Barrel blewup

No real conclusion yet;
"The owner of the rifle said that all rounds fired from the rifle made it to target and the score card and empty cases prove that. That rules out a barrel obstruction, or squib load. I just have a hard time imagining what else it could be. The rifle's owner said the bolt and action were fire and the brass was also split open similar to the barrel. Seems very strange. The barrel has over 1000 rounds on it, so you'd think any issues with the barrel would of shown light well beforehand."
It's amazing that the bullet (cartridge) that blew up the barrel hit the target.

Trying to remember another blown up barrel that waited 1000 rounds to manifest that had absolutely no obstruction. That decided to not vent and blow the base of the brass out, but instead took out a sizeable taper barrel.

My friend who was shooting at that match said there was no obstruction as well. Very strange.

Facts presented:
1- So a 1.25" straight barrel with 1,000+ rounds splits like a ripe watermelon?
2- All bullets accounted for in target?
3- Brass split similarly?

Methinks the rest of the "story" yet to be told. But my first thought was under charged case detonation.

It's amazing that the bullet (cartridge) that blew up the barrel hit the target.
I'm assuming all bullets accounted for on target means all but this one. which rules out something like a squib load but not a cleaning rod. There's no way that projectile made it to target.

According to all reports, the bullet did make it to target and scored a 10. For those who don't know, and assuming this was mid-range - 600 yards, the 10 ring is 6 inches across.
I assumed it would bleed off so much pressure that it would have lost a ton of velocity to take it off the target board. That being said it's easier to believe at 600 vs 1000 but even still.

That's unreal. The action did its job ..
I still want to know what action? And what cartridge?
Our weakness as a nation comes from our refusal to abide by the bedrock principles laid out in the instruction manual for life. Those that continue to advocate for moral compromise in every aspect of life. That's why we are weak.

Strong and wise men, don't use bad language. If there were ever more than just a few strong wise men around... more people would learn this from an early age, myself included, and we would cultivate a strong nation again. ...because it sure wasn't those that were cussing all the time that made us strong before.
I have quite a few wise quotes written down from over my years. Some from our forefathers, some from wise men I knew. Unless you object, I will add this to my collection.

We will never know the exact cause unless there were full disclosures. Doubt that will happen.
Millions of gun barrel blanks are subject to the same chance of a defect in the material and still never burst. Some do though and it is impressive.
"Latent defect" is what we referred to them as. "Normal" raw material inspection may not be enough to catch it and the price of those expensive inspections, no one is willing to pay for.

We will never know the exact cause unless there were full disclosures. Doubt that will happen.
Millions of gun barrel blanks are subject to the same chance of a defect in the material and still never burst. Some do though and it is impressive.
"Latent defect" is what we referred to them as. "Normal" raw material inspection may not be enough to catch it and the price of those expensive inspections, no one is willing to pay for.
I would say most guys load right up to the edge, 50-60k range. For some thing to happen like that split I guess pressures would be 100-200k range

Recent Posts