Barrel cleaning/Anyone seen this?

Greyfox

I was using Montana Blend cleaning solvent which I usually use. After some brushing and swabbing the patches were coming out clean, with no signs copper while looking down the bore at the end of the barrel(not scoped). I then decided to try some Montana Blend Copper Cream. The patch came out heavy black, not blue. I was surprised that at no time while finishing the job was the patch. blue. Ultimately, after wiping out the barrel and finishing off with bore conditioning solvent. it looks like the barrel is clean. Has anyone seen this heavy black residue when using the copper cream. With all my other copper solvents I see a blue residue.

Yes, I've seen this also. I was using Iosso Bore Paste at the time and couldn't figure out what the black residue was. As an experiment I took some paste and a clean cloth and rubbed it on a clean piece of metal. The cloth turned black just like my patches did. I concluded that the paste was actually removing a small amount of metal from the bore.

Yes, I've seen this also. I was using Iosso Bore Paste at the time and couldn't figure out what the black residue was. As an experiment I took some paste and a clean cloth and rubbed it on a clean piece of metal. The cloth turned black just like my patches did. I concluded that the paste was actually removing a small amount of metal from the bore.

Thanks, I suspected that that might be occurring. I probably won't use it again.

Good to know! If~n I live long enough to get another NEW barrel this might be the trick if it needs to be cleaned out a little.
Iosso Bore Paste
Thanks, every cloud has some kinda lining!:cool:

That black stuff ain't steel from the bore. Barrel steel's silver colored. That stuff was probably powder fouling or degraded bore cleaner.

I've used three or four bore cleaners that ended up leaving the patch blackened by the process. All the barrel makers I asked about that said it was either powder fouling or bore cleaner discolored by use and reaction with stuff in the bore, but not the steel.

That black stuff ain't steel from the bore. Barrel steel's silver colored. That stuff was probably powder fouling or degraded bore cleaner.

I've used three or four bore cleaners that ended up leaving the patch blackened by the process. All the barrel makers I asked about that said it was either powder fouling or bore cleaner discolored by use and reaction with stuff in the bore, but not the steel.

I didn't believe it either until I tried the experiment. Try this yourself. Take a rifle, pistol or shotgun that you know has a 100% clean bore. Run everything you have through it until you're 100% satisfied that it's clean. Then run some Iosso Bore Paste through it and see what happens. Better yet, use this process to win a $10 bet from your brother-in-law.

I think Bart's right. I've also seen the same deal with moly coated bullets in my Remington (only thing I've ever shot moly coated bullets in). Plus I like to neck size with powdered graphite, and will get the same black patches. ISO paste will make the patches turn black as well. Why I don't know.
gary

Its most likely an oxidation issue or chemical change that is turning the patch black. It is most likely a reaction of the paste with an oil left in the barrel.

I didn't believe it either until I tried the experiment. Try this yourself. Take a rifle, pistol or shotgun that you know has a 100% clean bore. Run everything you have through it until you're 100% satisfied that it's clean. Then run some Iosso Bore Paste through it and see what happens. Better yet, use this process to win a $10 bet from your brother-in-law.

I used ISSO paste for several years, and agree with everybody about the patches turning black. On the otherhand, I doubt that it's removed metal. Just dosn't seem right, but it maybe the results of a chemical reaction. A really good test would be to take a piece of extremely hard steel (like a lathe tool bit), and try the same test. Then if it still comes out black, I'd try it on a ceramic tool insert. Bet it still comes out black. You could also do the test on a piece of clear glass that you know is clean.
gary

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.