Rebarrel thompson center compass

In spite of my best judgment, I bought an oryx chassis on Black Friday. It may have made a very slight accuracy improvement. The pencil barrel looks absurd in the channel. And the brake I installed looks even sillier. But no arguing that the dang rifle shoots.
I did have a problem with the trigger in the new stock. Some additional friction caused added pull weight and difficulty resetting. I reinstalled the action more carefully and the problem disappeared. Hopefully for good.
I also installed a $60 aftermarket bolt handle that makes it easier to run the bolt in the chassis. Not sure how I feel about that.
so much for my $200 rifle.

Thanks for the info guys. Back to the original question, has anyone rebarreled one? I have some extra barrels laying around

I have a TCA Compass in 6.5 CM that shoots <.5 MOA at 200 yards with factory ammo. No hands on experience in re-barreling at the moment but I say go for it. They used to say the same with Savage actions. It is not for everybody but it is the most DIY friendly.

I can't remember his name but he has similar machine set-up capabilities as you. A few years ago he significantly improved 4 Remington's budget entry rifles (770, 783??). He was told the same thing but he was curious and determined, it paid off for him. Hopefully, he or some one with better memory than I do chimes in.

Good luck.

Got up at 3am and went out to the shop. Barrel was super easy to take off. Had some brown greasy stuff in there. Surprised how short the tenon is but the good news is it's a 1.060"-16 like a rem 700. I have two barrels I'll use on it (switch barrel style). 6.5 Creedmoor KLR and 7-08ai. I think I'll add a rem style recoil lug instead of theirs. Just need to find a good deal on an oryx chassis. Keep you guys updated

724C8E7D-9826-4F86-B421-E3322DE56142.jpeg
9DD085C1-E2FF-4AA5-9FEF-9A5253219C98.jpeg

T/C barrels are some of the better quality mass produced button barrels made. The T/C Contender and Encore platforms are historically accurate and shoot pretty good. I remember my first T/C Contender and my second Contender. Both shot really really well. One of my friends had a high dollar Cooper. My $500 T/C out shot his $2500 Cooper.

The barrel making capability of T/C is why S&W bought out T/C. Not sure I'd want to remove the T/C barrel just to put a Remington take off on it that might not be as good.

The compass doesn't have a ton of cartridge options, which is why I mention takeoff barrels. You're right about their barrels shooting great. It's more fun for me to chamber my own though so I can choose contour etc. My goal is a switch barrel chassis style, so the oem barrel looks funny :)

Today I squared up the face on the action and added a rem style recoil lug. From face of recoil lug to front of lugs was .892", so I cut the tenon to .884". Then chambered a #5 contour 1-8 twist 25" 7-08ai fluted stainless select barrel. Pic is all roughed up. Still need to finish machining the muzzle brake and cerakote the action and barrels when all 3 are chambered up.
67B081FE-0B78-457C-8CC3-72122C29FB74.jpeg

Ordered an oryx chassis today. It should be here by end of the week along with a 20moa rail. I "should" have all 3 barrels made up and everything cerakoted. Testing next week for each barrel to see group size and poi change between the 3 cartridges. Still deciding between which cartridges to go with
7-08ai is done, 308 is next
6.5 cm KLR?
6.5 cm?
6.5-47 lapua?

Chassis came in yesterday. Threw it on the mill and cut out an area for the remington style recoil lug. I'll bed the recoil lug and leave the rest of the chassis free from bedding for now. Seems pretty stiff. I have a badger bipod rail for it. Post pics when it's together. Still haven't cerakoted the action and barrels, so don't laugh at how ugly it will be :)

I have been following with interest..So I gather a remage barrel with nut will spin right on??
Inquiring minds want to know.. :)

Piqued my interest. I have one in .308 and 7-08 and as others have mentioned, these cheap little rifles shoot lights out. Interested in your results. Installing a better recoil lug alone is a big improvement.

Here it is prior to cerakote. The 308 barrel is on and the 7-08ai is below. Still deciding on what other barrels to add. Probably 6.5cm or 260. Heck, maybe a single feed 280ai....
CB61A848-91F0-45F1-88B0-5F653F71B876.jpeg

edit: I know the 4 port is a little overkill for a 308 ;)

Last edited:

Recent Posts