BC Decay Rates

LRSickle

I was going to email this question to Michael Eichele since I'm using the ballistics program he gave me, but I thought I'd throw this out to anyone.
How do you come up with the ballistic decay of a particular bullet? Why is it included in some programs? I'm assuming BC is measured right out if the barrel and two different bullets having the same BC might have a different BC decay rates which would result in different trajectories downrange. Am I on the right path here? Are decay rates of different bullets published anywhere?

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
LR,

The fact that a BC changes (decays) as it flies downrange is an unfortunate consequence of the BC being referenced to a non-representative standard (G1). If you reference the BC to a more appropriate standard (like G7 for long range bullets) the BC doesn't change (significantly) with velocity.

In order to use a G7 BC, your program has to be able to accept it (some programs only work with G1). I don't know if Michael's program can use G7 or not but there are plenty that can including this one:
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/BergerBallistics.exe
*email me if you have trouble with the download ([email protected])

Here's an article that explains more about G1 and G7 BC's.
Berger Bulletin Blog Archive A Better Ballistic Coefficient

The truth is that we shouldn't have to deal with BC decay; there's a better way.

Berger provides G7 BC's for our bullets on the webpage. I've also measured and published G7 BC's for ~175 LR bullets of all calibers and brands in my book.

To answer your question directly, there is no way to reliably predict the G1 BC decay rate.

Take care,
-Bryan

Last edited:

LRSickle

Thanks Brian. I checked Michael's program and the field can be changed to another decay rate. Right now it shows a G1 decay rate of 0.290.
I've noticed that you list both G1 and G7 BCs for your bullets. If I wanted to enter your G7 BCs for my 95gr 6mm VLD load, I would have to change the decay rate also, right? Would I just enter zero in that field?

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
I'm not familiar enough with Michaels program to answer that, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to enter zero.

I know that if you use a program that specifies G1 and G7 it will reference the BC to one of those standards.

-Bryan

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce