Elk/Deer Rifle performance

Yes It is. I purchased mark V the rifle used but never fired and never scoped and was chambered in 30-06. I purchased a 300 Weatherby Mag barrel, from a customer who was Re barreling his Mark V to .340 Weatherby mag, to be used for elk. He had decided 300 Weatherby did not drop his last elk in its tracks, so he needed more gun. I bought the barrel. I had the 300 Weatherby Mag barrel installed on my Mark V . Bolt face was already correct Dia. mag na ported . Fun to shoot!!!
So I have Japanese Mark V, 24 inch, factory brake, Loves 200 Accubonds and Partitions with RL22. I either load 180's or 200's in my MKV 300 and only powders I ever tried were IMR 4350, IMR 7828sc and RL22.

Yes, I can with my 30-378 Weatherby MKV which surprises me. It is a heavier rifle at 10.5 lbs but the real reason is that the muzzle brake seems to be more efficient with 114 grains of powder. My 300 win Mag doesn't allow me back on target as quickly.
Howdy, I am rebarreling my 30-378 with a 9twt Bartlein 27" muzzle is .840 . Can I ask what muzzle brake you have. Thanks David

So I'm gonna build a 8lb mountain rifle. This has been a year of buying and selling barrels cause I keep changing my mind on caliber. I have a 300 rum that I have used the last 5 years and it's a great rifle but want to build something lighter. I have it stuck in my head that I need a big 30 cal for elk. Is the 30 cal king for elk in all aspects or will the 7 saum or 7 prc work just as good? I also think I need to have a rifle that shoots 3k fps or more. I have had this ocd on large magnums and speed for too long.

Does the mass with the 30 cal on a 225 eldm vs a 180 berger or eldm kill a lot faster than a 180 7mm? I would like to be able to spot my own shots also cause I do hunt solo a lot too. I did buy a new TI pro 5 for the rum to try.
This gun will be for longrange if need be.

I have the antiX in a LA mag boltface and a Mesa stock, it will have a hindged floor plate with a proof barrel 24"
Do you need more then 1200#'s of energy at 1000 yards, no. So before the 7prc I built a 7mag 8T. To shoot the 180 vld-h, at 2912-2944 fps depending on temps. Imo the 7prc might be the perfect hunting cartridge. For deer/elk.
pic is my 7mag. The pre fit OMR cf barrel shoots .3-.4 consistently. Am in the process of building a 33 Nosler for brown bear/bear country hunts, intermediate ranges, to shoot a 185 ttsx at ~3000 fps. I will use a OMR barrel again.

Attachments

• 20210129_224943.jpg
    20210129_224943.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 33
Do you need more then 1200#'s of energy at 1000 yards, no. So before the 7prc I built a 7mag 8T. To shoot the 180 vld-h, at 2912-2944 fps depending on temps. Imo the 7prc might be the perfect hunting cartridge. For deer/elk.
pic is my 7mag. The pre fit OMR cf barrel shoots .3-.4 consistently. Am in the process of building a 33 Nosler for brown bear/bear country hunts, intermediate ranges, to shoot a 185 ttsx at ~3000 fps. I will use a OMR barrel again.
Is that a benchmark carbon?

Is that a benchmark carbon?
IDK really. OMR(Oregon MTN Rifle) uses somebody's button pulled barrel, turns it down and wraps it. Dude won't or can't say who's barrel blank it is. It shoots <7/16" always at 100 and will hit a 10 to 6" plate pretty much every time at 1000, with no wind, with a ES of 15. It's not bad. I don't know him personally but the owner is great to deal with. So far. It took 3 months to get that 7mag 8T done.

Last edited:
YES BUDDY!!! I thank you for that!! Yes I will let you know !! The last time I fired the rifle was in the 90's and I was using both 165 and 180 SGK Boast tail bullets. I let a friend borrow that rifle ,in 1992 because he had no suitable hunting rifle, and he shot a Whitetail in Texas at approx.125 to 150 yards , and he said the deer fell down and flipped legs up. It was a light load also using 77.0 Grns of 4831, Fed. 215 's and the 165 Grn SGK's. At a Modest 2800fps, it was a really great 100-yard target load back then, in that rifle, and it was ok for whitetail as well. Just not real far away. I have H 4831SC and H 1000 ready to begin the new development. I doubt any load I make today will shoot groups like that old 1992 load did!!! One flyer but 6 good shots. I may remake that load and try the Horn 165grn. (SST, my 06 deer bullet ) just for fun.
@Lenny Foffa If I remember correctly, @roughneck065 has used168grn bullets with H4831. Maybe he will chime in

When I go to the public range in Phoenix with my braked 280 AI, I just apologize to the shooters on the sides of me before I uncase the rifle!

That might be my new description in the apology, "she's a bit barky"!
"She's a bit barky". Now that's one statement, with your permission, I'd like to use. I have an Ultradyne Apollo Max on my 308 that clears my shooting bench of anything lightweight every time I shoot. Beats dusting though!🫢🤪

My brother was looking for something similar to what the op wants. He went with a lone peak ti action, 26" proof barrel, and ag composite stock. It weighs 6 pounds bare and 7.5 scoped. He had it chambered for the 300 RUM. Something like this sounds like what the op is looking for?

No sir, Japanese rifle, 26 inch mag na ported. mark V wood stock, Pilar bedded. Had a 3.5X to 10X Leupold VX 3 on it back then.

Last edited:
"She's a bit barky". Now that's one statement, with your permission, I'd like to use. I have an Ultradyne Apollo Max on my 308 that clears my shooting bench of anything lightweight every time I shoot. Beats dusting though!🫢🤪
You absolutely have my permission! I'd use it but my memory is good for about 30 seconds so I'm sure I'll forget it by tomorrow morning!

I and my son use nothing but 7mm for deer antelope and elk. I just had a 7 PRC built and my son uses a 7 MAX. This will be his 5th elk hunt this year. He has killed 4 elk. All of them have been shot between 490 and 590 yards. All 4 have dropped within 20 yards of where they were shot st. All of my elk I have shot have dropped within 50 yards but I have only killed 2 with a rifle as I mostly archery hunt elk (because it's easier to draw tags).

As everyone has said, shot placement is key. Also knowing your limits is key. I'm comfortable taking an elk out to 800 yards if it's 5mph wind or lower. If it's more than that, I'm gonna get closer until I'm comfortable. If the animal gets away without me getting a shot because I'm getting closer, it gets away. I'll try to find it the next day or so. If I don't, well that's hunting.

And just so we are clear haha, those are my self imposed limits. Not saying others should be limited to that as well.

Last edited: