270wsm or 280ai for Elk/Mule Deer to 800 yds

As EricL mentioned, i think the .280AI w/your 1:9.5 twist and 168gr-ers will be the better option than the 270WSM which hovers on the border with it's 1:10 twist.

Out to 800yds the BC differences may not negatively effect "real world" performance too much, whereas stabilization can at all ranges.

To me, i think you can rest more confidently that the 168gr pills are able to be maximized in your lothar. You can take her up to max. pressure/velocity and keep the bullet rpm's where they should be even through the lower transonic stage.

Also, good on ya for not taking a shot you were not 100% confident with your gear.

Good ethics in action.

Certainly a good chance this will be the way I go, a smaller portion of the decision will be the "fit" and "feel" of that scope on my lightweight rig.....on the flip side....it would be a nice advantage to have that extra magnification and horsepower in the alpine.

Thanks I will check out that link later tonight when I can find some quiet time...

I'm pretty sure if you ping him for more info he'll gladly help. I could be wrong but he's probably has the most "real world" experiences here in Matrix bullets esp. in 165 and have taken the most games.

After reading all his previous post about them, I was inspired to use the 165 and 175 (mostly) in my .270 AI ... and I never looked back.

Good luck!

My 10 twist 270 WSM would not shoot the 165 Matrix. The 150 gr Berger VLD might be a good bullet for your barrel. I shoot 140 VLD's through mine and they are very accurate.

So I mounted my scope on my 280ai, For bases I was concerned about cheek weld which made me concerned about a 20moa base, but also concerned about having enough dial up if I didn't use one...

So I dug into my box and found a couple sets of weaver 2 piece flat bases, used low vortex rings and my lowest bases. Cheek weld was pretty good, 20moa base would certainly require some sort of bag or rest. Offhand feels good, prone feels like I might need a bit of a riser...time will tell.

I then bore sighted it, centered the dial and checked for how much elevation I had left....4 revolutions exactly which equals 46 minutes...which looks like enough to get over 1300 yards....plenty for a gun that now weighs with the new scope 6 lbs 14oz

Sight height ended up at 1.684"

I revisited an old thread I started on another forum when I originally built my 280ai in 2007, I was having doubt if I was remembering my barrel twist correctly.... looks like things get foggy when I get older....cause that old post says my barrel is a 9 twist barrel, which makes me tingly in my special spots.....

I will measure to confirm but I believe 2007 me before I believe 2016 me...

I built a .270 WSM with a 1-9 twist Benchmark. I shoot the 165 Matrix at 2990. I shot my bull at 748 last year and it worked pretty well. I also shot that gun in the Vortex Extreme with mntwrunner (Randy) last year. I am trading the short action out for a long action though. It was pretty much a single shot with my seating depth, even with a Wyatts mag box.

My two recomations would be try the 150gr long range accubond in your 270 wsm and the try the Hornady 162 Eld-x in the 280 AI both should help you out and both should stabilize fine in the barrels you already have.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.