Bear Rifle Optic Suggestions

Greengt88

I'm looking for recommendations on scopes for bear hunting.
Rifle is a Remington 700 .300 Win Mag.
Would like an Illuminated reticle, good eye box and eye relief. Reliable dialing.
I have a VX5HD 3-15 Firedot on my 280AI that I like a lot, but would like something higher end. Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles are brands I'm interested in but open to others.
I'm not sure what Magnification range, or objective diameter to go with. Low light performance is a concern for deep woods. As well as low end magnification for closer shooting. I don't plan to be shooting more than 500yds ever.
What are you guys using?

I only use Nightforce and any flavor of that from SHV to ATACR would work. I personally use NXS 5.5-22x56 (300WM) or NX8 2.5-20x50 (7PRC) on my bear/mountain rifles.
In your case a NXS 3.5-15x50 would be ideal out to 500 or if you want capped turrets an SHV 4.5-14x56 or even the 3-10x42(have this on another 300WM) would work and be smaller and lighter.

I only use Nightforce and any flavor of that from SHV to ATACR would work. I personally use NXS 5.5-22x56 (300WM) or NX8 2.5-20x50 (7PRC) on my bear/mountain rifles.
In your case a NXS 3.5-15x50 would be ideal out to 500 or if you want capped turrets an SHV 4.5-14x56 or even the 3-10x42(have this on another 300WM) would work and be smaller and lighter.
Between the NX8 and NXS which has the better eye box, I've read one can be finicky but can't find the thread I read on it again…Nightforce is probably my #1 choice…I do like the mag range of the NX8, I hadn't put much thought into capped or dial turrets.

Well, you guys have the biggest choice these days.
When I went to Kodiak in the early 90's, I bought the best scope available at the time, which I still have, a Leupold Vari XIII in 3.5-10x40 to go on my Win Model 70 in 338WM with Leupold rings and bases. The scope was dearer than the rifle at the time…
My boar was taken at 70yrds with a 250g Partition, a finisher was fired into the neck, but wasn't really necessary. My hunting partner took his sow at 90yrds with the same bullet, neither bear ran far, simply turning in the direction the shot came from and falling over within 25yrds.
Both times, our scopes were set on the lowest power, so magnification really is a moot point here…

Cheers.

I'm looking for recommendations on scopes for bear hunting.
Rifle is a Remington 700 .300 Win Mag.
Would like an Illuminated reticle, good eye box and eye relief. Reliable dialing.
I have a VX5HD 3-15 Firedot on my 280AI that I like a lot, but would like something higher end. Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles are brands I'm interested in but open to others.
I'm not sure what Magnification range, or objective diameter to go with. Low light performance is a concern for deep woods. As well as low end magnification for closer shooting. I don't plan to be shooting more than 500yds ever.
What are you guys using?
I like my NF NX8 2.5-20 very much

Well, you guys have the biggest choice these days.
When I went to Kodiak in the early 90's, I bought the best scope available at the time, which I still have, a Leupold Vari XIII in 3.5-10x40 to go on my Win Model 70 in 338WM with Leupold rings and bases. The scope was dearer than the rifle at the time…
My boar was taken at 70yrds with a 250g Partition, a finisher was fired into the neck, but wasn't really necessary. My hunting partner took his sow at 90yrds with the same bullet, neither bear ran far, simply turning in the direction the shot came from and falling over within 25yrds.
Both times, our scopes were set on the lowest power, so magnification really is a moot point here…

Cheers.
Today, choices abound. Similarly, in the mid-1990s, I took my 340 Wby to Alaska sporting a Zeiss Diavari in 3-9x36. Excellent clarity and reasonable weight for long hiking. Very pleased with that scope at that time, but I wouldn't have shot a bear at more than 350 yards then.

Today, I might try a 2.5-8 if I could find better clarity and a similar or maybe 40mm objective. If range was reduced to 250 yards, maybe even a1-1/2-5. Although these 70yo eyes are showing their age, I'm a big fan of lower power for dangerous game.

I'll second MagnumMania c's recommendation. Over 60 years of big game hunting, I've tried most brands of scopes. I now have 6 Leup 3.5-10x40s on various rifles. If all of your hunting was in deep woods, I'd suggest it's little brother, the 1/5-5x20 for its even wider field of view. -Ed
My 375 Weatherby also has a low magnification compact scope on it in 2-7x32, which is as big as I would go with a DG rifle. This Win Model 70 Classic is what I took on my following Kodiak adventure along with the above rifle mentioned.
I have never had a desire to hunt bear at long range, even though today I have the rifles to do it with…

Cheers.

Excellent idea wanting an illuminated dot IMO&E! Hard to find the crosshairs on a dark animal. Last bear I took was a blackie with dogs in NM. Looking up in the tree shade at a dark chocolate blob the illuminated dot helped tremendously! Using a 1-6x VX-6HD on a Marlin in 44 mag worked perfect.
Another blackie years ago on the Kenai in the rain walk and stalk using a Kimber in 308 with a Bushnell 4500 1-4x illuminated worked perfect.
On two tries on Kodiak a 375 H&H with the same Bushnell worked seeing the illuminated dot, but never found the right bear.
I'm a huge fan of illuminated dots for DG no matter what the brand is. It just automatically draws the eye to the do. Put the dot where it needs to be and squeeze.
I have been very happy the last few years using Leupolds VX-6 and VX-5 scopes. Depending on the caliber 1-6x, 2-12x, 3-15x…bear to buffalo including a very yellow mained lion hiding in dark shade.
Best of luck finding what works best for you!

Between the NX8 and NXS which has the better eye box, I've read one can be finicky but can't find the thread I read on it again…Nightforce is probably my #1 choice…I do like the mag range of the NX8, I hadn't put much thought into capped or dial turrets.
I don't notice a lot of difference between the two being they are both SFP. I like the NX8 for its smaller size but I have a lot of time behind the NXS and still prefer them over any other model.

I would consider the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 with the illuminated Moar reticle, should be a perfect combo for 500 yards and a step up from the VX5. Cheers, Jason

I love my NF's (SHV and NX8) but would also suggest you look at Trijicon. I've got a Tenmile HX 3-18x44 in FFP and it's been rock solid. FFP can be a little hard to get used to if you're on the lower power, as the reticle becomes really small, but with the illumination I haven't had any issues. The center is the center no matter how big or small the reticle is. It's got exposed turrets, super reliable dialing, it's about as light as a reliable scope can be and seems to be tough as nails. I believe they make a version in SFP as well, but not too sure. I've never felt like 3x on the low end was too tight in this scope or any other, but if you got in a weird situation with dangerous game I get the point of the even lower power. I also don't really see black bears in the same light as a griz or African dangerous game.

All of this kind of depends on what kind of hunting you'll be doing....baits, hounds, from a stand, spot and stalk? About 99% of my hunting is spot and stalk, and just a little still hunting in between spotting so I've got a setup I can use for bear, deer, hogs and elk. I don't really have a dedicated rifle or scope for bear.