What barrel twist?

Edd - why do you disagree? I am asking to learn...not not argue.;)

That cartridge needs a .750" diameter bolt and a 1.125" diameter tenon thread. The actions that have both of those are usually for longer cartridges and are big and ugly. A BAT HR is the closest thing I know of that would be a decent fit.

Thanks Edd...I figured it was a size related issue, but I appreciate your detailing that for us.

That cartridge needs a .750" diameter bolt and a 1.125" diameter tenon thread. The actions that have both of those are usually for longer cartridges and are big and ugly. A BAT HR is the closest thing I know of that would be a decent fit.
Curtis custom

It has been proven long ago that a shorter than calibre neck is NOT a design flaw, nor does it effect accuracy or ability to handle long bullets.
This belief is pure HOGWASH.

Cases that have demonstrated BR type accuracy with short necks run like this; 243W, 264WM, 6.5-284, 7mmRM, 7STW and 300WM.
If you can dispute this, please provide PROOF that shows the neck having a detrimental effect on ANYTHING.
The other BS statement regarding headspace on a belt as being a negative feature is ridiculous. Do you know that a rim or belt are THE most positive ways to headspace a cartridge?!
Do you also know that a belted cartridge quite often gets the most accurate groupings on NEW brass?! This is due to the belt being perfectly perpendicular to the bore at firing.
The US Marines are STILL using a cartridge with a belt for sniping enemies at LR that was invented back in 1963, that is 7 years older than I am. Still a great cartridge to this day.........the good 'ole 300WM!

Cheers.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but all of the actions I mentioned are available with a .750 bolt and larger tennon .
If Defiance made an action with a .750" diameter bolt and a 1.125" diameter tenon thread, I would either own one or have one on order.

Magnum, rims on magnum cartridges vary in depth between manufacturers and even production runs and make for poor head spacing tolerances.

Yeah, I own two .300 win mag rifles, an HS Precision competition rifle and a Browning A-Bolt. Both are quite accurate - usually.
Eric B.

been looking at another rifle build. Thinking it will be a 300 mag. Was considering 300 Win, but after watching a YouTube video on the 300 PRC and was particularly taken by the supposed flexibility it offers. Being able to handle 225-230 gr bullet for LR targets and 180-212gr for hunting.

This brings into question what barrel twist and will it handle this range of bullets.

Thanks in anticipation.

Whichever chambering you choose, IIWY, I'd go with 1:9" or faster.

Whichever chambering you choose, IIWY, I'd go with 1:9" or faster.

You sure 1:9 is good for hunting? I'm going to assume that hunting ranges will be inside 600y but that is just an assumption. I'm omly bringing it up because of I'm honestly not sure if "over stabilizing" with its effects on parabolic arch will be benificial to terminal performance of a hunting bullet around say 900y. What do you think?

You sure 1:9 is good for hunting? I'm going to assume that hunting ranges will be inside 600y but that is just an assumption. I'm omly bringing it up because of I'm honestly not sure if "over stabilizing" with its effects on parabolic arch will be benificial to terminal performance of a hunting bullet around say 900y. What do you think?

That depends on the bullet weight/design you're going to use as they have different twist rate recommendations.

- Hammer Bullets recommends the 214 1:9" or faster and the 227 1:8" or faster. I know Steve did a lot research/test on them and hopefully he'll chime in with your concern on over stabilization.

- Cutting Edge bullets 200 lazer tipped HP recommends 1:9" or faster.

- Sierra bullets 230 HPBT recommends 1:8" or faster

- Berger used to advertise their 230 OTM as 1:9" or faster. But now it's 1:10" minimum.

I have a 27" Lilja 1:9" 3G on my .30 LARA. So far so good but due to school, I haven't had a chance to explore in extreme ranges yet. :(

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.