Barrel stubs

Creekrat

I was wondering if any of y'all might have some leftover stubs that you wouldn't mind getting rid of so that I could practice threading and chambering on. My buddy does precision 22 target rifles and has one of the Grizzly lathes that he picked up for a song and dance and I'm looking to pick up an older south bend, clausing, hardinge, etc to play with and would like to practice on the real deal. I know I can thread pretty much anything, which is what i will start with, but after that point I'd like to do a setup and indicate, at best as i can with the stubs, in the stub and go through the entire chambering process.

Much appreciated,
Paul

A factory take off barrel is the best to use because you will need to learn to set the barrel up correctly in the lathe and deal with the contour, bore center line and any concentricity issues plus the materials commonly found in barrels. find a smith near you and ask him for a take off barrel and he should be happy to give you several.

J E CUSTOM

Avoid that gummy crap they sell at the box stores for practicing on. You'll waste lots of time turning out awful finishes. Both of the suggestions above are excellent. I wish I would have listened as that's the same advice i received starting out...but i didnt.
Not sure if you're planning to start on your buddies grizzly or wait till you get your own, but my grizzly I have to leave the half nut engaged and just reverse the motor after taking a cut, if I try to go off the thread dial it will shift on me .005-.010. I can thread just fine on my other lathe using the thread dial but not on the grizzly...so it takes just a bit longer, but I'm only working for myself so no big deal.

Just by a non contoured barrel blank, then your learning feeds and speed on the right material and you practice with rifling in the barrel so you get a feel for the real deal, it's money well spent and will speed up your learning curve.

@bigngreen, I hadn't thought about that and not being contoured I should be able to thread and chamber it several times. Do one and then just part it off and start over
If you have the money, but the scrap yard has no shortage of steel for pennies on the dollar compared to buying a barrel

Sarco often has really cheap, no name barrel blanks, and contoured blanks.....My plan is to buy some if those when I'm ready to practice!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.