Barrel blewup

Unimaginable!

My first thought was what the bolt lugs looked like, which would be a hint at a possible problem. Overpressure from load, or failure from the foundry. The chamber expands during the firing sequence, looks like this expansion was extreme to say the least. The scope must have been damaged also.

Thankful that no one was hurt.

Too bad we did not get more details.

I was at the rifle range at Rio Salado Rifle range in Arizona when the whole top half of a Model 19 blew up along with half of the cylinder. The determined cause was metal fatigue.

One of the reasons I`ve been hesitant to consider getting into reloading. If there`s any way to screw it up, I`ll find it. It only takes one.
On the flip side, by shooting factory ammo you're trusting that someone you don't know cares enough about their job to not want that to happen to you. 😬 Never forget that you're just a statistic to their accountant.

I know I shouldn't but I'm going to say it anyway .... for a chunk of steel that size to shred like that, something was obstructing the barrel.
That was my first reaction also, that's not just overpressure, looks too much like when someone shoots a squib or cleaning rod.

This is (was) a barrel at the National F Open Championship in Phoenix.
Shooter is OK. Wind coach got hit in the finger by flying stock debris.
Barrel was shooting flawlessly until this. No one is sure what happened and barrel is being sent to barrel maker for analysis.
This is a 1.25 inch straight profile barrel.
Always be safe when reloading and while shooting.
What cartridge was it. Or did I miss that.

On the flip side, by shooting factory ammo you're trusting that someone you don't know cares enough about their job to not want that to happen to you. 😬 Never forget that you're just a statistic to their accountant.

That was my first reaction also, that's not just overpressure, looks too much like when someone shoots a squib or cleaning rod.
That`s quite true about shooting factory ammo. At least it`s being put together by folks who ostensibly know how to do it and do it all the time. Also, with a proven manufacturing problem , there`s the potential for legal recourse. Who do I sue if I blow myself up? As I`ve gotten older, my attention/concentration span has declined somewhat. I don`t think that and assembling things that can and do explode are simpatico!

These explosions seem to happen every few years and make the rounds around the internet.

Cannot remember one being from a barrel defect.

Usually it's an ammo mix up from a table being knocked over or a mix up in transit.

There was the 6 br in a 223 wssm, than the recent 30 06 in the 280.

There have been powder issues with hoppers or chambers of powder leftover in measure devices causing serious pressure spikes.

Accidents happen, to even very experienced gun guys.

Barrel was shooting flawlessly until this. No one is sure what happened and barrel is being sent to barrel maker for analysis.
If this was at a regular Range, I would has said maybe a "Squib" or "Wrong Bullet" or wrong Cartridge (shooting two different rifles on the same bench)
You would think that at a "F" Class Competition the shooter would have a Single Shot and Match Loaded Ammo. Would not expect a "Squib" BUT the shooter could have reloaded a cartridge with a larger bullet by mistake.

The engraving about sums it up.😂

If this was at a regular Range, I would has said maybe a "Squib" or "Wrong Bullet" or wrong Cartridge (shooting two different rifles on the same bench)
You would think that at a "F" Class Competition the shooter would have a Single Shot and Match Loaded Ammo. Would not expect a "Squib" BUT the shooter could have reloaded a cartridge with a larger bullet by mistake.
Who knows, but I'd bet on something like CST suggested. I know match shooters are meticulous and attention to detail is paramount in this game. But, I've also seen guys with hundreds of bullets laid out on benches sorting and so on. I'm not saying that is what happened, but I'd say it is a fair guess.

I've definitely caught myself sorting bullets and had some "other" bullet that was left on the self (left over from a throat measurement or some such) roll off and find its way on the bench. My saving grace was that I shoot mostly hunting bullets and its easier to spot differences with polymer tips, different color schemes and what not. A lot of match bullets, especially same diameter, could blend in pretty well.

Last edited: