new barrel. have you ever seen this

• Thread starter Deleted member 109523
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109523

This is a vanguard II in a 257 WBY. It's been in the safe for 3 years, never been fired. Was gonna use the action for something else. Recently I've decided ( after reading a thread on hear about shooting 90 gr hammers at 4000+) I decided to bed, float, buy brass, bullets, Varget, and H4350. Should have looked down the barrel first. This is towards the end and about the half way mark. It almost looks like it can be punched off the surface, but what do I know. I've scrubbed it pretty good for a while now. Was wondering if the experts here have any advice. Thanks
WIN_20220511_14_22_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220511_14_19_55_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My concern is if it was some kind of metal build up, it would scratch it beyond repair if I shot it. I'll send the pics to Weatherby. Thanks

Bore scopes should be illegal. They make too many people believe there is a problem, when no problem exists. Just shoot it. It's likely to shoot half minute or better.

If you borescope a barrel, and there isn't a raccon nested in it, just shoot it. Those pictures mean nothing.

I agree. with the teslong scope it makes a minor scratch look like the grand canyon. but I've only scoped match barrels with it, and they've never had anything like that. So ya it looks bad to me

I've bought two Bergaras that had rust and pitting in the barrels out of the box.... problem is that they both shot one-hole groups with my loads. They both had similar scaling like what you're seeing inside the bores.

Stainless steel bore brush, Sweets 7.62, VFG pellets with Kroil and JB, I scrubbed the heck out of them and the scaling went away. The rifles don't shoot any worse after the aggressive cleaning. I'd prefer my barrels not have rust pits and nastiness in them, but until these barrels stops shooting why worry about it? Cleaning method was recommended by the manufacturer, I was nervous about it but they came through fine.

I scope my bores with a Teslong hooked up to my laptop so I save the pics and videos with the date on them. I scope barrels when they're new, before and after cleaning to see the change, and randomly along to way to build a record of what the bore looks like. If something ever goes bad with the gun I'll scope it again and look for what changed. When the barrel gets to the end of it's life I'll scope it one last time.

I don't know another way to figure out what does and doesn't matter when scoping a bore other than doing it a lot and waiting for the rifle to start shooting poorly. Until I know what matters I'll keep doing it and building a record.

This doesn't mean I'm not still mad at Bergara over the rust - I've seen smiths pull barrel blanks out of cabinets that have been sitting there for months in the heat and humidity without a spec of rust in them. Bergara should be able to package a complete rifle in a way that they don't rust before they're sold.

Last edited:
I have a Bergara after cleaning with Boretech cleaner and did not put a patch of oil down the barrel. Several months later I noticed rust on the muzzle, looked down the barrel with a scope and rust spots all down it. Took some Kroils and JB and cleaned it out, still shoots .5 MOA. I never will buy another gun with a Chrome Moly barrel.

I've bought two Bergaras that had rust and pitting in the barrels out of the box.... problem is that they both shot one-hole groups with my loads. They both had similar scaling like what you're seeing inside the bores.

Stainless steel bore brush, Sweets 7.62, VFG pellets with Kroil and JB, I scrubbed the heck out of them and the scaling went away. The rifles don't shoot any worse after the aggressive cleaning. I'd prefer my barrels not have rust pits and nastiness in them, but until these barrels stops shooting why worry about it? Cleaning method was recommended by the manufacturer, I was nervous about it but they came through fine.

I scope my bores with a Teslong hooked up to my laptop so I save the pics and videos with the date on them. I scope barrels when they're new, before and after cleaning to see the change, and randomly along to way to build a record of what the bore looks like. If something ever goes bad with the gun I'll scope it again and look for what changed. When the barrel gets to the end of it's life I'll scope it one last time.

I don't know another way to figure out what does and doesn't matter when scoping a bore other than doing it a lot and waiting for the rifle to start shooting poorly. Until I know what matters I'll keep doing it and building a record.

This doesn't mean I'm not still mad at Bergara over the rust - I've seen smiths pull barrel blanks out of cabinets that have been sitting there for months in the heat and humidity without a spec of rust in them. Bergara should be able to package a complete rifle in a way that they don't rust before they're sold.
I always look down them when there new, to make sure nothing is major wrong with it. I'll shoot it. Thanks