Barrel blewup

Interesting, guys are concerned about some words engraved on the barrel more than why the barrel blew up.

No wonder this Country is weak and pathetic lately... when hunters/shooters are butthurt about "bad" words on a rifle barrel.
No, this country is circling the drain because of people with no morals and low standards.

I would like to hear something about why the barrel split. I had a shotgun barrel explode at the breech over twenty years ago. A metallurgist who inspected the barrel had 11 or 12 of the same model that exploded in the same manner. The barrel was not blocked, but the action closed a little hard. I open the action and looked down both barrels and they were clear. The action closed ok after that. When I said pull and shot at the pigeon, things went very wrong. Speculation is fine, but proof is better.

Interesting, guys are concerned about some words engraved on the barrel more than why the barrel blew up.

No wonder this Country is weak and pathetic lately... when hunters/shooters are butthurt about "bad" words on a rifle barrel.
L🤣L! I am not concerned or offended by the engraving; my comment was purely on its entertainment value. The OP noted,
Barrel was shooting flawlessly until this. No one is sure what happened and barrel is being sent to barrel maker for analysis.
I am not going to speculate, but I am curious about what the finding is by the barrel manufacturer. Murphy does not discriminate; @swampbug is right ...
Always be safe when reloading and while shooting.

Apologies if this was mentioned earlier as I did not read all the posts. My first thought when I saw the picture was barrel obstruction. With the frequency that some of the competition shooters clean their barrels, I wondered if it was maybe a jag with patch attached that had come unscrewed from the cleaning rod and went unnoticed. I was cleaning a rifle yesterday and had the jag/patch come unthreaded as I was short stroking it down the bore. Whatever the cause, it must have been a massive explosion.

Steel can be faulty. Put a new ball joint in a 1/2 ton Chevy. I did it. It was done right.
Torqued correctly etc. About 6 months later the tapered bolt part snapped in half.
Just so thankful the boys and I were driving 20mph when it happened and it was on partial snow.
The wheel wedged up against the cab. Tackett said hey dad it you get the tire over on the edge of the road it will slide on the snow. So I drove it about half mile to a local mom and pop repair shop.

Hate to think what it may have looked like it if I was running 80 in traffic on an interstate when it broke.

Somewhere on youtube is a video by Eric Cortina. He went to the range and
things were way to hot. He called home and asked what the scale was set on.
It was set on way to hot! I was glad to see him post something like that. It is
a good reminder that no matter how long you have done it, or how good you are,
you can't be too careful.

Steel can be faulty. Put a new ball joint in a 1/2 ton Chevy. I did it. It was done right.
Torqued correctly etc. About 6 months later the tapered bolt part snapped in half.
Just so thankful the boys and I were driving 20mph when it happened and it was on partial snow.
The wheel wedged up against the cab. Tackett said hey dad it you get the tire over on the edge of the road it will slide on the snow. So I drove it about half mile to a local mom and pop repair shop.

Hate to think what it may have looked like it if I was running 80 in traffic on an interstate when it broke.
I agree. Things we least expect to fail can indeed surprise us. It does not happen often, but as they say "s&@$ happens". I experienced a prop shaft failure without any contact with anything but water. Running across the lake at approx 50 mph in a new bass boat. It was determined to be the result of a void in the steel shaft.

Recent Posts