new barrel. have you ever seen this

• Thread starter Deleted member 109523
  • Start date
I use my Teslong for everything except looking down barrels! Its really great looking into cases to check web separation. I looked into an old ADL 30-06 barrel that shoots lights out and WTHELLO was that in there? The chamber looked horrible! But yet shot 1/2 MOA all day!

Our perception of what a perfect chamber and bore "should" look like to shoot great is not always reality.

It may be good info if it doesn't shoot to send to mfg but shoot it first! More likely it is fine.

I have a 64 year old rifle I bought used, about 35 years ago. It had pitting when I bought it, hunted with it for 15 years, and it is still one of my my most accurate rifles. Like so many others said. Shoot it! You might be pleasuntly surprised!

I would run some of Tubb's Final Finish bullets down it.

I would run some of Tubb's Final Finish bullets down it.
I would not do this if you are considering sending it back.
I would give it the good ole college try and shoot it the way it is, before you do send it back

I bought a new 6.5 barrel from Bugholes and had them flute it. I chambered it without first looking down the barrel which I did after it was chambered. OMG! .050" after the throat one land was gone for .9". I mean not there like it had been sheared off. The manufacturer said send it in but I had a Hunter match in two weeks and decided to just shoot it. I shot 20 rounds with a load from a different Creed barrel and it shot 1" for those 20. I said "good enough" and took it to the match without any further load workup. At the end of day one I had my buddy shoot it. He proceeded to send seven rounds in the same hole at 100.

What I learned is the target matters as long as it copper fouling doesn't impact the accuracy too soon.

Bore scopes should be illegal. They make too many people believe there is a problem, when no problem exists. Just shoot it. It's likely to shoot half minute or better.

If you borescope a barrel, and there isn't a raccon nested in it, just shoot it. Those pictures mean nothing.
I needed that, I've got black birds nested in my soffit.... " Just shoot it " ✅

This is a vanguard II in a 257 WBY. It's been in the safe for 3 years, never been fired. Was gonna use the action for something else. Recently I've decided ( after reading a thread on hear about shooting 90 gr hammers at 4000+) I decided to bed, float, buy brass, bullets, Varget, and H4350. Should have looked down the barrel first. This is towards the end and about the half way mark. It almost looks like it can be punched off the surface, but what do I know. I've scrubbed it pretty good for a while now. Was wondering if the experts here have any advice. ThanksView attachment 365139View attachment 365140
Was you safe protected with a dissicant cannister during this time period?

I have a Savage that has (had) a very similar spot about 1.5" from the muzzle. After a coupe hindered shots its all but invisible now, rifle has always shot great. My assumption was that when a factory rifle is test fired it is not followed up with a cleaning, which is understandable. The residual copper and the barrel material create a dissimilar metals situation that leads to electrolysis with almost any available humidity. In the construction field I work in we see it all the time and I am always amazed at how quickly the degradation can begin.

I would not do this if you are considering sending it back.
I would give it the good ole college try and shoot it the way it is, before you do send it back
Don't know about Weatherby but if you run FF and FF TMS thru a Bartlein barrel it will void the warranty. I've used it on off the shelf barrels and works as advertised but I won't use it on a premium barrel.
Something to keep in mind.

I bought a Teslong based on recommendations from LRH. I learned a lot about what I thought was a thorough cleaning on my rifles. Apparently, I was not getting all the copper fouling out. Bores look a lot better now but I'm not sure they shoot any better. Great for spotting carbon rings and copper fouling as well as fire cracking. Certainly will make you OCD about your cleaning regimen.
I would shoot it and see how it does. If it is not good, Weatherby will handle it.

I have a 40 year ol Vanguard 300wm used as a truck gun, - sits in a rack next to me. Rarely cleaned. Visible pitting and rust. Tried some factory 215 Berger loads in it last year just for fun. 3" groups at 500 yards cold bore. I didnt bother using a teslong on it. Just keeping it just the way it is.

My favorite Elk gun (.25 MOA), with a new batch of reloads (Same Formula), shot 1.0 MOA and greater. Checked everything reshot same problem. I broke out the Bore Scope to check for a build up in the chamber and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. For reference, I chambered one of the unprepped, decapped rounds I just shot to locate and look at the area around the chamber at the end of the neck. As I was looking at this area I accidently went into the Brass and noticed a carbon build up at the shoulder transition. I have been reloading for 30 years and was unaware of carbon build in the brass. The rounds were reloaded about 5 times and vibrated with walnut shells in between each reload. After discussion with range buddies, I now Tumble with SS Nails as they described them and the next reload was back on track. I will now weight all brass when new to determine a base line and track the weights with every reload.