Barrel Question

floyd kittrell

I am chasing the lands on my Warbird ,it has throat erosion . I do not mind shooting it as a single shot . Is it practical to have it throated to smooth the lands to some degree run the bullets out to get more barrel life or is this nonsense , a waste of time , money and effort ? If it is wasted effort I will have it re-barreled next year .
Thank you in advance Sirs , Floyd

I am chasing the lands on my Warbird ,it has throat erosion . I do not mind shooting it as a single shot . Is it practical to have it throated to smooth the lands to some degree run the bullets out to get more barrel life or is this nonsense , a waste of time , money and effort ? If it is wasted effort I will have it re-barreled next year .
It depends on "how far" you have to chase them, IMO. If you still have sufficient bullet body in the neck, and you dont mind single feeding, it probably is worth it.

How does it shoot if it shoots good enough for you keep going anything you do to smooth out the throat is just accelerating the wear that is already happening

If you have a chronograph, instead of chasing the lands, you note the velocity when you started with a good known load, then as throat wear is evident and velocity drops, you simply increase powder until the known velocity is reached again.
I do this with my comp barrels. Once velocity is no longer able to increase, I then cut one thread and re-chamber. This does not always give fresh metal, but it does increase barrel life than if it wasn't done.
My barrels are normally toast after the fourth setback and re-chamber. 2here I shoot until the barrel gives up the ghost.

Cheers.

7.82 Warbird is a real firebreather. It is not just the throat you need to be inspecting. If the bore has a lot of fire cracking down the first 25%+, I would personally plan on rebarreling rather than just cutting it back, rethreading and rechambering it. If you have 700-900+ down it, might as well spend another $350-800 and just buy a new barrel and start fresh. If you need a smith to do the work, you will be paying for all the same labor anyway.

How does it shoot if it shoots good enough for you keep going anything you do to smooth out the throat is just accelerating the wear that is already happening
Thank you , Sirs , all responses have been noted and welcomed ! I will respond with more info after I finish my rush quotes I am presently working . If there is more thoughts or advice please send to me .

Thanks to all again , it is appreciated .

Floyd

If you have a chronograph, instead of chasing the lands, you note the velocity when you started with a good known load, then as throat wear is evident and velocity drops, you simply increase powder until the known velocity is reached again.
I do this with my comp barrels. Once velocity is no longer able to increase, I then cut one thread and re-chamber. This does not always give fresh metal, but it does increase barrel life than if it wasn't done.
My barrels are normally toast after the fourth setback and re-chamber. 2here I shoot until the barrel gives up the ghost.

Cheers.
I'm with Magnums take on it. I had a seven mag, that I shot the throat out of. First, I seated bullets out farther, and added .5 grain of powder, problem solved. Later, the issue arose again, had chamber recut, set back, and it shot better then when new. I attribute this to tighter spec on reamer.
Another friend of mine, simply rechambered to 7stw. You may not have that or, similar as an option. It all depends on the condition on the remainder of the rifling!
2 cents!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.