new barrel. have you ever seen this

• Thread starter Deleted member 109523
  • Start date
I had a 1980 Ruger tang safety that had a similar issue.It was probably one of the Wilson barrel that were known to have some accuracy issues.This barrel had several voids in the barrel and even in the chamber.It was just bad steel throughout the intire barrel.It was pitted all the way around the inside of the barrel about a half inch down the barrel from where the cartridge was chambered.It would play havoc on the jacket of the bullet and it would load up with copper everytime it was shot.It wouldn't shoot much better than a two inch group.I got tired of wasting ammo and ended up putting a new barrel on it.I wouldn't shoot it.I'd contact Weatherby and see what they say.

I'm sorry to say, but bore scopes in the hands of the untrained is the manufacturer's and shooting enthusiast's worst nightmare. I spent a week in the U.S. Navy's Gun Barrel Inspection School and another year working as an apprentice before I received certification to inspect naval gun barrels on my own. I've done inspections on match grade small arms barrel all the way through 16"/50cal battleship barrels and not one of those barrels were flawless, even when new. Manufacturing marks, fatigue cracks, pitting, scaling, metal transfer, heat checking, crazing, flame washing, copper fouling, and many other conditions were taught and tested in school and during apprenticeship before we were unleashed on the fleet to inspect barrels and be put into a position to condemn a barrel as unsafe. Unless you're buying hand lapped match grade barrels you'll never get a pristine barrel with absolutely no flaws, and even than the match barrel have manufacturing flaws that are deemed acceptable. If you feel that the barrel in unsafe, please send it back to the manufacturer.

From a metalurgical point of view, it looks like there was a flaw in the steel before the barrel was made. My first degree in manufacturing engineering tells me that is not uncommon. If that flaw was near the chamber I would question the safety of the barrel, as it APPEARS the steel is not uniform, which may mean it is brittle or otherwise weaker than it should be.

There are only two questions that really mater: will it affect the barrel's performance and will you be satisfied having a barrel that has a flaw that may not affect function.

If it was mine, and it was something a manufacturer might replace, I would want it replaced — but I'm a perfectionist.

Here is some pictures I took of my barrel before I got rid of it.You can see how the copper loaded up just after a couple of rounds.
ruger 338 2.jpg
ruger 338.jpg
ruger 338 6.jpg
ru6.jpg

This is a vanguard II in a 257 WBY. It's been in the safe for 3 years, never been fired. Was gonna use the action for something else. Recently I've decided ( after reading a thread on hear about shooting 90 gr hammers at 4000+) I decided to bed, float, buy brass, bullets, Varget, and H4350. Should have looked down the barrel first. This is towards the end and about the half way mark. It almost looks like it can be punched off the surface, but what do I know. I've scrubbed it pretty good for a while now. Was wondering if the experts here have any advice. ThanksView attachment 365139View attachment 365140
Appears it could be lead which used to lap the barrels during the manufacturing process. I would clean as normal and proceed to shoot.

Here is some pictures I took of my barrel before I got rid of it.You can see how the copper loaded up just after a couple of rounds.
Did it still shoot well for the shots before it got loaded up? Having to clean a bore every couple of rounds would be a deal breaker for me even if those couple of rounds shot perfect.

When i have a gun that sat in the safe for a while without being shot I feel like I have let it down. Its a nightmare when you get a few and you love them. My 7mmRM gets the least action because i have 257 sand 300wbys I love shooting. You've made me realise that 7 needs a trip out real soon.

Did it still shoot well for the shots before it got loaded up? Having to clean a bore every couple of rounds would be a deal breaker for me even if those couple of rounds shot perfect.
Never shot better than 2".This was farther down the barrel after three rounds.
ru8.jpg
ru3.jpg
ru4.jpg

About 2 years ago I got a Vangard 300Wby who's barrel looked just like that except worse and from breech to muzzle. After 3 rounds, the pits and shards really stood out like in Baldhunters pictures of pitting. I kept shooting, knowing it may end up a donor action.

At first it didnt shoot bad, but the bore quickly got worse. Metal shards continued to peel off the bore. Even though I found 2 bullets it would shoot, it was a 3 shots and clean for 3 days barrel and getting worse with every trip to the range.

It now wears a CarbonSix 300PRC barrel that looks like a mirror from stem to stern and threatens to be a sub 1/4 minute barrel with less than 50 rounds down the pipe.

Steve

I'd send Weatherby pictures and follow their recommendation. I think once you shoot it all bets are off and Weatherby liable to say you did something that caused it.

Bore scopes should be illegal. They make too many people believe there is a problem, when no problem exists. Just shoot it. It's likely to shoot half minute or better.

If you borescope a barrel, and there isn't a raccon nested in it, just shoot it. Those pictures mean nothing.

I asked John H, owner of WOA, if he uses his borescope. He said, yes only on customer barrel if requested. Not on his own barrels, though being one of the top service rifle shooters in the country. When his X count drops at 600, he will re-barrel.