Barrel blewup

What is it titled? I didn't find it.

No real conclusion yet;
"The owner of the rifle said that all rounds fired from the rifle made it to target and the score card and empty cases prove that. That rules out a barrel obstruction, or squib load. I just have a hard time imagining what else it could be. The rifle's owner said the bolt and action were fire and the brass was also split open similar to the barrel. Seems very strange. The barrel has over 1000 rounds on it, so you'd think any issues with the barrel would of shown light well beforehand."

index.php
The bullet made it to the target.

So heat treatment of the barrel may be the issue? Double stress relieved.

To much heat from firing? Magazine fed rifle action?
Each firing at 4500°F degrees & 1000 rounds fired needs looked at.
Rapid fire when conditions were right? The heat buildup on a hot 80 degree day may reach 1600F degrees on the barrel? It may fail?

Looks like it was 88F while shooting?

More so firing maching guns.

Last edited:
Facts presented:
1- So a 1.25" straight barrel with 1,000+ rounds splits like a ripe watermelon?
2- All bullets accounted for in target?
3- Brass split similarly?

Methinks the rest of the "story" yet to be told. But my first thought was under charged case detonation.

Under charged?
Not enough powder?
I thought it was too much is bad, less means less stress on the chamber and brass?
But I don't hand load, so am asking.
Thanks

Under charged?
Not enough powder?
I thought it was too much is bad, less means less stress on the chamber and brass?
But I don't hand load, so am asking.
Thanks
Low charges can rapidly rise pressure. For reduced velocity loads different powders are required. Any reloading manual will explain this. Should you at some point decide to venture into reloading please take the time to read all of the information. BTW too much is bad too. I'm not saying this to dissuade you at all, there are just a few basic things that need to be known and understood.

Double based powders, containing nitroglycerin, may detonate, under some conditions.

Another condition is when the primer output is high, moving the bullet into the rifling to soon. The bullet acts same as a plugged barrel. These conditions when applied are more likely to have problems. 1. Low neck tension/bullet hold. 2. Longer then normal COL. 3. Slow burn rate powders. 4. Large magnum cartridges. 5. Long free bore/bullet jump to rifling. . 6. Wrong primer.

The bolt may be hard to open from the 2nd pressure spike. Mostly lots of soot, if your lucky.

IMG_0563[1].jpg

Last edited: