Bear protection Auto in a holster Poll

Do you carry your semi-auto for bear protection in a holster chambered or not chambered?

• Chambered

Votes: 89 78.8%
  • Chambered but on safety

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Not chambered

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
When packing in serious bear country or grizzly country, do you pack your pistol holstered chambered, chambered on safety, or not chambered till needed?
I all ways have one in the tube in the woods or city bears are there and if you are distended to get chewed or killed by a bear that is just the way it is, but you are more likely to get wacked in a city by scum then made dinner by a bear. I live in a place were I have grizz in my back yard every now and then and moose that will stomp you in the dark when taking the dog out at night but city meth heads and drugys are far more of a danger then any wild animal

Last edited:
I've never considered carrying a gun for defense without a round in the chamber. I have a gun in my nightstand that is holstered without one in the chamber, but I have a 3 year old running around, hopefully the early warning systems work. I carry either a 329PD or an XDm10, I like both, I like the 15 rounds the 10mm offers. I'll usually carry the 329PD to supplement a rifle and the XDm when I only have a bow.

One in the chamber, safety on.
I have practiced quite a bit, sometimes I run 1st, so I am out of breath and stressed. My COPD increases stress my level.

I have discouraged a black bear, thankfully I did not need to kill it. The next shot was to kill.
I scared it, it ran up the slope, then hid behind a small tree. Came out, sat upright as it looked at skinny me. It moved as it came at me, 150 yards was disappearing fast.
I fied a shot, it did not paused. I shot a tree trunk and splattered bark across its face. It turned and ran away.
As I said earlier, the next shots were to kill it, I did not need to. My wife and two children were behind me.

Don't leave us hanging, I can't wait to read the "hypothetical".....

I made this comment when operating on far too little sleep…..Hypothetical, may have been an incorrect world to use!

I have "no" intention of using a semi-auto for a bear defense firearm! However if the moment comes when I do not have my full mental capacities and I were to depend upon a semi-auto to stop a bear attack…. It would have a round in the chamber and would be a semi "without" a safety.

My carry handgun for personal protection does not have a safety which must be manipulated as another step to put the handgun into use. So, my bear defense handgun would operate with the same principle. During a bear attack …..is a very poor time to put a firearm into service that you aren't intimately familiar with! memtb

Last edited:
I have heard this argument that external safeties slow guns down multiple times. However, my time to 1st shot on a 1911 is at least 40% faster than comparable combat Tupperware. I will agree that the draw on a 1911 needs to be modified, a little bit to disengage the safety while the gun is coming up. The trigger actually makes the 1911 faster.

Last edited:
I made this comment when operating on far too little sleep…..Hypothetical, may have been an incorrect world to use!

I have "no" intention of using a semi-auto for a bear defense firearm! However if the moment comes when I do not have my full mental capacities and I were to depend upon a semi-auto to stop a bear attack…. It would have a round in the chamber and would be a semi "without" a safety.

My carry handgun for personal protection does not have a safety which must be manipulated as another step to put the handgun into use. So, my bear defense handgun would operate with the same principle. During a bear attack …..is a very poor time to put a firearm into service that you aren't intimately familiar with! memtb
My preferred carry has been a SIG, DA/SA, no external safety, carry chambered round, pull out, point, pull trigger.

My carry gun (anti personnel use) is a Springfield XDS, if……I were to carry a semi in the back country, it would be of similar design! memtb
I do have my S&W Models 27 and 629 for serious business. Light duty, Springfield XD-E 3.3 It is DA/SA just like the sig. Medium Duty, FNP45, same setup, 15 rounds of 45ACP. And some other compbinations offered by sig, like 40W&W, .357Sig. I want me a 10mm, just cant justify it now. It all depends on anticipated threat level, clothing and comfort.

I do have my S&W Models 27 and 629 for serious business. Light duty, Springfield XD-E 3.3 It is DA/SA just like the sig. Medium Duty, FNP45, same setup, 15 rounds of 45ACP. And some other compbinations offered by sig, like 40W&W, .357Sig. I want me a 10mm, just cant justify it now. It all depends on anticipated threat level, clothing and comfort.

I have the same revolvers….though, if in the backcountry I will have my XVR. I carry a handgun in the backcountry to hunt with. If I'm not handgun hunting…..I'm carrying a rifle only ! 😉 memtb