Barrels 2020

I will say the best barrels I have ever shot were Clay Spencer barrels I think he was before his time on the finish work put into them I still own a couple and they are shot sparingly

I must add a positive note on McGowen Barrels.
They will happily add a barrel lug profile cut into the barrel like the CZ safari magnum barrels.
They did that for my 500AccRel.

Does it shoot? Absolutely.
Here is a three-shot, 100 yard group, 360gntippedCEB, 95.0gn H4198, 2801fps.

bGQESx3.jpg

20171201 500group 4-10 med.jpg

Or with a tad more powder:
20151112 group500Ny350CEB.jpg

I have been thinking about this for awhile and I want to make a thread discussing barrels and their quality as of now. Barrels like all things go up and down and change over the years. I know of a few barrel manufactures who have stepped their game up in the last couple years and seem to be producing better results. I currently am running Bartlein barrels and have no complaints about them. I however am very curious and I always like to experiment and learn more.

Having said that, if any of you could just give me a brief review or opinion on recent barrels you have used/installed/inspected I would really appreciate it. This is not a bashing thread, but I want it to be sort of a guide and understanding of where barrels stand as of 2020. I'll start off and say from my experiences , I see mainly Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, and Proof barrels. Those all seem to do well, but how about all the other guys?
I've had good luck with many of the well known makers. I have also had some excellent barrels from companies like Broughton and PacNor. I have a 7STW and 6x47L that have Broughton barrels, excellent result. I have a 25/06IMP with a PacNor, a tack driver and it cleans up easily.

Not an opinion but a question. I wanting to build a 257 mag on a H-S persision stock. Wanting a heavy barrel 26 inch.
What are recommendations?

I have been thinking about this for awhile and I want to make a thread discussing barrels and their quality as of now. Barrels like all things go up and down and change over the years. I know of a few barrel manufactures who have stepped their game up in the last couple years and seem to be producing better results. I currently am running Bartlein barrels and have no complaints about them. I however am very curious and I always like to experiment and learn more.

Having said that, if any of you could just give me a brief review or opinion on recent barrels you have used/installed/inspected I would really appreciate it. This is not a bashing thread, but I want it to be sort of a guide and understanding of where barrels stand as of 2020. I'll start off and say from my experiences , I see mainly Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, and Proof barrels. Those all seem to do well, but how about all the other guys?
I shoot Pac-nor, Benchmark, Kreiger, Proof, Carbon6, And ER Shaw. With the right handloads it's really hard to tell the difference between them. Trigger quality seems to affect accuracy more than barrel name any more!

I believe benchmark is producing some of the best barrels, anywhere, at any price. I have at least 20 guns barrrled in benchmark barrels. Loik at the notionals and see how many top 10 shooters are using benchmark barrels. U will be surprized. Button rifled and cut rifled. Standard and cf wrapped. They have you covered. And they are really nice people and all shooters, dedicated to making the BEST barrels made!

The most accurate rifle/barrel I have ever owned was a 300 win built on a Christensen Arms blank.... Current build is a carbon 6 .... I have had good luck with many of the larger barrel manufactures. If I had to pick a stainless barrel from a few it would be Hart and the the 3 B's.......Brux, Broughton, Bartlien... In carbon Proof would be my top pick till I have the opportunity to try more...

Last edited:
I have used Mcgowen, X-caliber, green mtn and criterion.
X-caliber- I have 4, all shoot well one shoots exceptional. I have noticed that one seems to not clean up very easy.
Green Mtn- I got this barrel to do a real cheap prairie dog setup. Funny enough it's the most accurate I have ever had. I only have one it could be a unicorn so who knows.
Mcgowen- I have 4, one shoots very well, two shoot .5 and the last one isn't installed yet. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a blank from them again.
Criterion- 2 both are heavy barrels and small calibers both shoot great.
So far they have all worked great and I would buy any of them again. Most are heavier barrels so I expect that they should shoot. The lightest is a Douglas #4 contour. I will be interested to see what happens with lighter barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.