Barrel twist advice

Depending on how heavy you plan to go, the 1:9 would be fine but can go even tighter if you want to throw very heavy bullets. The 1:10 is maxed out on effectiveness with the 220 grain pills. It might also be a factor of what barrels are available when you are ready to re-barrel the gun. What is on the gun now, 1:10?

Depending on how heavy you plan to go, the 1:9 would be fine but can go even tighter if you want to throw very heavy bullets. The 1:10 is maxed out on effectiveness with the 220 grain pills. It might also be a factor of what barrels are available when you are ready to re-barrel the gun. What is on the gun now, 1:10?
Currently it is 1-11 and I am maxed out at 190 Bergers

Look around at some of the solids and see if you may ever want to shoot some of them. The heavier options in solids (200+gr) require fast twists.
with supply issues right now it's pretty easy to order up a few hundred solids and have them in a couple weeks vs waiting for Berger or who ever to produce the bullet you want.

My .300 win mag is about ready for a new barrel. I want to stabilize 220gr and above bullets for hunting out to 1k and elr to a mile. What would be the twist rate suggestions of the well versed here? I am thinking a 9 twist, 28 inch tube.
1:9" is excellent for most lead bullets. I have three .300 WMs (two with 1:10" and one with 1:11"). One of them will need a re-barrel soon, and it will be a 1:8" so I can shoot the heavy/long monos if I want to. Good luck!

I wouldn't go slower than 8" for a 30 cal. 8" will limit your ability with some cup and core bullets that are not well enough built, but slower than 8" will limit your ability with the stuff that matters.

Currently it is 1-11 and I am maxed out at 190 Bergers
The 190 Berger out of a .300 WM is no slouch. I harvested a Montana bull elk at 931Y. Since you are familiar with the Berger, a 1:9" twist for a Berger 215 to 230 out of a 28" .300 WM is golden. Good luck!

(1:9" twist barrel)

(1:10' twist barrel)

Last edited:
My .300 win mag is about ready for a new barrel. I want to stabilize 220gr and above bullets for hunting out to 1k and elr to a mile. What would be the twist rate suggestions of the well versed here? I am thinking a 9 twist, 28 inch tube.
If you plan to keep chasing heavier bullets as the come out you might want to consider going one turn faster.

It's also a very good idea if there is even a chance you may find yourself needing to shoot mono's in the future.

You also want to throat it properly for the longer bullets.

The 190 Berger out of a .300 WM is no slouch. I harvested a Montana bull elk at 931Y. Since you are familiar with the Berger, a 1:9" twist for a Berger 215 to 230 out of a 28" .300 WM is golden. Good luck!

(1:9" twist barrel)

(1:10' twist barrel)

agreeing kevin corrigan GIF

When I build mine next year, it will be a 1:9". That is plenty for up to 230s. Which I wouldn't shoot any heavier than a 230 in a .300WM personally.

In all reality, a 1:10" is adequate for a 230 in most situations. That is what I shot in my 1:10" .300RUM.

What altitude do you typically hunt at?

We are 1414ft above sea level at the front gate and 1260ft at the river. I'm currently shooting 230gr Atips in a 300prc at 2950fps with a 1:9tw with a 26" barrel. The rifle has been sub moa with everything from 212eldx bullets to 230 Atips. I know it's not a 300wm but the 300prc is very similar. I think a 1:8tw is as fast as I'd go in a 30cal magnum but a 1:9tw seems to handle everything from 200-230gr for me so far.

So I'd vote for 1:9tw unless you ever plan on shooting the big monos.

1:9 will cover you for everything except heavy monos.

1:8 if you want to shoot those too.

Recent Posts