Barrels 2020

Surprised to see the McGowen hate. I've got them in Remages in 338 Edge, 6X45, buddy in 260AI. Nothing but good to say about them. Edge has done well in long range competition. If they sell it, I'll buy it from them.

Also good luck with Shilen. 243AI and 20 Practical on Savage prefits. The 243AI is on the tail end of its life, shooting .75MOA, it was well sub .5MOA in its prime. The 20 Practical is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot, stupid small groups.

I have a Krieger on a precision AR, for an AR it is very accurate. Bartlein on my F-class rifle, that IS the most accurate rifle I own and will get me to High Master next year.

I have literally zero complains on any after-market bolt action barrel I've ever installed. That's about a dozen, I'm sure if your N is larger this may change.

4- harts- 308 Norma, 2 (6mm-06), 308 win. All shoot 1/2 MOA or better without much effort and are all very straight. Always machine nice. Can't go wrong with a Hart. Its a fail safe company. You'll get a good barrel.

1- X-Caliber from when they first got going. 6br. Bore wasn't very smooth, but cleaned up after about 40 rounds. It holds 1/4 MOA. Machined fine.

1- Rock Creek. 6mm-06. Nice barrel holds 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards with my hunting rifle.

1- Shilen from about 10 years ago. 6.5-280 imp. Worst custom barrel I have personally bought IMO. Bore was off from OD by quite a bit. Took a very long time to find a load that would shoot 5/8" @100. I gave up on it. I know they make good stuff, but i expected better. I should have sent it back to begin with. Don't plan to buy another anytime soon.

2- Kriegers, 280 imp, and 338 RUM. Always good barrels. Pretty straight, and machine well. 280 Is an F-class rifle and holds its own, and 338 has 3 rounds down it.

I have an ABC barrel, but they are hard to get and I haven't chambered this up yet. I have yet to hear about a bad barrel leaving his shop. BR quality stuff from every review.

I'll throw my .02 in on this one, have had 2 rifles built in the last 12 months and one that I am gathering parts for currently, using blanks from 3 different barrel makers on these:

1) Rock Creek AO Varmint contour .264 1:8 twist 5R (they make a 4 groove option too) chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor by Accurate Ordnance (was one of the last rifles Mark built/shipped before his dad died and he closed his shop)... solid 0.2-0.3 MOA rifle all day long

2) Krieger M24 .243 1:7.5 twist chambered in 6mm Creedmoor by Mark Pharr of Tumbleweed Custom Rifles, have less than 100 rds through the gun but getting consistent 0.1MOA with Hornady factory ammo

3) Bartlein #3B .284 1:8.7 twist 5R, havent decided what it will be chambered as just yet, but it'll be going on my Win M70 shortly (will probably keep it as 280Rem since I am a sucker for that round), visual inspection and bore scope suggests it should be just as accurate as the other 2

I really enjoy shooting my Rem 700 30-06 with a 24" Douglas air-guaged heavy sporter barrel. Always accurate and easy to clean. I did have it hand lapped after assembly. I only use 168 gr Barnes ttsx bullets in it and push them close to 3,100 fps with almost no pressure signs.

I have 2 bartlein's, 3 benchmarks, 1 hell's canyon carbon,1 KS arms and a carbon hardy.

they are all outstanding!! The benchmark are fantastic barrels. The hells canyon is beautiful and shoots super fast. The ks cleans up amazing and will be ordering more once i chamber up my last benchmark.

I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have 2 kriegers, 2 brux, lilja, Oregon mountain rifle, and a bartlein. Of the barrels I've used I'll be sticking with Krieger from now on. I have another on the way and probably going to order yet another soon.
I must be the only person ever to get a bad bartlein. I'm going to send the barrel back to them but at this point I dont expect anything after the phone call I had with them.
I have a couple proof cf but dont have them chambered yet.
The OMR shoots great but as someone mentioned earlier about crooked barrels I was told the same by my smith about mine. And like someone else said even crooked barrels can shoot because it sure does!

