Barrel question

feelinducky

I have just started with a Remington XCR 270WSM. Factory barrel. As I was cleaning it for the first time I noticed a "burr" in the end of the barrel. My smith bore scoped it and confirmed there was something there a scratch in the grooves about 3-4 inches from the muzzle. As I push a cleaning rod through the bore, as I get towards the muzzle it feels as if the barrel loosens up then tightens back down. I can feel the rough surface of the "burr" with the patch. I took it to the range to shoot it this weekend but was only able to get 3 shots through it because I was cleaning between each shot. It seems like it takes forever to get this thing clean. I'm using RL 22 with 140g accubonds. Not alot of copper but a ton of powder residue. My questions are.
1) Should I send it back to Remington now and have them look at it?
2) Shoot it and see how it shoots?
3) JB Bore Paste it?
4) If I send it to Remington what are the chances that they actually do something about it?
5) Why does it feel as if it opens up toward the end of the barrel?

All opinions are welcome. I know I'll hear scrap the barrel but that is the last resort.

Thanks for the help.

I'd go with option #2. Shoot it and see how it shoots but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time and money trying to MAKE it shoot well if it doesn't right out of the box. At that point I would get with one of the MANY excellent smiths on this forum and have them rebarrel it for you with a good aftermarket barrel.

A custom barrel, IMO, is a win win. Not only do you get a MUCH higher quality barrel that will most likely shoot everything well but you also get a chamber that is cut MUCH better than the factory chamber which also lends itself to a better shooting rifle.

IMHO, unless it shoots well out of the box, sell the factory barrel and put a good custom barrel on.

If a new rifle has barrel defects like you mentioned and has been verified by your smith, I would be demanding a new barrel be put on it for free by Remington. Then if that doesn't shoot like you want it, you might think seriously of a rebarrel. Who would buy that defective barrel and why would a person even think about selling it to someone else as was mentioned in the previous post?

Thanks for the replies. I went to the Remington website and there is an authorized gunsmith 5 minutes from my office. I'll take it over there and see what they say about it.

Re: Barrel question UPDATE!!!!!!

I received notice from the gunsmith that the chamber was cut too short. He did notice the scratch in the groove of the barrel and will make note of it. He can not do the "trinite" finish on the barrel so he has to send it back to Remington.

Sounds like a 'happy ending'.

Let us know what remington does to rectify the situation and how it shoots when you get it back.

As Yogi said: "It ain't over til it's over!". I hope the OP will let us know what the final outcome is.
You've got that right. Rem screwed me on a lefty 7rum with a bad barrel many moons ago. The chamber was cut so big in the back it actually unzipped two sizing dies. I couldn't believe they wouldn't stand behind it, but oh, well. I've gotten into other cals. that don't burn barrels as bad. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is to keep the rifle and re-barrel it, as lh stainless are hard to find at times.

Rem replaced my whole gun (minus the $3 stock) a few months ago when I sent it back for copper fouling. 4 weeks total time, door to door.

WB---Could you please expand on the reason for sending it in for that and why the whole gun needed to be replaced like you stated they did.

Wapiti, that is interesting because the gunsmith said that Remington has been replacing the whole gun lately.

feelinglucky, i think that was a good move on your part to have authorized dealer check it out for you. sending it back may take a little time but the problem should be resolved when you get the rifle back.
good luck and hope it works out well for you. :)

Gunner, my original stw fouled so bad that it took 2 hours to get the copper out. I finally resorted to JB bore cleaner (the white/blue container) and even then it was still almost 2 hours to get it clean. Copper solvent just shined up the copper. I called Remington and the first thing asked was "what ammo?", when I replied "Remington" she came back with details on returning it to a service center. I called the center, explained what was going on and the guy said the barrel was garbage, he couldn't replace it, and to call remington back, telling them I wanted "factory repair only" and send it to them directly, which i did. Rem then re emailed the free shipping labels and off It went.
Remington took 2 weeks, replaced everything but the stock and said in their report the rifling was missing and damaged. They also fired it 40 times in their "gallery" before sending it back to me. I believe they returned my stock to me because I had used it to practice pillar bedding and they saw that work and didn't want to upset me in case I was "fond" of my handiwork.
The bolt has to be replaced with the barrel as they are number matched.
The new barrel cleans easier but has been a bich to get dialed in. 180 bergers are the only thing it will shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.