Why are some fiber sights so much brighter than others?

engineer40

Hello everyone!

I have fiber sights on a couple pistols and a shotgun. They are all about the same level of brightness. I actually compared today outside.

But I recently ordered a set of fiber sights for a 1911 and it's easy to see these are WAY brighter than any of the sights I already owned. Which is good because I'm fairly sure the manufacturer states they produce the brightest fiber sights available. I don't think they were lying!

My question is, what makes these fiber sights so much brighter? Any ideas?

I'm curious if this company's fiber rod is actually different? Or maybe they have reflective surface under the fiber rod?

Seeing the difference in these new sights just really sparked my curiosity. It got me wondering if I could do anything to my existing fiber sights to make them brighter.

Thanks!

Fibre sights are made up of layers of various materials that vary in their flourescing characteristics. Depending on the material used and the amount of light and angle of light the sights will differ in their luminosity.

Thanks!

That makes it sound like if I find the correct diameter of fiber rod for some of my other sights, I could replace them with brighter fiber.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.