Barrel twist question ?

birddog67

Burger calls out 1 in 11 or faster to stabilize 210 VDL so my 1 in 10 would be fine correct. ? I just can't get them to shoot better than 5/8 to 3/4 MOA out of my 300 . It will shoot Barnes 180 XXX in to a ragged hole under a 1/2 MOA at 100 not sure if its me or some thing else !

Move your target to 300 yds and see if the bullet will stabilize. It may need a little distance to settle down.

sendero72 said:
Move your target to 300 yds and see if the bullet will stabilize. It may need a little distance to settle down.

X2, I think I'm over spinning the 168 grain bergers I'm using currently in my ten twist 300 wsm, 100 yards the groups arent real great, I was told this is normal and not to worry, set targets up at 200-300 yards and see what happens....

you didn't mention what 300. Most people that shoot a 300wm use a 10 twist, there are alot of 28' 10 twist 300wm bench guns that shoot the 210 into smaller than caliber groups a 100yrds, unless your shooting them over 3150 in a 10 twist, they will settle fine at 100yards, my first thought is seating depth.

It's a 300 ultra mag 26" sendaro , right now I am pushing the 210 VDL at 2840 , I have moved my seating depths from .012 off the lands to .035 off the lands have a hard time with my dies rcbs gold medal dies seating them farther off I keep pushing the necks into my shoulders ? My lenght to lands on my gun is 3.945 , not sure if I need to load up on my powder charges ? I am a 87.5 gr of retumbo .

Try seating them touching or .010-.015" in, but maybe that's all your barrel is capable of with that bullet, it may be to rough.

You're not overspinning to the extent that it should negatively impact accuracy. And, the bullets do not need to "go to sleep."

You most likely have yet to find the ideal seating depth as others have explained.

Another option may be to try the Berger Hybrids as they are considered to be less sensitive to seating depth and perhaps easier to tune.

Best of luck!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.