270wsm for elk/deer

Sheephuntr

Live in a small town south of Boise Idaho called M
New to the 270wsm game here. Any pointers for a newb out there. The gun is a Winchester M70 black shadow. I got it so I can build it into a long range rig. I will be reloading eventually an I'd like to be shooting 150+ grain bullets. Since it's a factory rifle 150s are about max weight, what would be a good elk long range setup? Bergers? Sierra? Hornady? What about powders???? And primers???

Hornady 140gr btsp in front of h-4350 61.5 and Winchester WLRM primers, approx 3150 fps, hunting handloads, Winchester supreme 140gr accubonds chronyed over 3300fps out of a 23.5" bbl is what I have had the best luck with, if your not building for now I'd put what I could afford into glass they'll reach way out if you put the time in, good luck

140 Berger classic hunters are about the highest bc bullet you can stabilize in a 10 twist barrel. You should be able to launch those at 3200 or better, that's good medicine for long range hunting in my book.

Some guys have had good luck stabilizing the 165 matrix vld in a 1:10 twist. If you're shooting at elevation above 2k feet I think you'll be good. For stock: I'd look hard at the ag composites alpine hunter or altitude stock. Very light and rigid, but won't break the bank. Have the rifle trued up by a good smith, trigger tuned down to 2# or what you're comfortable with. I'd buy some good norma brass, plenty of RL26, fed 215m primers and find a load. You should be able to get 3k fps with 65-67gr powder. Always work up though.

Some guys have had good luck stabilizing the 165 matrix vld in a 1:10 twist. If you're shooting at elevation above 2k feet I think you'll be good. For stock: I'd look hard at the ag composites alpine hunter or altitude stock. Very light and rigid, but won't break the bank. Have the rifle trued up by a good smith, trigger tuned down to 2# or what you're comfortable with. I'd buy some good norma brass, plenty of RL26, fed 215m primers and find a load. You should be able to get 3k fps with 65-67gr powder. Always work up though.
AG composites? I've never heard of them, where would I find one?

So 99% of my shooting will be around 2300 feet elevation, will the matrix bullets work???
They recommend 1:9 but I know guys have shot them in 10 twist and had good luck. It'd be the best bullet for your application if it's stabil. How far are you going to shoot?

The 270wsm is an incredibly accurate and effective chambering. My favorite load is a 140 Accubond with 7728 powder. I plan to be testing some R26 soon in it. The 140 Accubond will usuallly shoot well under MOA at factory magazine lengths - I've found it to be very forgiving. I'd recommend that you have the muzzle re crowned just so you know it's perfect then make sure the action is bedded. You'll have a rifle capable of anything in North America well into 850 yards.

I'll second the 140 Accubond with RL26. 3250 with zero pressure signs out of a factory throated barrel with consistent half MOA accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.