Barrel ... Twist.... Question...

COBigJohn

I understand why one would need a 1-8".... or even a 1-7" twist barrel to stabilize the flight of long bullets.... I get that.

But here is my question..... what does a 1-8" twist barrel do to a short, light bullet?

Say I have a .264 Win Mag with a 1-8" twist barrel. I love it and it will hit the lungs of a bull elk at 600 yards, with a 147gr death pill.

But then I am also hunting coyotes a week later with a hand load of 95gr VMax....

How will that bullet fly out of a tight twist barrel?

you really don't know until you shot it, In theory it will over stabilize at shorter ranges say 300 yards and under, 20 odd some years ago when VLD bullets hit the scene I had a customer order a 6MM-284 with a 1-7 twist to shoot prairie dogs, when the gun wouldn't shoot up to expectations I had him return it so I could trouble shoot it, I had the same gun but with a 1-9 twist, I liked going with the red mist affect, I had a good supply of 55 gr Nosler bt and hornady 58 gr v-max backed by a good dose of VN n560 both bullets produced 5 shot groups in the 3 to 4 tenths range with no tweaks, I fired 4 5 shots groups that morning then faxed him copies of the targets, he hadn't planned on shooting bullets that light, so he kept that barrel and then ordered another gun again with a 1-7 twist,

I understand why one would need a 1-8".... or even a 1-7" twist barrel to stabilize the flight of long bullets.... I get that.

But here is my question..... what does a 1-8" twist barrel do to a short, light bullet?

Say I have a .264 Win Mag with a 1-8" twist barrel. I love it and it will hit the lungs of a bull elk at 600 yards, with a 147gr death pill.

But then I am also hunting coyotes a week later with a hand load of 95gr VMax....

How will that bullet fly out of a tight twist barrel?

Just fine unless it's an extremely thin skinned bullet in which case it might just come apart completely. If it does, you'll see one or two puffs of smoke between the bench and your hundred yard target.

Some benchrest guys will tell you that overspinning a bullet keeps it from "tipping over" in flight and thus negatively affecting group size but I have yet to see that pan out in the real world.

If you're concerned shoot a mono and you'll never have to worry about it.

I've shot almost everything from 85 grain hammer to the 156 grain Berger in my 1:7 6.5 CM with outstanding results. i concur with WildRose that a mono is likely a better option in the lighter bullet weights.