?????Barrel Length for .300 Tomahawk

Darryl Cassel

At 2800 FPS and using the 240 Gr Match king with a BC of .711 you will have a remaining velocity of 1647 FPS and 1446 FPs of energy left at 1000 yards. Certainly enough to kill a deer or elk at that range.

Darryl Cassel

Jon A

I think the limit of length depends largely on what type of rifle it's going to be (heavy pure bench rifle, a carry rifle, etc?). What do you have in mind?

While I haven't gotten to play with my RUM yet, here are some figures to ponder:

Saeed at the other board got a max of 2986 out of the 240 MK with a 26" RUM with numerous accurate loads over 2800.

The Barnes manual lists 2775 with their 250 RN from a 24" tube.

These are from the RUM case, not the improved version, mind you. I would think that even with a 26" barrel, you shouldn't have a problem finding an accurate load over 3000 with the Tomahawk.

Of course I haven't tried it yet, so the above is just speculation on my part....
wink.gif

But I sure hope I'm right...I'm expecting at least 2900 from my 26" RUM with that bullet and hoping for better. I guess this summer I'll find out for sure....

Thanks Darryl and Jon,

Saeed's is exactly where I got my 2,800 velocity number to see what it would get me.

I want a purely "man portable" rifle and would probably never get near 1,000 with it, but would like to have the ability if the need arose and would like to begin with a platform to learn the tricks of the trade(my main interest)

Mike