I wil admit that I dont have the experience as most on this forum, but I have a Lilja that shot great in my 6.5 and a Hawk Hill that was great at sub 1/2 MOA in my 7mm.

Sir Feenix wrote he's using a 1:8 .27 caliber barrel, which piqued my curiosity.

I'm a big .270 Winchester fan. Unfortunately, because factory barrels have universally been twisted 1:10, this grand old cartridge has not been able to take advantage of the new long-for-caliber, higher-BC projectiles which other calibers have adapted to so well. Some new bullets are coming available now in .277 from Berger and Nosler. I hope Sierra follows suit with their Game Changer.

I have an old Rem. 700 (inherited from my Grandfather) chambered in .270 which I'd like to re-build and re-barrel. I'll look into Lilja on Feenix' recommendation. I've used X-Caliber and Brux custom barrels on projects so far and have been really pleased with them.

I was considering a light contour 20" or 22" as I'd like to build a backpacking rifle with a lightweight folding chassis stock. I carried a fat Muley Buck out of a steep canyon this year (two heavy trips!) and it's very nice to fold and stow your rifle inside your pack for such an endeavor.

I've been wondering if I should go with 1:8 or 1:8.5. I spoke with Sierra a few weeks ago and Phil on the tech support line assured me their old standby 150 BTSP Game King will hold up fine while inside the tube with a 1:8 twist . . . but he wondered if it might open up more quickly on impact with meat if spinning faster than 1:10. He didn't have any evidence to suggest it, but thought it could happen. The 150 Sierra isn't a "long range" bullet but I've sure had great luck with it. I wonder if a faster spin rate affects other, higher-BC bullets on impact too?

Has anyone had any experiences with bullets being more fragile than usual on game when shot through a tight twist barrel?

If Feenix, or anyone else, finds time to reply, I'd sure like to know what bullets and handloads you've been using in your 1:8 twist .270 Winchester barrels.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

SF -
Brad Norman
Nevada

Brad,

My .270 AI was built primarily to propel the 165/175 Matrix VLD. Unfortunately, I have only loaded the 175. My current accuracy load (.75 MOA @ 966 yards if I do my part) is 58 H4831SC (as always, work up to it slowly and watch for pressure signs) at 2993 FPS. I reach near 3100 FPS, but it showed a sign of pressure, and the group opened up. Others are claiming an additional 100 FPS with RL-26.

I think Phil is correct; the 150 should hold up with the 1:8". I have some 150 LRABs but have not tried them yet.

View attachment 230678
View attachment 230680
Taken at 525 with 175 Matrix.

View attachment 230685

Heart shot at 200 yards, almost field dressed. :)
Thanks for the reply Sir Feenix.

My rifles are plain-Jane .270 Winchesters; so the data you kindly provided for your AI version wouldn't quite work. However, I too have had good results with H4831SC, in some guns, and better luck with H4350 in others. They all shoot Sierra bullets well. Congrats on your results with .75 MOA at over 900 yards. Very nice.

I've heard good things about the long-for-caliber Matrix Canadian bullets, but I've also read they're not available in the US anymore. I've not checked recently though, so that could be out-dated information. Where do you source them?

Berger took the plunge, bless 'em, and is making their "Extreme Outer Limit" Elite Hunter bullet at 170 grains. It's a beauty, but I've not even tried to shoot them in a 1:10 barrel. I also like the looks of the Nosler 150 ABLR, but have read mixed results on terminal performance.

The percentage of .270 owners who are interested in and willing to re-barrel to a faster twist is likely pretty small . . . which I suppose explains the market's general hesitancy to design and market longer, heavier, high-BC pills in .277 diameter. I'm completely invested and satisfied with the .270 Winchester cartridge, after hunting for so many years with it in various rifles. The easy fix for long range, I suppose, would be to go with a .280 / .280 AI for the much-better bullet selection. Not for me though.

Funny how you can get a LOT of heavy bullets for the .264 diameter, but again that's driven by the common availability of 1:8 barrels.

