Twist rates?

Sevy

OK so I have a 300 win mag with a 1:10 twist. I wanted to try the Berger 215 hybrids but they recommend a 1:9 twist. My question is how much will this effect the flight of the bullet at long range. I'm currently using Hornady 212 eldx so it makes sense to me that the weight and bc is close to the same so it may not make a difference. Or do I just need to shoot some and see.

If I had a 1-10" twist I wouldn't hesitate to use 215's, and expect good results.

If i was building new it would have a 1-9".

The trend in long range is longer bullets, and faster twists, even with some bullets that have performed well with the older standard.

Your altitude and temperature are important factors. At 2850 fps, 32°, and 2500' altitude, a 10 inch twist will give you complete stability.

So right now I'm pushing the Hornady eldx 212 gr. at 2860. I normally elk hunting is done around 4000-6000 feet and hopefully colder than 32 degrees. I would think that I could get the 215s to around the same speed as the hornadys. From what I have read with the way the Berger's are made some people are getting a little more speed out of them than other bullets of the same class. So we will see. Maybe get some in a couple weeks after payday and try them out.

Velocity is the least important part. At 4000' altitude and 10° temps, the bullet will be stable at 2750 fps.

So right now I'm pushing the Hornady eldx 212 gr. at 2860. I normally elk hunting is done around 4000-6000 feet and hopefully colder than 32 degrees. I would think that I could get the 215s to around the same speed as the hornadys. From what I have read with the way the Berger's are made some people are getting a little more speed out of them than other bullets of the same class. So we will see. Maybe get some in a couple weeks after payday and try them out.

I'm pushing the 215 at 2750 FPS out .300 WSM with 1:10" 24" barrel using without any issues. My residence altitude is 3333' and elk hunt at 5-7000'.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts