Barrels 2020

Like most of you I have most of the barrels mentioned. I am a short range benchrest shooter and over the years the preferred barrels have changed. I agree most barrel manufacturers today are doing a great job turning out competitive barrels. Borescopes are common place now so more consumers are looking at what they are getting from their preferred supplier. I have most of the big guys in my safe....Krieger, Bartlein, PacNor, Shilen, Hart, Brux, Broughton, Lilja, and Wilson. My pick for the past several years is Bartlein. They are well represented in the short range benchrest game.

The only issues I have had with any barrels recently is with Wilson. I'm not picking on these guys because I have a bunch of their barrels on hunting rifles and they turn out a good barrel for the money. The last three I received have been taken off for fouling and severe accuracy issues. Mainly due to inconsistent bore dimensions. They would be tight, loose, tight, loose as you push a tight patch down the tube. You can really see this if you put a snug (not tight) fitting reamer bushing on a Gordy rod and run it down the barrel. You will see what I mean about tight then loose. NOT GOOD!! This was not the case with the previous barrels I got from Wilson. This was three different rifles with three different chamberings. Not sure what changed but if you are considering ordering a Wilson make sure and check this before you chamber it. I hope it was just a bad run!

How I fixed the issue is unscrew the Wilson and screw on a Bartlein.....problem solved!

I've had great luck with Bartlein on my 6.5 Sherman and 338 RUM.

That being said, I'm definitely happy with my Rock Creek (6mm Creed Havak) and X-caliber 22/250 AI.

I'm going to have a 22 Creed spun up soon but haven't decided on a barrel make yet. Plenty of great options these days.

Personally, I don't see PRS as a best measure for barrels as it's not a shooting discipline that actually measures accuracy.

Not that bartlein isn't also high on those list as well, I've no experience with them other than good CS when I almost ordered one, but heard many good things by people in BR,f-class as well.

I just think PRS is too often used as the benchmark for "accuracy" in components when that's not really what differentiates the winners.

I am not a good enough shooter or tuner to recommend any barrel makers. I've had proof, Krieger and rock creek now. Just bought another rock creek for a large frame ar and will be using whatever my smith prefers on the next build.
I agree with this. Benchrest and F-Class is where you prove equipment and components to the highest level of precision. Obviously PRS requires accuracy, but the nature of that sport doesn't demand the raw accuracy and precision like BR and F-Class. Hunting rifles are in a class of their own, and in my opinion it's important to pay attention to what everyone is doing.

I had another Wilson put on my 22-250 a year ago. Shoots good, but this one fouls terribly. Cleaned a pretty fresh Proof CF barrel today. It took a couple hours to get the copper fouling out using Barnes copper remover. Accuracy is barely sub moa at 200 yards with factory Hornady 6.5 creed ammo. Can't hold that against it. Also cleaned a pretty fresh Bartlien in 6.5 creed using the same ammo.Spent maybe 15 minutes cleaning and it's shooting real close to .25 moa at 200 yards. I have two more Bartlien's on the way.

The rock creek on my 308 has 5120 rounds to date. Has always shot extremely well and never shows copper. I've had 2 dozen Douglas and will continue to buy them. 2 barts 1 Kreiger and a few others I won't use or mention. If the chamber work is good all the above shoot as expected or better

I've used a lot of different barrels over the years and I haven't had too many quality issues. I have had customer service issues that make me steer clear though.