Fingers crossed that Sierra will make available a high-BC .277 Game Changer sometime soon. Something in the 165 - 175 range would be terrific.

Happy hunting Sir!

SF -
Brad

Preferred Barrels formerly MGM
Total garbage, same goes for Oregon Mountain Rifles.
My smith said the last one he received was crooked in two different directions, no wonder I couldn't get it to shoot consistently.
McGowan isn't much better
I could probably 2nd this but Preferred shipped me an empty tube after the barrel broke through the 2 pieces of tape criss-crossed on either end. I filed a claim with UPS, so maybe Preferred got their money back, but after saying they'd replace the barrel in 2 weeks, they won't return emails after 6 more weeks when it took 4 months to get the thing ready after it was promised in 4 - 8 weeks. Forget them answering the phone. There was 1 piece of brown paper inside with the muzzle end imprint where the barrel was pushed up against one side and not centered inside the tube. 1 plastic end cap was pushed inside one end and it had not been stapled. Then again, the UPS label stated the weight as 1 pound, so how was there a barrel in there to start with? Complete fraud? Logan, the dude answering most of the emails and the one phone call I got after I lambasted them for a week seems like a nice, professional guy, on the same plane as Grant from JGS...almost, but he doesn't make nor package the barrels for shipping. Their bore diameter standard is .003" through the entire length. Shilen and even Wilson is .002", and the top brands mentioned by the OP is .001". I'm out $385, and they make you pay in full up front, so the time you have to file fraud charges with the card company has passes by the time you realize something is amiss. This could well be criminal. Can't say for sure, but they took my $$!

Next, Ragged Hole barrels in Sparks, NV that used to get on here quite a bit and drum up business a couple or so years ago uses Wilson barrels for cheap. I ordered a fast twist 6mm Remington and it was done in 2 weeks, except that it went to WA and I'm in MS. They had not responded to multiple questions prior to that, but did respond when I sent a copy of their tracking and begged for any response. He promised another identical barrel and delivered in 13 days. Good fit and finish, but accuracy was very mediocre, at best. I found 2 loads that got to exactly MOA, but no better. If you had to replace a burned out hunting barrel on a sentimental firearm, this might be a good option. Otherwise, meh... This is a prime example of a small upstart company operating with 2 guys that got way more business than they were capable of keeping up with in short order. I noticed Gun Broker feedback has gone down for them steadily over the past couple of years, as well. They don't answer questions on their auction items many times, either. Look them up there at Bookredsox username.

I had a smith that used nothing but Lilja barrels from about 10 years ago to about 7 years ago, and I never got one capable of sub 3/4 MOA, and some of his jobs weren't capable of 2 MOA. I finally bought him a Brux barrel and a Pierce action and had him make me a .22x47L, and never got another Lilja. Brux has done excellent for me, including more recently.

Shilen... meh. 11/16 MOA in a .308 Win Match from Northland OR WORSE. Decent hunting barrels. Not so much for match quality. I am unimpressed by the one Bartlein I have. I replaced a Mullerworks with it, and the Mullerworks was slightly more accurate. No personal experience, but my current smith built his personal gun on a Proof and had all sorts of trouble getting it to group. Therefore, I just ordered from Carbon Six (formerly The Barrel Outlet in Louisiana). I am familiar with their work. They sent me a McGowen in .284 Win Match and it was a solid 1/2 MOA gun. Same for the other McGowen I had from that Lilja smith chambered in .300 Whisper. He touted McGowen, too, just not as high as Lilja.

My 1 Hart barrel and installation job was great. My most accurate shouldered barrel was a Douglas air gaged .30 Caliber that took 40 shots to break in, but turned into a quarter-inch gun. Pretty good for a rented reamer .300 Dakota on a 27" Rem. Mag contour in a Stocky's stock!

My most accurate barrel of all time, and most consistently accurate of all are the Criterion (CBI) Savage pre-fits. These things shoot routinely in the .1s and .2s!! Just wish they would expand their chamber offerings to the size of Shilen's list.

