Barnes TTSX Performance on Elk (photos)

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but figured it would be better than starting a new one. I'm trying to pick which rifle I take in November, will be chasing Elk and Mule Deer and want one that will do both. I'm considering carrying a Mark V Accumark in 338-378 Wby loaded with Weatherby 225gr Barnes Triple Shoks. I've seen a few people on this thread remark that they've had good success with the 338 225gr TSX on elk but will I get the expansion needed on the thinner skinned mulies?

Kae006,

To answer your question, the answer is yes. I hunt pretty much exclusively with a 340 Wby and the 225 TTSX and have taken lots of axis deer with this load and always had great expansion. However, we limit our shots to 500 yards. If you plan to reach way out there to where you velocity drops down below 1700-1800, there are probably better bullets for that distance.

I'm glad you brought this to life. I have picked up a few boxes of ttsx's to run. I myself have never had the chance to hunt a elk but in 2019 my daughter brought down a 370 7x7 bull with her 7RM using my loads of 140g nosler bet's. Bull was 150yards and only went 3 steps, found the copper jacket on the opposite side under the skin

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but figured it would be better than starting a new one. I'm trying to pick which rifle I take in November, will be chasing Elk and Mule Deer and want one that will do both. I'm considering carrying a Mark V Accumark in 338-378 Wby loaded with Weatherby 225gr Barnes Triple Shoks. I've seen a few people on this thread remark that they've had good success with the 338 225gr TSX on elk but will I get the expansion needed on the thinner skinned mulies?
I believe Weatherby is also loading hammer bullets now. Another option for you if you're worried about expansion. If you don't reload that is.

I have only shot TTSX on cow elk, and only at close range. They hammered though. Both 30 cal, both basically 165gr, both shots were 60 yards or so. 1 was a 308 win at 2500fps, other was 300 weatherby at 3175fps. Both exited with a 2+ inch hole. Both were right behind the shoulder broadside.

308 went DRT, never took a step, the 300 weatherby went 50 years approximately.

I was rather impressed with the TTSX.

While a "wee bit" short of your velocities…..my wife uses them in her .338 WM on everything, from Pronghorns up through moose!

The only animal that ran off (about 50 yards) was a "Speed Goat" that she shot at a bit over 200 yards (ranged after the shot) with a very quick offhand shot. The hit was quite low in the "little pocket" behind the foreleg! There's not a lot of vitals there or much "goat" to promote expansion! Perhaps had she taken more time with the offhand shot, but he was about to go behind a ridge…..plus she didn't want me to get that nice "goat"! 😂 memtb

I have Barnes 180g ttsx shooting sub .50 moa out of my 300 Wby at 3,195 fps that I plan to use on a 5X hunt in new Mexico next month. I'll share my results if I'm successful.

The 7mm looks like just started to expand. I personallly want at least 2200 fps with tougher bullets not the min where a bullet may just start to expand. The 30 cal looks like it blew off the petals like one of the petal shedders. Can be very effective if in a vital area but as with any fragmenting design if the frag/wound is not in vitals I expect could be slow kill

Lou