new barrel. have you ever seen this

• Thread starter Deleted member 109523
  • Start date
This is a vanguard II in a 257 WBY. It's been in the safe for 3 years, never been fired. Was gonna use the action for something else. Recently I've decided ( after reading a thread on hear about shooting 90 gr hammers at 4000+) I decided to bed, float, buy brass, bullets, Varget, and H4350. Should have looked down the barrel first. This is towards the end and about the half way mark. It almost looks like it can be punched off the surface, but what do I know. I've scrubbed it pretty good for a while now. Was wondering if the experts here have any advice. ThanksView attachment 365139View attachment 365140
I agree with others shoot it and see if it will group. I have fire-lapped with the Tubbs stuff some barrels would group inconsistently, had groups tighten up. After I got a bore-scope could see the barrel imperfections tooling marks get smoothed out, by fire-lapping, rifle seemed to group better, but then again could be the shooter just being more confident with a rifle setup. But you could visibly see the improvement in the barrel visually. Have fun always a fun experience when you get a good result out of something that appears it might be a lemon, and have some lemonade for a result.

Was you safe protected with a dissicant cannister during this time period?
yes it is.
Bore scopes should be illegal. They make too many people believe there is a problem, when no problem exists. Just shoot it. It's likely to shoot half minute or better.

If you borescope a barrel, and there isn't a raccon nested in it, just shoot it. Those pictures mean nothing.
This is funny. Because the first time you look down a barrel with the teslong, it looked like nails on a chalk board. But I'm not afraid of it anymore. I'm basically looking to see how much copper it takes on with the first shots, looking for carbon rings, or to check and chart down a proper trim length. Never seen this kinda stuff before in any of my other barrels.

I'll see what Weatherby says. I wouldn't mind a new barrel. If not, I'll shoot it. Just thought it would be fun, cool, cheap, back seat gun.

can you link the article about the "90 gr hammers at 4000+". I want to try that out of my 257.

Weatherby told me to shoot it and see. Then go from there.
I own or have owned a dozen or more vanguards, and I love them. I've never owned one that didn't shoot as well as my ability would allow. I have one sitting in my safe that I rebarreled to a fast twist 270bee, one at a Smith getting a new heavy 300wsm barrel with a 1-8 twist, and my buddy @338 dude just took one to his Smith to have a cf takeoff installed. None of them were swapped for accuracy issues, just wanted faster twists or a cf barrel. If we were all ruled by practicality, the weatherby vanguard would be the only rifle in production.

Skinny barrel Vanguard Sub MoA 300WM. A friend shot this at 500 yards with MK248 Mod0. Only mod was bed the action, and with a MicroB G3 9/16x24.

IMG_4207.jpg

I own or have owned a dozen or more vanguards, and I love them. I've never owned one that didn't shoot as well as my ability would allow. I have one sitting in my safe that I rebarreled to a fast twist 270bee, one at a Smith getting a new heavy 300wsm barrel with a 1-8 twist, and my buddy @338 dude just took one to his Smith to have a cf takeoff installed. None of them were swapped for accuracy issues, just wanted faster twists or a cf barrel. If we were all ruled by practicality, the weatherby vanguard would be the only rifle in production.
feel the same way. I have a few along with two howa 1500's. They do have a lot of features for a lower budget rifle. I bought this 3 years ago, to put another barrel on it
I figure with what I'm doing, I'll smoke this barrel with 2 to 3 lbs of powder

feel the same way. I have a few along with two howa 1500's. They do have a lot of features for a lower budget rifle. I bought this 3 years ago, to put another barrel on it
I figure with what I'm doing, I'll smoke this barrel with 2 to 3 lbs of powder
I skipped page 2 and 3.
My first thought was the barrel has a short life running >4000fps but sounds like fun.

Sounds like a flat shooting Coyote gun. Being a Vanguard the new barrel might outweigh the buy price so shoot this factory barrel out while you assemble the goods for the next build.

Bore scopes should be illegal. They make too many people believe there is a problem, when no problem exists. Just shoot it. It's likely to shoot half minute or better.

If you borescope a barrel, and there isn't a raccon nested in it, just shoot it. Those pictures mean nothing.

2 things.

This is why I refuse to buy a bore scope

and

2 Thanks for a sig quote lol

..that'll be minor compared to all that powder being burnt in a .257 Dia bore, it'll be fine and what the heck it's paid for so let a few hundred rip and see what happens...might be surprised !