And yes, Krieger is still good! VERY good! I am curious to try Hawk Hill one day, and finally got a Rock Creek a few years back that got sold before it got installed. That was another example of a small company getting more business than they could keep up with.

Finally, Pac-Nor has been ok for me. I haven't used them since they got their fancy lapping machine. Hope it didn't get destroyed in the fire last year this time.

To sum up, in my experience (with the exception of Douglas Premium), you get what you pay for when it comes to barrels. If I had to choose one or two to build a shouldered barrel, I would have a Krieger or Brux. Criterion is still the king of pre-fits until I find out differently.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this for awhile and I want to make a thread discussing barrels and their quality as of now. Barrels like all things go up and down and change over the years. I know of a few barrel manufactures who have stepped their game up in the last couple years and seem to be producing better results. I currently am running Bartlein barrels and have no complaints about them. I however am very curious and I always like to experiment and learn more.

Having said that, if any of you could just give me a brief review or opinion on recent barrels you have used/installed/inspected I would really appreciate it. This is not a bashing thread, but I want it to be sort of a guide and understanding of where barrels stand as of 2020. I'll start off and say from my experiences , I see mainly Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, and Proof barrels. Those all seem to do well, but how about all the other guys?
I have a OMR/Oregon Mountain Rifle 7mm rem mag 8T 26" rem 700 prefit CF. OMR takes a button pulled blank and turns it down and wraps it. Fit and finish is very good. It shoots .4 to .5 with a 180 gr vld-h at 2944 fps sd of 7. Over all am very happy with it. I've gotten a mirage off the barrel after 5 or 6 shot stings in the summer with the rifle sitting in the sun light. Its a hunting rifle and the scope is tight to the bore. And really am never gonna have that issue in the field. But I have learned from this I am not gonna do a CF barrel on my PRS build.

Thanks for the reply Sir Feenix.

My rifles are plain-Jane .270 Winchesters; so the data you kindly provided for your AI version wouldn't quite work. However, I too have had good results with H4831SC, in some guns, and better luck with H4350 in others. They all shoot Sierra bulllong-for-caliberets well. Congrats on your results with .75 MOA at over 900 yards. Very nice.

I've heard good things about the Matrix Canadian bullets, but I've also read they're not available in the US anymore. I've not checked recently though, so that could be out-dated information. Where do you source them?

Berger took the plunge, bless 'em, and is making their "Extreme Outer Limit" Elite Hunter bullet at 170 grains. It's a beauty, but I've not even tried to shoot them in a 1:10 barrel. I also like the looks of the Nosler 150 ABLR, but have read mixed results on terminal performance.

The percentage of .270 owners who are interested in and willing to re-barrel to a faster twist is likely pretty small . . . which I suppose explains the market's general hesitancy to design and market longer, heavier, high-BC pills in .277 diameter. I'm completely invested and satisfied with the .270 Winchester cartridge, after hunting for so many years with it in various rifles. The easy fix for long range, I suppose, would be to go with a .280 / .280 AI for the much-better bullet selection. Not for me though.

Funny how you can get a LOT of heavy bullets for the .264 diameter, but again that's driven by the common availability of 1:8 barrels.

Fingers crossed that Sierra will make available a high-BC .277 Game Changer sometime soon. Something in the 165 - 175 range would be terrific.

Happy hunting Sir!

SF -
Brad
I considered doing a long action 270 wsm with a 8T and the 170 eol. But when I ran the numbers against my 7mm rem mag 8T shooting a 180 vld-h I decided against it. It gives about the same trajectory, with less recoil. But the performance is relative to the recoil. But for hunting it would give great performance with minimal recoil. Like a 7 saum, the 270 wsm with a 170 eol would be just enough for long range elk hunting.

I've had Shilen, Hart, Benchmark, and Bartlein.

Bartleins are all I will use now. Never seen or heard of a bad one.

Shilen was a very good shooter as well as HART.

The one Benchmark I had must have been a bad apple, because it just plain sucked. I'll never own another one.

My order would be as follows, Bartlein, Krieger, and Brux. The rest fall in the middle for me anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.