dead center or stub?

spladi

I have done this both ways but am thinking one might be better than another and I do have reasons of my own but I would appreciate any input to help me to decide on which is best. The dilemma is weather to use a dead center in the headstock or to turn a nub and use the 4 jaw to drive the muzzle end while chambering in the steady rest. Thanks!

When I used to chamber in the steady...
Breech end in 4-jaw, dialed in barrel OD. Muzzle end in live center, make a truing cut for about an inch at the end to get OD concentric with the bore. Truing cut is pretty deep- enough to make a decent shoulder.
Flip end over end, muzzle in a collet or set-tru.
You'd need a truing cut on the muzzle long enough to get your indicator on it outside the chuck jaws, but then you'd be able to dial it in. The downside to doing it with the 4-jaw and not a set-tru or collet- is that you won't have a shoulder to seat against the chuck jaws or collet face. This prevents cutting forces from pressing the barrel further into the jaws which will ruin your day.

Dead center in the headstock is fine- but requires the additional step of securing the dog to the faceplate, which I always found to be a big PITA. Once the steady is set, and the tailstock is removed there's nothing to stop the barrel from sliding forward if you don't.

When I used to chamber in the steady...
Breech end in 4-jaw, dialed in barrel OD. Muzzle end in live center, make a truing cut for about an inch at the end to get OD concentric with the bore. Truing cut is pretty deep- enough to make a decent shoulder.
Flip end over end, muzzle in a collet or set-tru.
You'd need a truing cut on the muzzle long enough to get your indicator on it outside the chuck jaws, but then you'd be able to dial it in. The downside to doing it with the 4-jaw and not a set-tru or collet- is that you won't have a shoulder to seat against the chuck jaws or collet face. This prevents cutting forces from pressing the barrel further into the jaws which will ruin your day.

Dead center in the headstock is fine- but requires the additional step of securing the dog to the faceplate, which I always found to be a big PITA. Once the steady is set, and the tailstock is removed there's nothing to stop the barrel from sliding forward if you don't.
Thanks Mr. tobnpr , A note on attaching the dog to the F P. that prevents the movement towards the T S end of lathe. Install F P about 1.5 turns shy of full on (threaded spindle nose) tie dog and FP together tightly (dog on barrel and barrel on dead center) with heavy boot shoelace, turn faceplate the 1.5 turns to full on. It's a push pull tightening process.