Criterion- 6mm BR, 6.5x47 Lapua, 243 Win

Benchmark- 6mm BR, 338/375 Ruger, 300 RUM, 338 Edge

Brux- 22x47 Lapua, 6.5 badger (6.5/338 RUM Imp), 7mm RUM, 300 WSM, 338 Edge, 375 BME (375/404 improved)

Bartlein- 6.5mm BRX, 300 Win Mag, 338 Edge, 338 SnipeTac

Mcgowen- 243 win, 6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Rem. 284 Win, 358 Win, 338/375 Ruger

Lilja- 270 RUM, 7mm RUM, 338 Edge, 338 SnipeTac

Xcaliber- 6x47 Lapua, 270 WSM

K&P- 270/338 RUM Imp

Broughton- 308 Win, 270/338 RUM imp, 338/375 Ruger

Pacnor- 300 WSM

Blackhole- 6.5 Grendel, 6x45, 6.5/338 RUM imp

Douglas- 308 Win, 300 WSM
Shilen- 6mm Dasher, 308 Win

Out of all those, the only one I wouldn't use again is the K&P. I had trouble with Xcaliber early on, but they're so much better now that I wouldn't hesitate to use them. K&P was 100% a customer service issue. There're too many other good barrel makers out there to deal with poor service.
I'd like to talk to you about your 270/338RUM imp my cell is 9185416847
Thanks
Doc

I've been burned by Lilja and Hart- sorry customer service and arrogant owners. Best luck with Schneider and Krieger. That said I have bought 20+ Shilens last few years. Best barrel I ever had was a Chanlynn in 6.5.
The Shilens just work and they're quick to deliver, main reason I use so many

Shilen - Seems like they just don't care anymore. Multiple returns to get it right. When the thing finally is what was ordered it usually works just fine.

Lilja - >10 years ago was THE barrel to have. Back then I would never use anyone else. Nowadays, I just don't use them at all but I suspect they're still excellent.

Columbia River Arms/Black Hole Weaponry - Extremely consistent, always easy to load for, always what I ordered, pricing is hard to match. I use these almost exclusively now. The polygonal rifling has given me up to 50% longer throat life and MUCH easier cleaning. Best high volume shooting barrels I've had.

Hart - Just a great barrel every time but I only use them for Metallic Silhouette barrels.
Why?

I am curious about wilson, for AR15 & AR10, I see two positive comments here, I think they make barrels for Rock River Arms ? and their varmint barrels are true tack drivers
I have an SPR blank on my AR from WOA, 223 Wylde chamber. Shoots 0.5-0.75" 100yd 5 shot groups pretty consistent with Hornady 75's. I'm gonna try some VARGET and H4895 next as the cfe223 doesn't seem to be consistent. The next day, same load could be almost 1".

I have 2 WOA ar barrels. Both the predator series. 16" and 20". Buddy has a 18 and 20" same series. Brother has 20" also. All shoot .75 or less with a fairly good variety of ammo. A lot of times .5". Pretty good shootin stuff. Have had several RRA uppers / complete rifles. They all shot as good as as the woa barrels

I have 270 wsm with a 1-9t benchmark barrel. It shoots amazing with 165 matrix vld at 3000fps and 126 hammers at 3450fps,
Also have A Brux on a custom 30 Sherman mag . That shoots 1/2 moa with factory 300 prc ammo and more like 1/4moa with handload.
I have also used about 6 Oregon mountain rifle barrel all prefits. 300 prc or 6.5 prc and they have all shot great..
I just got a carbon 6 barrel for 6.5 Sherman max for a tikka I will install soon

Personally, I don't see PRS as a best measure for barrels as it's not a shooting discipline that actually measures accuracy.

Not that bartlein isn't also high on those list as well, I've no experience with them other than good CS when I almost ordered one, but heard many good things by people in BR,f-class as well.

I just think PRS is too often used as the benchmark for "accuracy" in components when that's not really what differentiates the winners.

I am not a good enough shooter or tuner to recommend any barrel makers. I've had proof, Krieger and rock creek now. Just bought another rock creek for a large frame ar and will be using whatever my smith prefers on the next build.
While the actual shooting of PRS is in its self not a super precise sport, I can guarantee you when these guys are at the bench building loads or they're building rifles they are chasing every little thing they can get. I shoot prs and some of the guys I shoot with are absolutely crazy. I dont believe its necessary for PRS but they still treat it like they're shooting BR lol. Its the fastest growing shooting sport in America right now so the competition drives these people to get whatever edge they can get.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.