Barrel Twist

I haven't seen this video before, but I have seen the same method in a different video. I tried it on a couple rifles, and it works well. I'd just say do it several times and get an average, rather than doing it one time.

Things aren't always as they appear. I have a Savage 112 BVSS 9 twist. I have carefully checked the twist using the method above and it measures out to be an 8.5 twist. Repeated tests all show the barrel to be an actual 8.5 twist. It does shoot 77gr bullets quite well. Just for laughs I'm going to try some 80gr ELD-M bullets that I've got sitting around.

I've heard of other barrels that were way off from the twist stated by the manufacturer.

Things aren't always as they appear. I have a Savage 112 BVSS 9 twist. I have carefully checked the twist using the method above and it measures out to be an 8.5 twist. Repeated tests all show the barrel to be an actual 8.5 twist. It does shoot 77gr bullets quite well. Just for laughs I'm going to try some 80gr ELD-M bullets that I've got sitting around.

I've heard of other barrels that were way off from the twist stated by the manufacturer.
I believe Steve at Hammer ha run into this before. I think I remember some one having issues with stability using one of their bullets. When they checked the twist it was not as advertised. I wonder how many of the various bullet failures we hear about are caused by people using bullets that are unstable because the twist in their barrel is not as advertised.

Simple solutions are always the best.

Occam's Razor:

In philosophy, Occam's razor (also spelled Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor; Latin: novacula Occami) is the problem-solving principle that recommends searching for explanations constructed with the smallest possible set of elements.

Errors in mass produced components are generally a possibility due to any number of factors. Lack of QC in favor of profits is one such downfall prevalent today. This is usually where custom components really shine, when you accept the cost. There is also a difference between the older technique of cut rifled barrels and the newer CNC products. Older barrels could have slight errors in twist rate while the newer versions often are very accurate and consistent.

Pull button rifling can often result in the button 'skidding' in small sections of the barrel resulting in differential twist rates. Lower end manufacturers depend on buyers who ignore checking the QC of their products in favor of price points.

Checking the twist rate of your barrels is simple and effective, giving you some added information regarding your shooting.

Enjoy the video!

:)

Am I the only one who questions what Keith Warren brings to the table?

The whole missed head shot 50 BMG thing really turned me off to him, seemed like a hey look at me moment.

Not my business model, not my concern, but I really dig the videos from James and Barbour Creek sans KW.