?????Barrel Length for .300 Tomahawk

At 2800 FPS and using the 240 Gr Match king with a BC of .711 you will have a remaining velocity of 1647 FPS and 1446 FPs of energy left at 1000 yards. Certainly enough to kill a deer or elk at that range.

Darryl Cassel

I think the limit of length depends largely on what type of rifle it's going to be (heavy pure bench rifle, a carry rifle, etc?). What do you have in mind?

While I haven't gotten to play with my RUM yet, here are some figures to ponder:

Saeed at the other board got a max of 2986 out of the 240 MK with a 26" RUM with numerous accurate loads over 2800.

The Barnes manual lists 2775 with their 250 RN from a 24" tube.

These are from the RUM case, not the improved version, mind you. I would think that even with a 26" barrel, you shouldn't have a problem finding an accurate load over 3000 with the Tomahawk.

Of course I haven't tried it yet, so the above is just speculation on my part....
wink.gif

But I sure hope I'm right...I'm expecting at least 2900 from my 26" RUM with that bullet and hoping for better. I guess this summer I'll find out for sure....

Thanks Darryl and Jon,

Saeed's is exactly where I got my 2,800 velocity number to see what it would get me.

I want a purely "man portable" rifle and would probably never get near 1,000 with it, but would like to have the ability if the need arose and would like to begin with a platform to learn the tricks of the trade(my main interest)

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.