Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is I cant wait for my win mag to get done at the smith so I can try out my 210 gr loads on some paper. of course I got the "match' bullets that say clearly on the pack my tube is a 1-10 twist and Berger "recommends" 1-11 or faster. Well see at 26 inches I don't see how it will have any issue stabilizing a 210 gr pill unles VLD's need a faster twist? Not to hi-jack but this is a thread worth being bumped. I also notice the two packs I got were slightly different shades of yellow is this done on purpose to distinguish between lots?

The 30 cal 210 gr VLD will shoot well in a 10" twist. The difference in yellow between the boxes is not deliberate. Check the lot number on the box. If the numbers are the same the bullets are too.

Regards,
Eric

of course I got the "match' bullets that say clearly on the pack my tube is a 1-10 twist and Berger "recommends" 1-11 or faster.

A 1:10 twist is faster than 1:11. You'll be fine with the 1:10 twist.

Joe0121,

There will be slight differences from lot to lot. The most common differences are in the OAL and the base to ogive measurement. This difference will be very small and should not influence performance but with all components you should confirm your tune when you switch lots.

Something to keep in mind is that we use one die and the same die for each bullet (until it wears out) so even though there are some slight differences from lot to lot the shape of the nose will be the same. This means that if you don't change your bullet seated die you will be in the same place in relation to the rifling since your plunger contacts the nose not the tip.

Having said this, it is always smart to double check your seating depth to confirm that it is the same with each new lot. We only change dies when they wear out so the vast majority of the lots will be the same but it is a good double check to confirm nothing has changed.

Eric

Joe0121,

There will be slight differences from lot to lot. The most common differences are in the OAL and the base to ogive measurement. This difference will be very small and should not influence performance but with all components you should confirm your tune when you switch lots.

Something to keep in mind is that we use one die and the same die for each bullet (until it wears out) so even though there are some slight differences from lot to lot the shape of the nose will be the same. This means that if you don't change your bullet seated die you will be in the same place in relation to the rifling since your plunger contacts the nose not the tip.

Having said this, it is always smart to double check your seating depth to confirm that it is the same with each new lot. We only change dies when they wear out so the vast majority of the lots will be the same but it is a good double check to confirm nothing has changed.

Eric
Heres an interesting question, do VLD bullets also exhibit less spin drift as a result of the high BC. I'm in college for IT and next term I take java programming and some advance mathematics. The android phone OS use java exclusivly so I might work on an android app for a ballistic calculator. I'm sure ill be e-mailing the tech support guy a lot. Maybe have a list of common targets/ animals with dimension where you can put in a mil/moa reading and get the rang then pull your load data and spit out the dope.

Joe 0121. Let me make a suggestion. Use the standing heights of animals for LRH not the 10" head height like the Army uses or the brisket height. That was great for shooting out to 300-400 yards. Also show both mil and MOA solutions...most of us deal with yards and inches.

Antelope 257 Weatherby 286 yards 80gr TTSX, one shot never got out of its bed, perfect expansion

Elk, huge 6X6 384 yards 300 wsm 180gr TSX, full expansion, Dead Elk

503# Black Bear 138 yards penetrated both shoulders found under hide on far side, perfect expansion, same 300wsm 180gr TSX

Same 300 TSX KY 200lb deer full length penetration, complete expansion found under hide after penetrating 4 feet of deer

So my experience with Barnes is Bang! Flop! DEAD! all size animals and same result.

i choose the barnes over the berger for the basic reason that i have had lost an elk on footage appeared to be a dubble lunge shot with a berger outa a 300 win mag. i found no blood whatso ever the shot was only 75 to 100 yards estamation not ranged. i spent the rest of that day trying to find him all i could find was a little hair on the ground where he had ben hit.
icon5.gif
icon9.gif
icon9.gif
icon8.gif

So this year i tried a 180 barnes TTSX and i happend to get a 150 yd shot on a 4by5 bull elk and when i shot i thought i had missed but when i looked for the bull and expeced it to be running away their was no sighn of him. So i started to walk to where i had last seen the bull and what i found was a dead elk laying right were he stood when the shot broke. come to find out i hit were i aimed right in the sholder the shot was a quartering shot. when i gutted it i found little meat damage to the sholder and liquified heart lungs and i couldnt find the liver eather
icon9.gif
the bullet continued its path through his pelvis and out of his well (but) nicest way i can put it the bullet was never recoverd so i know what bullet im always gona use from here on out:D

The same thing has happened to me and multiple people that live in my area.

Maybe the title of this thread needs changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.