

Not cheap, but if you want true return to Zero without the expense of fitting claw mounts, these would be the picks. Then it comes down to which appearance you prefer.

If you want a much less expensive option, check out Warne QD gear. Great performance, not that expensive.

The VX-5 3-15 will easily cover out to 500 yds. As other stated an illuminated CENTER of the reticle is very nice against a black bear as the light fades away.

This is prob slightly out of my budget range…I guess I didn't mention a price range….id like to be around $1500-2000+…I'm sure the Swarovski is awesome but about twice where I'd like to be.

Attachments

• IMG_4858.png
    IMG_4858.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 25